Architecture -- Help!

Discussion in 'MCSD' started by Kenny, Nov 16, 2003.

  1. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    Hi guys, I need your opinions and suggestions

    this is the scenario:

    40 or more clients distributed along the city (those are
    like Kiosks), each one is collecting information in a DB
    locally (MSAccess xx) , and each one has to update a
    central statistics DB (SqlServer7 or 2000) located in a
    Server Remotely every 5 or 10 minutes, using a wireless
    net to access the internet at 56kb (The package to send is
    going to be 4Kb max per trip), this in not an online-
    fulltime connection, the access to the net is only made
    when it is necessary to update the statistics server (via
    modem), also it is not VPN.

    Requirements:
    The App on the clients have to be as light as possible
    cause the machines are not powerful, those clients
    machines are only to collect data locally and then send it
    to the server.

    My solution so far:

    * Client App: VB6 - MSAccess Or VB.NET - MSAccess (It
    Depends on the hardware .Net requirement)

    * For communication: VB6 - Interop - Web Service -
    SQLserver Or VB.NET - WebService - SQLServer.

    * On the server: A Web Service(s) updating the
    Statistics DB

    My questions:

    * What are the minimum Requirements (Mhz ,Ram ,SO) for a
    client machine running a .Net App?
    * Am I on the right way or am I totally wrong, How would
    you make it?

    Any Idea will be appreciated
    Thanks,

    Kenny

    Kenny, Nov 16, 2003

  2. Kenny

    Paul Robson Guest

    Kenny wrote:

    > Hi guys,  I need your opinions and  suggestions
    >
    > this is the scenario:
    >
    > 40 or more clients distributed along the city (those are
    > like Kiosks),  each one is collecting information in a DB
    > locally (MSAccess xx) , and each one has to update a
    > central statistics DB (SqlServer7 or 2000) located in a
    > Server Remotely every 5 or 10 minutes, using a wireless
    > net to access the internet at 56kb (The package to send is
    > going to be  4Kb max per trip), this in not an online-
    > fulltime connection, the access to the net is only made
    > when it is necessary to update the statistics server (via
    > modem), also it is not VPN.
    >
    > Requirements:
    > The App on the clients have to be as light as possible
    > cause the machines are not powerful, those clients
    > machines are only to collect data locally and then send it
    > to the server.

    Well..... how about not using Access etc ? At the risk of sounding rather
    prehistoric, given you are using so little data, why not just write an app
    to collect that and send it in some simple text format - encrypted if you
    need it - and do all the work at the far end.

    Paul Robson, Nov 16, 2003

  3. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    Hi Paul,

    The clients are going to be Pentium I or Pentium II with
    64Mb Ram. I can not invest on more powerful machines
    because of the costs (They are so many 40+), the local DB
    in access is more light than the lighter SQLserver version
    (MSDE), also the local data will be save (in the central
    server) daily (and then erased locally) so I don't need
    to store large amount of data locally.

    You are right I will send a simple text format encrypted,
    but the frequency can be 5 min, 10 min, 15 min etc, so I
    need to collect data locally until the transmission is
    made.

    The information have to be sent periodically because
    decisions have to be made based on this data (the info
    represent money). The clients are going to be collecting
    data eight hours per day (kind of telemetry system).

    if you think I can make it easier, please let me know how

    Thanks Paul

    Kenny, Nov 17, 2003
  4. Kenny

    Paul Robson Guest

    Kenny wrote:

    > The clients  are going to be Pentium I or Pentium II with
    > 64Mb Ram. I can not invest on more powerful machines
    > because of the costs (They are so many 40+), the local DB
    > in access is more light than the lighter SQLserver version
    > (MSDE), also the local data will be save (in the central
    > server) daily (and then erased locally)  so I don't need
    > to store large amount of data locally.
    >
    > You are right I will send a simple text format encrypted,
    > but the frequency can be  5 min, 10 min, 15 min etc, so I
    > need to collect data locally until the transmission is
    > made.
    >
    > The information have to be sent periodically because
    > decisions have to be made based on this data  (the info
    > represent money). The clients are going to be collecting
    > data eight hours per day (kind of telemetry system).
    >
    > if you think I can make it easier, please let me know how

    It's rather difficult to say. It sounds like some sort of census taking or
    survey system ? If you are so strapped for cash why actually spend money on
    Windows and Access licenses (which would cost more than the computers if
    they are P1s).

