    inkset? the wilhelm site sucks.

    has anyone noticed fading of the piezography inksets?

    thanks
    billyboy, Apr 27, 2006

  2. billyboy

    tomm42 Guest

    billyboy wrote:
    > hi everyone
    >
    > i just attended a workshop on digital printing in which densitometer
    > measured evidence of significant fading of the original PiezographyBW
    > inkset was demonstrated. i'm having trouble finding the test results
    > for these inks, done i believe by wilhelm research.
    >
    > does anyone know how to find the ratings of the original piezography
    > inkset? the wilhelm site sucks.
    >
    > has anyone noticed fading of the piezography inksets?
    >
    > thanks

    http://www.wilhelm-research.com/ is the site, you'll have to go through
    it to see if you can find the information you need.
    If you read articles by Wilhelm you will find out that the archival
    nature of prints is based on a lot of things. Ink, paper, ambient
    light, framing, and atmospheric conditions just being a few. The bad
    part is they are all intertwined. Certain inks can only be used on
    certain papers is one truism, some archival papers that do not have
    coatings (it was a big thig several years ago to print on "pure"
    uncoated papers) keep absorbing the ink and over time the image
    degrades and the density appears to fade. Or inks can just be
    incompatible with certain papers. Happened to me a couple of years ago,
    a highly touted paper stock, prints looked nice off the printer, two
    weeks later the black was gone, turned green. I was printing with dye
    inks because I could get a better black at the time. I found papers
    that gave me long lasting prints and ones that were here today gone
    tomorrow. I suspect that with the pieziographic ink set, especially
    early usage the paper requirements were not set out, and that was the
    problem, or someone used and uncoated paper.

    Tom
    tomm42, Apr 27, 2006