    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2aumng.mspx

    Brett Roberts
    Microsoft NZ

    Brett Roberts, Apr 5, 2005

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 5, 2005

  3. Brett Roberts

    David Preece Guest

    Brett Roberts wrote:
    > This 240 day period expires on
    > April 12th US-time (April 13th in NZ).

    You know, I've been thinking about this for a couple of days and have
    come to the conclusion it's a good thing. Sure, there is going to be no
    end of bitching and whining (see follow up threads), and that Microsoft
    will undoubtedly take the opportunity to slip something into the EULA,
    but overall it's a good thing.

    Why? Every test I've heard of, seen done or otherwise shows SP2 to be
    very significantly more secure than anything Microsoft have ever
    produced. By a country mile. You can plop an SP2 machine on the end of a
    DSL line and expect it not to be r00t3d by the time you've finished
    making coffee. Forcing SP2 onto a few tens of millions of machines is
    going to reduce the number of targets for botnets etc. by an appreciable
    amount. I think it is a sign of Microsoft genuinely starting to fix the
    damage they've done to the Internet as a whole.

    I've heard good things about Server 2003 SP1 too. Maybe I'm beginning to
    temper on Microsoft a bit.

    Dave

    David Preece, Apr 7, 2005
  4. Brett Roberts

    shannon Guest

    On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 21:37:27 +1200, David Preece wrote:

    > Brett Roberts wrote:
    >> This 240 day period expires on
    >> April 12th US-time (April 13th in NZ).

    > You know, I've been thinking about this for a couple of days and have
    > come to the conclusion it's a good thing. Sure, there is going to be no
    > end of bitching and whining (see follow up threads), and that Microsoft
    > will undoubtedly take the opportunity to slip something into the EULA,
    > but overall it's a good thing.
    >
    > Why? Every test I've heard of, seen done or otherwise shows SP2 to be
    > very significantly more secure than anything Microsoft have ever
    > produced. By a country mile. You can plop an SP2 machine on the end of a
    > DSL line and expect it not to be r00t3d by the time you've finished
    > making coffee. Forcing SP2 onto a few tens of millions of machines is
    > going to reduce the number of targets for botnets etc. by an appreciable
    > amount. I think it is a sign of Microsoft genuinely starting to fix the
    > damage they've done to the Internet as a whole.
    >
    > I've heard good things about Server 2003 SP1 too. Maybe I'm beginning to
    > temper on Microsoft a bit.
    >
    > Dave

    Only if you have enabled Automatic update, and installed the patch to
    filter out SP2
    Otherwise it will be
    A: Already installed by Automatic Updates
    B: Be installed manually at your leisure with Windows Update.

    shannon, Apr 7, 2005
  5. Brett Roberts

    steve Guest

    Brett Roberts wrote:
    > When Microsoft enabled downloading of Service Pack 2 for Windows XP we made
    > a tool available which enabled customers to block PC's from receiving SP2
    > via Windows Update. This tool worked by implementing a simple registry tweak
    > which was checked by Windows Update prior to a download being initiated. It
    > was announced when SP2 was released that this tool would function for 240
    > days and that after this time Windows Update would no longer check for the
    > registry entry blocking SP2 downloads via WU. This 240 day period expires on
    > April 12th US-time (April 13th in NZ).
    >
    > If your organisation has utilised this tool to block downloads of SP2 I
    > would recommend you check out the following web site for more details:
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2aumng.mspx
    >
    > Brett Roberts
    > Microsoft NZ

    Thanks

    The article I read - and posted - implied that MS was unilaterally
    enabling auto-update and users of net-connected systems would have no
    way of avoiding the SP2 update.

    From what you say, if you have auto-update turned on, you will have no
    way of avoiding the update if you have used the tool you speak
    of.......but you can turn auto-update off and avoid all auto-updates.

    That would effectively make an orphan of any system unless and until
    they accepted the update.