    If you are using it simply for data collection you need a simple cheap tool
    to do this - if you are definite about Windows then probably just write it
    in VB or Delphi, or even write it as an MSDOS program (you could use some
    of Borland's tools which are now available free).

    All this program needs to do by the sound of it is simply collect and
    validate the data (presumably) in a basic way, put it in a file and squirt
    it via a Dialup modem to your analysis machine.

    This can be whatever you like - if you want to use Access (yuk!) or VB.NET
    or whatever, it doesn't really matter, whatever the best tool is for the
    analysis you want to do.

    Paul Robson, Nov 17, 2003
  5. Kenny

    Guest Guest

    TAB Delimited vs. MS Access

    Gnerally, a .NET application will have greater system requirements than a VB
    6.0 app. This may be an issue if the kiosks are marginal machines. Also,
    based on my assumption that you are performing only inserts to the local
    data, I think that TAB Delimited format (written using I/O text functions)
    would have the following advantages over ADO / MS Access:

    - By avoiding ADO, you will use fewer system dependencies / resources.
    - The files will be smaller, thus uploading faster.
    - TAB Delimited is more reliable. Unlike MS Access, it doesn't require
    occasional maintenace (compacting data / indexes, etc.).
    - TAB Delimited files can be Bulk Copied into SQL Server.

    WKidd

    Guest, Nov 17, 2003
  6. Kenny

    Guest Guest

    Re: TAB Delimited vs. MS Access

    Also, I'd recommend:

    - Invest about $50 per PC and upgrade memory to at least 128 MB.
    - Forget about Web Services and transmit the files using FTP.

    WKidd

    Guest, Nov 17, 2003
  7. Kenny

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >The clients are going to be Pentium I or Pentium II with
    >64Mb Ram. I can not invest on more powerful machines
    >because of the costs (They are so many 40+),

    What! I seen more powerful machines dumped on sidewalks!

    Kline Sphere, Nov 17, 2003
  8. First, I would can the Access database. As long as you are a licensed Visual
    Studio developer, you can deploy MSDE to the kiosks. While MSDE has a 5 user
    limit at any specific point in time, you are talking a kiosk, which only one
    person can use, at a time. MSDE is SQL Server, which means you can use pull
    replication to get the stats to the central database, which eliminates the
    need to code a custom upload.

    Light app? You can go light with a kiosk with XP, but you can even go
    lighter with CE as the OS and SQL CE as the database. This will give you an
    extremely low power OS that can run on battery easily. If you are connected
    to power, you do not have to consider this. You can get .NET rather light
    either way, but you will need storage, whether hard drive or DOM chip.

    I would opt for .NET over VB6, although the familiarity of the developer(s)
    may be a factor here. You can get some old machines that can run .NET fine,
    as long as you have enough memory. As memory is fairly cheap, it is not an
    expensive solution.

    I would define the business specs (functional specs) completely before
    getting into the hardware issues. The initial expense may be lower with VB,
    but the upkeep could get expensive.

    If money is the only object here, you can aim for the VB 6 version. I would
    still consider a bit more RAM and MSDE, as it will save you tons of time
    when transfering data.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Think Outside the Box!

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Nov 18, 2003
  9. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    Umm ok Tab Delimited format is going to be used to send
    the info (that is the package). the Db must exist because
    it have parameter that the application has to read

    Now, Why should I use FTP (faster?, Ithink I'will work
    more or not?) I thinking about Web services because I need
    an application on the server reading the Package (.txt)
    and updating the Central DB with the info inside, so that
    is why I think Web service is nice.

    What is the advantage of FTP (To be honest I've never used
    it on my apps, may be this is the time..)

    ky

    Kenny, Nov 18, 2003
  10. Kenny

    Guest Guest

    Web Services would require more bandwidth (XML tagging the data) and
    implementing additional programming on the client and server. Perhaps that
    this is not an issue.

