    Reason? Not an appropriate topic. Better addressed as feedback
    (conveniently private).

    Before you start throwing around "Evil Empire" talk, think about this one.
    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 15, 2006

  2. * Colin Barnhorst:

    > Folks, whatever you think about Microsoft and its relationships with the
    > public newsgroups, it is light years more mature than Apple's relations with
    > its forum users.

    Definitely.

    > I have been bantering back and forth on a real and serious issue (MacBook
    > Pro heating problems) with a small group of users (on both sides of the
    > issue) in one of the forums on Apple.com. There was a lot of criticism of
    > Apple over the issue. A few minutes ago Apple locked the forum thread.

    So did Apple with several other threads that covered problems with
    Apples hardware (i.e. the humming PSUs of Powermac G5, schratched iPods,
    dying iBook boards etc)...

    > Before you start throwing around "Evil Empire" talk, think about this one.

    Exactly. And another thing to consider: the Gates Foundation spends lots
    of money for charity. Steve Jobs activity is limited to some words...

    Benjamin
    Benjamin Gawert, Jul 15, 2006

  3. We continued the discussion to a conlusion on another thread. I made the
    comment that folks are going to vent and if anyone thought that could be
    wished away then his reality check was coming back NSF. I just checked back
    and out of eight posts, only two remain on the thread. One references my
    comment, but the comment itself is gone. I've never seen the likes.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 15, 2006
  4. Of course I did satarize the "I'm a Mac" series of ads. I described the
    MacBook Pro heat issue this way:

    (Frumpy PC guy, sipping iced tea) "I'm a PC."
    (Mac dude, sweating profusely and fanning himself) "I'm a MacBook Pro."

    Is it something I said?

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 15, 2006
  5. Colin Barnhorst

    DP Guest

    > Exactly. And another thing to consider: the Gates Foundation spends lots
    > of money for charity. Steve Jobs activity is limited to some words...

    Maybe he'll be charitable if he ever starts making big money.
    DP, Jul 15, 2006
  6. A billion here, a billion there, pretty soon you're talking about real
    money.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 15, 2006
  7. Colin Barnhorst

    DP Guest

    >A billion here, a billion there, pretty soon you're talking about real
    >money.

    Well said, Everett.
    DP, Jul 15, 2006
  8. Colin Barnhorst

    Harry Austin Guest

    On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 18:10:56 -0600, Colin Barnhorst wrote:

    > Folks, whatever you think about Microsoft and its relationships with the
    > public newsgroups, it is light years more mature than Apple's relations with
    > its forum users.
    >
    > I have been bantering back and forth on a real and serious issue (MacBook
    > Pro heating problems) with a small group of users (on both sides of the
    > issue) in one of the forums on Apple.com. There was a lot of criticism of
    > Apple over the issue. A few minutes ago Apple locked the forum thread.
    >
    > Reason? Not an appropriate topic. Better addressed as feedback
    > (conveniently private).
    >
    > Before you start throwing around "Evil Empire" talk, think about this one.

    Personally, I think the Microsoft newsgroups are amazing.
    I have found the newsgroups and the support offered by the MVP's and
    regular contributors to be quite outstanding.
    For the many that participate directly and those that simply lurk the
    groups are an incredible resource.
    So much is learnt simply by monitoring the threads and participating where
    necessary.
    They have certainly helped me a lot.
    Well, I just thought I say that - had to get it off my chest!
    --
    Harry Austin
    Somewhere in Australia
    Harry Austin, Jul 15, 2006
  9. * DP:

    >> Exactly. And another thing to consider: the Gates Foundation spends lots
    >> of money for charity. Steve Jobs activity is limited to some words...

    > Maybe he'll be charitable if he ever starts making big money.

    Just because he only gets 1$ salary doesn't mean he doesn't get big money...

    Benjamin
    Benjamin Gawert, Jul 15, 2006
  10. Hear, hear!

    What's good, is good - although, I would much prefer not being ripped off to
    support tax-deductable charity schemes mentioned. Were I trusted with my own
    funds, I'd be perfectly competent to channel it out on my own,
    (tax-dedution, or not) thank you very much. Microsoft is a Janus faced
    entity - one friendly, open face and one protectionist, defensive one.

    There is only one thing in this world that scares me - protectionism!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jul 15, 2006
  11. Amazing. Can you imagine the howls in the press if MS tried to do that?

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 15, 2006
  12. Microsoft isn't the contributor. That is Bill and Melinda's _personal_
    fortune. It's sometimes hard to keep the two separate, but they are NOT the
    same thing. MIcrosoft the corporation makes decisions for its shareholders
    and its corporate health. Bill and Melinda Gates have made a decision about
    how they want to spend their fortune. It is not Microsoft's decision.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 15, 2006
  13. I am usually not overly impressed by estimates made in the press on the
    issue on Bill's personal welth. This time you cought me - the Gates
    Foundation clearly is a personal commitment. The charities, though, are
    directly sifoned off of the business activities of Microsoft - as that is
    the source of the welth, of which a small percentage is channeled for
    donation.

    It is not either the welth or the donations that is interesting in this
    regard, but merely that I think it is unsound management of a nation's
    economy to allow such practice, since it can only mean that the consumer
    pays more than the worth of the product while the nation is being deprived
    of it's income from part of the taxable exchange. This in turn means that
    the missing funds will be collected from those that do pay their tax - I
    assume, most of you guys out there, who where overcharged to begin with.

    ???

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jul 16, 2006
  14. a tonne of incorrect assumptions there about the way tax law works in the
    US. But however you look at it, this is not a trivial personal commitment.
    Nor are they "siphoned". But this isn't the place for such a discussion.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 16, 2006
  15. I am very glad that I have found the newgroups. The amount of help that can
    be found here is limitless.

    I am also very glad to find all the FREE training vidoes and software.
    Can't say that I can easily find this much info from the source with Linux.
    Being able to learn VBS without having to buy or spend hours finding info is
    great. Also, having my eyes opened to how far Active Directory has come is
    awsome.

    Thanks!!!!
    =?Utf-8?B?QWRyaW4=?=, Jul 16, 2006