    computer with the adapter it will work for a short period of time ... but its
    like a guessing game. anyways does anyone know why im having this problem,
    and how can i solve it? thanks for any help in advance.
    =?Utf-8?B?dGlt?=, Sep 26, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?dGlt?=

    David Warren Guest

    Do you have SP2 installed? My wireless was doing the same thing and
    after uninstalling SP2, it worked fine. I know other people in the
    group are having some problems with SP2 and their wireless. If you do
    not have SP2 installed, then I am not sure what your problem is, but
    if you do have SP2 installed, trying unistalling it and see if that
    works.

    David

    David Warren, Sep 27, 2004

  3. =?Utf-8?B?dGlt?=

    Jeff Durham Guest

    Try eliminating all security settings and get that working first. Make sure
    WEP/WPA is off, SSID is being broadcast, and that you are not doing any MAC
    address filtering. Once you get it working, then decide which of these you
    want to enable. WPA is better than WEP, but WEP works fine in a home
    environment. I personally feel that if you are using WPA or WEP, turning
    off the SSID or enable MAC filtering is a waste of time. Anyone competent
    enough to hack into WPA or WEP is going to blow right by the SSID and MAC
    filtering in just a few minutes.

    Jeff

    Jeff Durham, Sep 27, 2004
  4. The "limited or no connectivity" message appears because after waiting for a
    while, windows did not receive an IP address for your connection. In home
    networks, the AP/router is usually responsible for handing out IP addresses.

    To solve the problem try the following:
    1) Make sure you have the most recent firmware for your router and also for
    your wireless card(s).
    2) Check your security settings on the wireless card and also on the
    AP/router. For example, if you are using WEP then make sure that you have
    the correct WEP key, and make sure the AP also has that same WEP key.
    3) Check the router to make sure it is still configured properly as a DHCP
    server so it hands out IP addresses.

    --
    Brandy Griffin, Microsoft

    Brandy Griffin [MSFT], Sep 27, 2004
  5. To follow on from that, rather than fix...

    I've been getting the same problem, and have yet to get to the bottom it.
    The really weird thing with mine is that I tried the obvious resetting
    everything, and powering back on, and when i do, I can get back into my
    Router (a Linksys). I can then set up all the properties such as encryption,
    channel, etc, HOWEVER, if I try and change the SSID from anything but the
    default 'linksys', windows suddenly loses my network, and can't find it
    again. Pretty crazy. I'd be interested in hearing any explanations/solutions.
    I feel like uninstalling SP2 is a bit of a cop-out!

    Sam

    =?Utf-8?B?U2Ft?=, Sep 30, 2004
  6. I have a possible lead for you to look at. I had the same problem after
    putting SP2 on my daughters latptop. I uninstalled it and it still had
    problems. I re-installed it and the connections appeared. It was working
    fine until I took the updates for MS Net Framework 1.0 SP3, MS Nete Framework
    1.1 SP1, and MS GDI + Detection tool. I did not install these and it is
    working fine still. It is one of these updates causing the problem. Try
    removing them if possible or you might have to uninstall XP SP2 and reload
    it, but don't take those updates. I haven't had time to load them one at a
    time to see which one it is but I believe it's one or all of them. Hope this
    guides you to a solution.

    =?Utf-8?B?Umljaw==?=, Oct 6, 2004
  7. I have a possible lead for you to look at. I had the same problem after

    =?Utf-8?B?Umljaw==?=, Oct 6, 2004