    options would also be welcome - although expense is a factor ;)

    Thank you
    Ice

    ice, Aug 6, 2004

  2. "ice" <> wrote in message
    news:4113880c$0$521$...
    > Hello
    >
    > I have about 9 gb sitting on my hard drive of photos that I need to back

    up.
    > I have found that some of the CDs I burned about 8 years ago no longer

    work
    > due to the deterioration of the medium and I really don't want that to
    > happen to photos.
    > Can anyone recommend a good archive process? Preferable DVDs butother
    > options would also be welcome - although expense is a factor ;)
    > Thank you
    > Ice

    Why not archive to another hard drive? They're getting cheaper by the
    month, and there must be data recovery services available should they give
    trouble. (And I do have both CD & DVD burners.)

    --
    M Stewart
    Milton Keynes, UK

    Malcolm Stewart, Aug 6, 2004

  3. ice

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    ice wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > I have about 9 gb sitting on my hard drive of photos that I need to back up.
    >
    > I have found that some of the CDs I burned about 8 years ago no longer work
    > due to the deterioration of the medium and I really don't want that to
    > happen to photos.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a good archive process? Preferable DVDs butother
    > options would also be welcome - although expense is a factor ;)
    >
    > Thank you
    > Ice

    Hi Ice...

    I have a suggestion, if I may?

    Keeping in mind that you said expense is a factor, blank
    media is incredibly inexpensive these days... particulary
    so if you shop carefully, and buy when the right opportunities
    present themselves. We can find dvd's for as little as
    75 cents (cdn) each once in a while.

    What I do with irreplacable pics is burn them a few times,
    then distribute one copy to each of the kids and one to
    a favored neighbor.

    Then once in a while (a year or two at most) I re-burn my
    copy so as to have a fresh copy. (so do the kids). Because
    they take so little space, we also keep the older one just
    in case.

    The neighbor that gets a copy doesn't use it, doesn't
    touch it - just sticks it away up top of a bedroom closet,
    or perhaps the unused corner of a top kitchen cabinet.
    Naturally I do the same for them.

    With this "plan", we protect not only from bad media, but
    also from fire, smoke, water, burglary, vandalism...

    And remembering your expense counts part, precious pics
    of your kids or grandkids are imho worth the price of
    a coffee once every year or so, eh? :)

    Take care.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Aug 6, 2004
  4. ice

    ice Guest

    Hello Ken

    Multiple copies in multiple places...

    Sounds like a plan :)

    Is it worth getting expensive DVDr for the backups or is one DVDr the same
    as any other?

    If they are different, any brand recommendations?

    Cheers

    Ice

    ice, Aug 6, 2004
  5. ice

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    ice wrote:
    > Hello Ken
    >
    > Multiple copies in multiple places...
    >
    > Sounds like a plan :)
    >
    > Is it worth getting expensive DVDr for the backups or is one DVDr the same
    > as any other?
    >
    > If they are different, any brand recommendations?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Ice

    Hi Ice...

    I'm pretty sure that the pro's among us are going to
    disagree - and I stand ready to be corrected - but I've
    never found even the slightest difference. I've bought
    high quality (need 'em NOW), and I've bought based
    solely on price and near as I can tell they're all the
    same.

    One thing I neglected to mention in the first post -
    we never compress them - no zip's or rar's. If we did
    we could save a few kbytes or even a bunch of megs, but
    then one corrupted byte in the wrong place could make a
    whole archive unusable rather than just one or two pics.

    Take care.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Aug 6, 2004
  6. ice

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Malcolm Stewart wrote:
    > "ice" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hello
    >>
    >>I have about 9 gb sitting on my hard drive of photos that I need to back

    > up.
    >
    >>I have found that some of the CDs I burned about 8 years ago no longer

    > work
    >
    >>due to the deterioration of the medium and I really don't want that to
    >>happen to photos.
    >>Can anyone recommend a good archive process? Preferable DVDs butother
    >>options would also be welcome - although expense is a factor ;)
    >>Thank you
    >>Ice

    > Why not archive to another hard drive? They're getting cheaper by the
    > month, and there must be data recovery services available should they give
    > trouble. (And I do have both CD & DVD burners.)