    That's the sort of thing that saw me get rid of Windows. Either I take
    whatever this stuff is.....and who knows what's in there....or my OS is
    orphaned.

    steve, Apr 7, 2005
  6. Brett Roberts

    Windows User Guest

    On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 22:07:48 +1200, steve
    <> wrote:

    >Brett Roberts wrote:
    >> When Microsoft enabled downloading of Service Pack 2 for Windows XP we made
    >> a tool available which enabled customers to block PC's from receiving SP2
    >> via Windows Update. This tool worked by implementing a simple registry tweak
    >> which was checked by Windows Update prior to a download being initiated. It
    >> was announced when SP2 was released that this tool would function for 240
    >> days and that after this time Windows Update would no longer check for the
    >> registry entry blocking SP2 downloads via WU. This 240 day period expires on
    >> April 12th US-time (April 13th in NZ).
    >>
    >> If your organisation has utilised this tool to block downloads of SP2 I
    >> would recommend you check out the following web site for more details:
    >>
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2aumng.mspx
    >>
    >> Brett Roberts
    >> Microsoft NZ

    >Thanks
    >
    >The article I read - and posted - implied that MS was unilaterally
    >enabling auto-update and users of net-connected systems would have no
    >way of avoiding the SP2 update.
    >
    > From what you say, if you have auto-update turned on, you will have no
    >way of avoiding the update if you have used the tool you speak
    >of.......but you can turn auto-update off and avoid all auto-updates.
    >
    >That would effectively make an orphan of any system unless and until
    >they accepted the update.
    >
    >That's the sort of thing that saw me get rid of Windows. Either I take
    >whatever this stuff is.....and who knows what's in there....or my OS is
    >orphaned.

    Why is it that you expect Microsoft to maintain a separate code fork
    for people who refuse to install SP2 for no other reason than out and
    out paranoia

    Because all futurre updates of XP will be based on SP2
    At the moment all current patches are based on SP1 as minimum spec

    It's for the rather obvioius reason that they dont have to develop
    three versions (maybe four or five depending on how many future SPs
    there are) of every single update depending on whether the user has
    any particular SP installed

    And not being able to produce updates that depend on the technology in
    the latest SP - which increases the security of the Users PC

    Windows User, Apr 7, 2005
  7. steve wrote:
    >> If your organisation has utilised this tool to block downloads of SP2
    >> I would recommend you check out the following web site for more details:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2aumng.mspx

    > The article I read - and posted - implied that MS was unilaterally
    > enabling auto-update and users of net-connected systems would have no
    > way of avoiding the SP2 update.

    it's wrong.

    > From what you say, if you have auto-update turned on, you will have no
    > way of avoiding the update if you have used the tool you speak
    > of.......but you can turn auto-update off and avoid all auto-updates.

    auto-update is a service, you can tell it to notify, download and
    notify, and download notify, and install. "it's all about choice" :)

    > That would effectively make an orphan of any system unless and until
    > they accepted the update.

    you can choose which updates you wish to install, update will not
    require SP2 until SP3 is availible.

    > That's the sort of thing that saw me get rid of Windows. Either I take
    > whatever this stuff is.....and who knows what's in there....or my OS is
    > orphaned.

    It's only an OS, and there is plenty you can use to monitor whats doing
    things on a machine.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 7, 2005
  8. Brett Roberts

    Peter Guest

    shannon wrote:
    > Only if you have enabled Automatic update, and installed the patch to
    > filter out SP2
    > Otherwise it will be
    > A: Already installed by Automatic Updates
    > B: Be installed manually at your leisure with Windows Update.

    A more significant hurdle is probably the dial up connection that many users
    have. Even if WinXP wants to install SP2, it won't get it downloaded if
    the box doesn't stay connected long enough.

    This will probably mean thousands of unpatched boxes out there, and hence
    many more 0wn3d boxes spreading malware and spam to the rest of us.

    Peter

    Peter, Apr 7, 2005
  9. Windows User wrote:
    >>From what you say, if you have auto-update turned on, you will have no
    >>way of avoiding the update if you have used the tool you speak
    >>of.......but you can turn auto-update off and avoid all auto-updates.
    >>
    >>That would effectively make an orphan of any system unless and until
    >>they accepted the update.

    > Why is it that you expect Microsoft to maintain a separate code fork
    > for people who refuse to install SP2 for no other reason than out and
    > out paranoia

    > Because all futurre updates of XP will be based on SP2
    > At the moment all current patches are based on SP1 as minimum spec

    umm they do have two(maybe more) forks...
    they provide all patches for SPn and SPn-1 where n is the current version.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 7, 2005
  10. Peter wrote:
    >>Only if you have enabled Automatic update, and installed the patch to
    >>filter out SP2
    >>Otherwise it will be
    >>A: Already installed by Automatic Updates
    >>B: Be installed manually at your leisure with Windows Update.

