    - allow me to have multiple versions of the same image

    It would be nice if it could manage how and when images are stored on cds.

    Martin

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Martin_Djern=E6s?=, Apr 16, 2004

  2. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Martin_Djern=E6s?=

    Lourens Smak Guest

    In article <bTHfc.663$a41.46151@attbi_s53>,
    Martin Djernaes <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > What software do you use for your archive?

    Extensis portfolio

    > I rather want a simple piece of software doing my archiving than one
    > which try to everything, but I really want that it:
    > - doesn't mess with the original location of the image

    It catalogs what folders/drives/CD's you want cataloged; it doesn't move
    anything.

    > - doesn't edit the original picture in any way

    of course not, although there is an option to "push" IPTC data into an
    image.

    > - uses the file name as identifier (at least until the first dot)

    It can search & sort by all kinds of indetifiers, including the
    filename. (filesize, date, added keywords, custom fields, etc)

    > - allow me to have multiple versions of the same image

    Of course. You'll have to let it show some more info beneath the image
    though, often the tumbnails are practically the same. If you choose to
    display filesize for example, it's easy to distinguish between hi-res
    and low-res files of the same image. Portfolio is highly customizeable,
    so this will be easy to realize.

    > It would be nice if it could manage how and when images are stored on cds.

    That's what I use it for, mainly. I can (visually) search and sort my
    images, and quickly see on which CD a specific image is.

    I especially like the way the "find" command acts like a filter, so if I
    search for "amsterdam" it only shows images of amsterdam. (some programs
    only jump to the first image of amsterdam, leaving all the rest
    displayed...)

    There are several other similar programs.
    ;-)
    Lourens

    Lourens Smak, Apr 16, 2004

  3. PeterZiminski, Apr 16, 2004