    Hi Malcolm...

    With all due respect, I'd suggest not using it as your
    only backup...

    It still leaves you exposed to all kinds of malware...

    And when (not if) the drive crashes, sure there are data
    recovery services... but they require that you take out
    a second mortgage - unbelievably expensive. :(

    Take care.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Aug 6, 2004
  7. ice

    Alfred Molon Guest

    ice <> wrote:
    >Hello Ken
    >
    >Multiple copies in multiple places...
    >
    >Sounds like a plan :)
    >
    >Is it worth getting expensive DVDr for the backups or is one DVDr the same
    >as any other?
    >
    >If they are different, any brand recommendations?

    For the DVD burner I'm using (LG GSA 4040B) I have set up a
    compatibility list here, based on reports of different people:

    http://www.ddde.de/4040B.html
    (sorry German only)

    It appears that the cheapest media cause problems: some don't burn, some
    burn only at 2x instead of 4x, some can't be read in other DVD players.
    In the case of the Sky DVDs it even happened that the burning process
    went fine, but only a few months later all data was unreadable and
    unretrievably lost (this is what Andreas reported a few days ago).

    So, if you value your images, don't use the cheapest media. I recommend
    that you use branded media - check with the manufacturer of your DVD
    burner what brands they recommend.
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, Aug 6, 2004
  8. ice

    John McGraw Guest

    "Malcolm Stewart" <> wrote in message news:<cf05as$s92$>...
    > "ice" <> wrote in message
    > > Hello
    > >
    > > I have about 9 gb sitting on my hard drive of photos that I need to back

    > up.
    > > I have found that some of the CDs I burned about 8 years ago no longer

    > work
    > > due to the deterioration of the medium and I really don't want that to
    > > happen to photos.
    > > Can anyone recommend a good archive process? Preferable DVDs butother
    > > options would also be welcome - although expense is a factor ;)
    > > Thank you
    > > Ice

    > Why not archive to another hard drive? They're getting cheaper by the
    > month, and there must be data recovery services available should they give
    > trouble. (And I do have both CD & DVD burners.)

    Dear senior ICE
    Where these deteriorating CDs burned on CD-R or CD-RW? I only know
    what I've read, but the consensus seems to be that CD-RW is very
    unstable, but CD-R should be stable for some time.
    I also understand that no magnetic media has archival permanents,
    which, of course, includes hard drives. Hope that helps, John

    John McGraw, Aug 7, 2004
  9. "ice" <> writes:

    > Hello Ken
    >
    > Multiple copies in multiple places...
    >
    > Sounds like a plan :)

    And when you are making multiple copies, use different brands of media (ie, if
    you buy a stack of DVDs and it was a bad bunch, you don't increase your
    reliability by making multiple copies, since it is likely all copies will be
    bad). Also, burn at a slower speed than the max, and verify the files after
    burning.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Aug 7, 2004
  10. Ken Weitzel <> writes:

    >And when (not if) the drive crashes, sure there are data
    >recovery services... but they require that you take out
    >a second mortgage - unbelievably expensive. :(

    In addition, a real physical head crash onto the data surface can
    grind and scatter the recording medium into (physical) tiny bits that
    then distribute themselves around the inside surface of the drive
    housing. *Nothing* can recover the data that was on that platter; it
    has literally been scattered to the wind.

    I have a disk platter sitting on the mantel that is the result of such a
    crash. The head removed *all* the oxide from the aluminum platter, down
    to bare aluminum, and then started chewing off aluminum flakes before
    the drive finally shut itself down.

    Fortunately, I had a tape backup.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Aug 7, 2004