    > A more significant hurdle is probably the dial up connection that many users
    > have. Even if WinXP wants to install SP2, it won't get it downloaded if
    > the box doesn't stay connected long enough.

    it pauses if it gets cut off and next time you dialup starts back where
    it got to.

    > This will probably mean thousands of unpatched boxes out there, and hence
    > many more 0wn3d boxes spreading malware and spam to the rest of us.

    the un-patched machines will remain un-patched, because the un-patched
    machine dont have auto-update turned on(obviously).

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 7, 2005
  11. Brett Roberts

    Windows User Guest

    On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 07:22:40 +1200, Peter <>
    wrote:

    >shannon wrote:
    >> Only if you have enabled Automatic update, and installed the patch to
    >> filter out SP2
    >> Otherwise it will be
    >> A: Already installed by Automatic Updates
    >> B: Be installed manually at your leisure with Windows Update.

    >A more significant hurdle is probably the dial up connection that many users
    >have. Even if WinXP wants to install SP2, it won't get it downloaded if
    >the box doesn't stay connected long enough.

    SP2 has been well distributed in the marketplace being sent out with
    various free CDs that are distributed around the place
    And I daesay you can get one for a nominal fee from MSNZ
    There are other ways of getting hold of it

    Windows User, Apr 7, 2005
  12. Brett Roberts

    Jerry Guest

    Windows User wrote:
    > On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 07:22:40 +1200, Peter <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>shannon wrote:
    >>
    >>>Only if you have enabled Automatic update, and installed the patch to
    >>>filter out SP2
    >>>Otherwise it will be
    >>>A: Already installed by Automatic Updates
    >>>B: Be installed manually at your leisure with Windows Update.

    >>A more significant hurdle is probably the dial up connection that many users
    >>have. Even if WinXP wants to install SP2, it won't get it downloaded if
    >>the box doesn't stay connected long enough.

    > SP2 has been well distributed in the marketplace being sent out with
    > various free CDs that are distributed around the place
    > And I daesay you can get one for a nominal fee from MSNZ
    > There are other ways of getting hold of it

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx
    and they mail you a CD from Dubai of all places.

    Jerry

    Jerry, Apr 8, 2005
  13. Brett Roberts

    shannon Guest

    On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 07:22:40 +1200, Peter wrote:

    > shannon wrote:
    >> Only if you have enabled Automatic update, and installed the patch to
    >> filter out SP2
    >> Otherwise it will be
    >> A: Already installed by Automatic Updates
    >> B: Be installed manually at your leisure with Windows Update.

    > A more significant hurdle is probably the dial up connection that many users
    > have. Even if WinXP wants to install SP2, it won't get it downloaded if
    > the box doesn't stay connected long enough.
    >
    > This will probably mean thousands of unpatched boxes out there, and hence
    > many more 0wn3d boxes spreading malware and spam to the rest of us.

    I assume its not just one file and the updates would download cumulatively
    Can any MS Wonks confirm ?

    shannon, Apr 8, 2005
  14. shannon wrote:
    >>A more significant hurdle is probably the dial up connection that many users
    >>have. Even if WinXP wants to install SP2, it won't get it downloaded if
    >>the box doesn't stay connected long enough.

    >>This will probably mean thousands of unpatched boxes out there, and hence
    >>many more 0wn3d boxes spreading malware and spam to the rest of us.

    > I assume its not just one file and the updates would download cumulatively
    > Can any MS Wonks confirm ?

    Im not a wonk, but if it tries to download it via automatic updates it
    pauses etc if the connection drops.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 8, 2005

  15. >> I assume its not just one file and the updates would download cumulatively
    >> Can any MS Wonks confirm ?

    > Im not a wonk, but if it tries to download it via automatic updates it
    > pauses etc if the connection drops.

    I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that its a series of files held in some
    temp dir.
    I know from firsthand experience with WU (not AU) that if the download is
    interupted I can go back to the page and the previously downloaded files
    arent downloaded again, and WU just picks up from where it left off

    Shane (aka froggy), Apr 8, 2005