    first, my computer's case shorted to ground...

    thought maybe it was a fuse....checked them and they were all shorted!

    what a day to have such rotten luck!
    philo, Apr 1, 2004

  2. philo

    Shel-hed Guest

    On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 13:10:53 -0600, "philo" <> wrote in
    24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >what a bad day for me...
    >first, my computer's case shorted to ground...

    How does a case short to ground?

    >thought maybe it was a fuse....checked them and they were all shorted!

    If I put meter leads on the ends of a fuse and it shows shorted, I wouldn't consider
    it bad luck.

    >what a day to have such rotten luck!

    ???
    Shel-hed, Apr 1, 2004

  3. philo

    philo Guest

    "Shel-hed" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 13:10:53 -0600, "philo" <> wrote in
    > 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    > >what a bad day for me...
    > >first, my computer's case shorted to ground...

    > How does a case short to ground?
    >
    > >thought maybe it was a fuse....checked them and they were all shorted!

    > If I put meter leads on the ends of a fuse and it shows shorted, I

    wouldn't consider
    > it bad luck.

    when i was a kid...we came up with a great fuse tester:
    a high current source with an ammeter...
    two test leads and a switch.

    the note on the device read:

    connect fuse to leads.
    turn switch "on".
    if meter deflects momentarily, fuse *was* good!
    philo, Apr 1, 2004
  4. philo

    Juan Pérez Guest

    In news:,
    philo <> astounded everyone with this perfectly
    punctuated offering:
    > what a bad day for me...
    > first, my computer's case shorted to ground...
    >

    > thought maybe it was a fuse....checked them and they were all shorted!
    >
    > what a day to have such rotten luck!

    Is there a question here? If you are just looking for sympathy, you'll
    find it in your dictionary somewhere between Shite and Syphilis.
    Juan Pérez, Apr 1, 2004
  5. philo

    geopelia Guest

    "Juan Pérez" <juan234@.5678.spaz.spa> wrote in message
    > In news:,
    > philo <> astounded everyone with this perfectly
    > punctuated offering:
    > > what a bad day for me...
    > > first, my computer's case shorted to ground...
    > >

    > > thought maybe it was a fuse....checked them and they were all shorted!
    > >
    > > what a day to have such rotten luck!

    > Is there a question here? If you are just looking for sympathy, you'll
    > find it in your dictionary somewhere between Shite and Syphilis.

    There's food for thought!
    I prefer the old fuses where you just put a wire through, easy to see if it
    has failed and replace the wire. Too big for computers, though.
    geopelia, Apr 1, 2004
  6. On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 19:43:24 +0000, Shel-hed gibbered like a sex-crazed
    chimpanzee in <>

    > On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 13:10:53 -0600, "philo" <> wrote in
    > 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >>what a bad day for me...
    >>first, my computer's case shorted to ground...

    > How does a case short to ground?
    >
    >>thought maybe it was a fuse....checked them and they were all shorted!

    > If I put meter leads on the ends of a fuse and it shows shorted, I
    > wouldn't consider it bad luck.
    >
    >>what a day to have such rotten luck!

    > ???

    I guess the fact that it's April 1 kinda went WHOOOSH!!, eh, Shel? :)

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    Beer!!11!! The staff of life.
    The Old Sourdough, Apr 2, 2004
  7. philo

    philo Guest

    "The Old Sourdough" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 19:43:24 +0000, Shel-hed gibbered like a sex-crazed
    > chimpanzee in <>
    >
    > > On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 13:10:53 -0600, "philo" <> wrote in
    > > 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    > >
    > >>what a bad day for me...
    > >>first, my computer's case shorted to ground...

    > > How does a case short to ground?
    > >
    > >>thought maybe it was a fuse....checked them and they were all shorted!

    > > If I put meter leads on the ends of a fuse and it shows shorted, I
    > > wouldn't consider it bad luck.
    > >
    > >>what a day to have such rotten luck!

    > > ???

    > I guess the fact that it's April 1 kinda went WHOOOSH!!, eh, Shel? :)

    I sort of thought that by putting the date as april 1st right in the subject
    line was making things a bit too obvious...
    i guess not! :)
    philo, Apr 2, 2004
  8. On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 22:22:39 -0600, philo gibbered like a sex-crazed
    chimpanzee in <>

    snip

    > I sort of thought that by putting the date as april 1st right in the subject
    > line was making things a bit too obvious...
    > i guess not! :)

    <:^)

    The Old Sourdough, Apr 2, 2004
  9. Shel-hed wrote:

    > If I put meter leads on the ends of a fuse and it shows shorted, I
    > wouldn't consider it bad luck.

    Indeed. One of the corollaries of Murphy's Law states that a piece of
    equipment will always protect the fuse by blowing first.

    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA
    Gary G. Taylor, Apr 2, 2004
  10. philo

    Shel-hed Guest

    On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 22:22:39 -0600, "philo" <> wrote in
    24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >"The Old Sourdough" <> wrote in message
    >> I guess the fact that it's April 1 kinda went WHOOOSH!!, eh, Shel? :)

    Piggybacked to OS-
    No need to whooosh any more. All that is neededed is
    "brrruuuum brumm *BRAP POP* brrrrmmmm rrrrrmmmm......

    >I sort of thought that by putting the date as april 1st right in the subject
    >line was making things a bit too obvious...
    >i guess not! :)

    In my own defense, in this group (tintg), half the posts say "I'm a dum-asss" in one
    way or another. Something simple like one too many beers can cause ones posts to tip
    to the wrong side of the fence.
    ( "Posts"... "Fence"...? Get it? HAHA! )
    Shel-hed, Apr 3, 2004