    intend to scan and copy and retouch(photo 7) old family black and
    white pictures for prosperity.
    Any help here would be appreciated.
    Jeff Furber, Jul 10, 2003

  2. Jeff Furber

    Alex Leed Guest

    (Jeff Furber) wrote:
    > I intend to scan and copy and retouch(photo 7) old family black
    > and white pictures for prosperity.

    How do you plan to make money doing this?

    -- Alex
    Alex Leed, Jul 10, 2003

  3. Just archival paper will not help much. The paper will last 300 years
    and the ink will last 5-30.

    Ink and paper work together. You need the combination that works best
    giving you the quality output and the life you want.

    Frankly at this time, I believe the best bet for long life is printing
    using one the systems that exposes standard photo paper which is processed
    conventionally. That should give you 30-50 years.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Jul 10, 2003
  4. Jeff Furber

    Paul Worden Guest

    Epson 2100 or 2200 with Archival matt paper is rated (by Epson) for 100
    years.
    I use the Semi-Gloss (45 years).

    Archival ratings given by the manufacturer are the very best that you can
    expect. Unless framing and display are perfect you will get less.

    For archival prints you need a pigment printer - most inkjets use dye based
    inks with a life of 10-15 years max.. As far as I know the Epson is the only
    affordable (!) pigment printer on the market.
    --
    Paul Worden
    remove NOSPAM from email address to reply
    Paul Worden, Jul 11, 2003
  5. Jeff Furber

    mfa Guest

    Sell them back to the family, I suppose.
    Sounds like a get-rich-slow scheme. 8^)

    mfa, Jul 11, 2003
  6. Jeff Furber

    Tom Monego Guest

    Traditional chemical prints are only good for 20 or so years for color, B&W is
    a different story, providing good paper, and washing techniques are observed,
    which eliminates machine drugstore machine prints. An Epson 2200 will with an
    archival paper, like Epson Fine Art will last a long time. Inkjet compares
    favorably with chemical processes even most dye based printers.

    Tom

    In article <o3mPa.7642$>,
    says...

    Tom Monego, Jul 11, 2003
  7. Jeff Furber

    Patrick L. Guest

    > I would like to find the best quality archival photo paper available.I
    > intend to scan and copy and retouch(photo 7) old family black and
    > white pictures for prosperity.

    I don't think you are going to prosper doing this, however, you might
    consider doing it for your posterity, and not your prosperity.

    LOL,

    Patrick Lockwood
    Patrick L., Jul 12, 2003