    just can't get there.

    John
    , Apr 6, 2004

  2. Juan Pérez Guest

    Reboot

    Juan Pérez, Apr 6, 2004

  3. DC Guest

    wrote:
    > I am encountering a strange problem on a Windows XP machine running
    > Earthlink Total Access 5.0

    > The web browsing works fine. Checking email through Earthlink Webmail
    > works fine.

    > The problem is that the E-mail applications Earthlink mailbox and
    > Outlook 2000 absolutely, positively, will not check email. They just
    > time out.

    > I've double and triple checked server names, ports, and account login
    > information. They all look fine.

    > Earthlink Tech Support led me through re-initializing the TCP / IP
    > stack. No change. The mail apps look like they never even reach the
    > earthlink mail server.

    > Any idea what the problem can be? Again, web browsing works fine;
    > webmail works so the server is there and the account is okay. There
    > is plenty of mail in the account. Earthlink Mailbox and Outlook both
    > just can't get there.

    Firewall settings?

    --
    DC Registered Linux User #1000111011000111001

    DC, Apr 6, 2004
  4. boon Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I am encountering a strange problem on a Windows XP machine running
    > Earthlink Total Access 5.0
    >
    > The web browsing works fine. Checking email through Earthlink Webmail
    > works fine.
    >
    > The problem is that the E-mail applications Earthlink mailbox and
    > Outlook 2000 absolutely, positively, will not check email. They just
    > time out.
    >
    > I've double and triple checked server names, ports, and account login
    > information. They all look fine.
    >
    > Earthlink Tech Support led me through re-initializing the TCP / IP
    > stack. No change. The mail apps look like they never even reach the
    > earthlink mail server.
    >
    > Any idea what the problem can be? Again, web browsing works fine;
    > webmail works so the server is there and the account is okay. There
    > is plenty of mail in the account. Earthlink Mailbox and Outlook both
    > just can't get there.
    >
    > John

    The IE/Outlook installation has become corrupted. Reinstall/Repair IE or
    install latest version
    boon, Apr 6, 2004
  5. wrote:

    > The web browsing works fine.  Checking email through Earthlink Webmail
    > works fine.
    >
    > The problem is that the E-mail applications Earthlink mailbox and
    > Outlook 2000 absolutely, positively, will not check email.  They just
    > time out.
    >
    > I've double and triple checked server names, ports, and account login
    > information.  They all look fine.
    >
    > Earthlink Tech Support led me through re-initializing the TCP / IP
    > stack.  No change.  The mail apps look like they never even reach the
    > earthlink mail server.

    Perhaps a firewall blocking the connection or something.

    Click Start, Run, and type cmd then press enter.

    In the black console screen that appears, type "telnet servername
    110" (replacing the server name with the correct server name of course).

    If you get a response back from the remote server, you'll know that the
    problem isn't with your TCP stack or firewall etc, and must be something to
    do with the email clients. Actually, it couldn't be your TCP stack anyway,
    since web browsing works fine.

    (the above *should* be right for XP, although I haven't really used it).

    What are the settings you have for incoming mail server and port anyway? I
    know you said you've double-checked them, but worth posting them just in
    case there's anything wrong with them that someone here might spot.

    Cheers

    Dave P

    --
    David Precious
    http://www.preshweb.co.uk/
    David Precious, Apr 6, 2004
  6. Guest

    your ISP server is not good enough and you can try on not peak time again.
    <> ????

    > There's no hardware firewall or router . . it's a modem connection
    >
    > The settings I use are
    >
    > Receiving: pop.earthlink.net port 110
    >
    > Sending: smtp.earthlink.net port 25
    >
    > Again, web browsing works fine and webamil works . . it's just
    > during Outlook and Earthlink Mailbox send and check that apps time out
    , Apr 8, 2004

  8. Toolman Tim Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > There's no hardware firewall or router . . it's a modem connection
    >
    > The settings I use are
    >
    > Receiving: pop.earthlink.net port 110
    >
    > Sending: smtp.earthlink.net port 25
    >
    > Again, web browsing works fine and webamil works . . it's just
    > during Outlook and Earthlink Mailbox send and check that apps time out

    Okay - get yourself a basset hound, settle back in the recliner with your
    new friend in your lap, spend a few moments scratching those long ears, and
    pretty soon you won't miss your e-mail at all :)

    I used to get this kind of problem when there was a large file waiting to be
    downloaded - photos, etc.. The server would time out sending data and I'd
    have to close the connection and start over. Until I went into the webmail
    and downloaded the photo via the HTTP interface, then deleted the e-mail
    from the server, I'd have all kinds of problems.

    I doubt this will help, but the doggie thing REALLY works <g>

    Toolman
    Toolman Tim, Apr 8, 2004