    As an alternative to both Web Services and FTP, you could just BCP directly
    from the PC to the server. This would be very efficient and involve
    programming a single command. For example:

    bcp.exe c:\data\filename.dat in dbname..tablename -c -S 999.999.999.999 -U
    uid -P pw

    Here, 999.999.999.999 represents the IP address of SQL Server. You will need
    to discuss with the LAN administrator if this is an option.

    WKidd

    Guest, Nov 18, 2003
  11. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    Umm ok , I have not think about replication because I
    don't know if it would work fine, remember the net is
    wireless, and 40 clients can be replicating at any time,
    There is no LAN administrator, actually there is no LAN
    (VLAN,VPN) only Internet connection.

    If I had a VLAN (The clients are along the city) I just
    make direct connection to the server and write down the
    info on the DB.

    Can BPC or any kind of replication be used without a LAN? d

    FTP put a file on the server then I need to have a program
    running on the server to read the file and update the DB
    right?

    ************

    ************

    Kenny, Nov 18, 2003
  12. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    Nobody has tell me anything about Winsock, TcpClient to
    establish the communication, I really don't want to go
    this way but is it an option or is it better not to go so
    low?

    Kenny, Nov 18, 2003
  13. Kenny

    Guest Guest

    Replication would involve installing MSDE on each PC, and this would require
    more memory resources than what some of your machines currently have.

    BCP is just a command line program for importing data into any named or IP
    reachable server. I'm assuming that the final destination of this collected
    data is a SQL Server behind a company firewall. It is the network admin for
    this server whose permission you will need, if you want the server reachable
    by an IP address over the internet.

    WKidd

    Guest, Nov 18, 2003
  14. Kenny

    Guest Guest

    You can use Microsoft's "Internet Transfer Control".

    Catalyst also has a free version of their FTP transfer component:
    http://www.catalyst.com/support/help/cstools4/file/guide/overview.html

    Also distributed with Windows is a DOS command line program called TFTP.EXE,
    but documentation on this program is very sparse.

    WKidd

    Guest, Nov 18, 2003
  15. WKidd wrote:

    > You can use Microsoft's "Internet Transfer Control".
    >
    > Catalyst also has a free version of their FTP transfer component:
    > http://www.catalyst.com/support/help/cstools4/file/guide/overview.html
    >
    > Also distributed with Windows is a DOS command line program called TFTP.EXE,
    > but documentation on this program is very sparse.
    >
    > WKidd

    TFTP.EXE is a client for the Trivial File Transfer Protocol, which is
    entirely different from FTP. It's used to send firmware upgrades to
    routers and distribute BOOTP code to BOOTP clients.

    Try NCFTP. It's open source.

    General Protection Fault, Nov 18, 2003
  16. Kenny

    Guest Guest

    It's also used extensively be Nimda for self replication. :)

    "General Protection Fault" <> wrote
    in message news:...

    Guest, Nov 18, 2003
  17. WKidd wrote:

    > It's also used extensively be Nimda for self replication. :)

    LOL!

    General Protection Fault, Nov 18, 2003
  18. Kenny

    Marc M Guest

    My solution:
    Create a web application located on the central office.
    That way your data is updated for every change.
    Do not need to store the data locally.

    Just my 2 cents
    Marcus Del Mlataos
    MCSD (6, .NET)
    mmxusa at netscape dot net

    Marc M, Nov 21, 2003
  19. Kenny

    Guest Guest

    That would be an excellent solution, however, he says the PCs are connected
    only periodically (5 - 10 minutes) via 56k dialup, and his budget is
    limited. With just 4kb of data, he might get by just caching the data in an
    array or collection and then submit via a web service when connected.

    WKidd

    Guest, Nov 21, 2003
  20. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    jaja It can not be a Web App

    "With just 4kb of data, he might get by just caching the
    data in an
    >array or collection and then submit via a web service

    when connected"

    This is the solution so far! no BPC, No replication, no
    ftp, no Internet Transfer control. I have checked the
    stuff and the easy way is Web Service in order to pass the
    data and update the server.

    ky

    Kenny, Nov 24, 2003