Applying NTFS Folder Permissions

Discussion in 'MCSA' started by SagaBoi17, Jun 6, 2005.

  1. SagaBoi17

    SagaBoi17 Guest

    Does this make sense to you?

    "Giorgio belongs to the Human Resources global group & the 4th Floor Users
    global group. Giorgio is attempting to access a folder for which the HR group
    has been granted the Modify permission & the 4th Floor Users group has been
    granted the Write permission.

    Giorgio will receive the Read permission plus the Write permissin, and will
    be able to read the contents of the folder & add files to the folder. He will
    also be able to edit files already in the file. Giorgio will not be able to
    delete the files because he doesn't have Modify or Full Control permission,
    which is needed to be able to delete files. If Giorgio had been granted the
    Read permission & the Modify permission, then he would be able to read files,
    add files, edit files, and delete files".


    1.My understanding is that he should have Modify because he belongs to HR
    which is assigned Modify also it says he is able to edit files (hence
    Modify).

    2. As for deleting files/ folders within a folder, one needs Read, Read &
    Execute and Write permissions in order for Modify to delete files/ folders
    within a folder.
    If it is only Read & Execute & Write with modify, then he will not be able
    to delete files/ folders within the folder. (Not includings Full Control just
    talking about Modify's power).

    thanks!
    --
    Programmer/ Network Support Analyst Student
     
    SagaBoi17, Jun 6, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. SagaBoi17

    Madeleine Guest

    u need to do more reading about effective permissions.you sound like you are
    confused.



    "SagaBoi17" wrote:

    > Does this make sense to you?
    >
    > "Giorgio belongs to the Human Resources global group & the 4th Floor Users
    > global group. Giorgio is attempting to access a folder for which the HR group
    > has been granted the Modify permission & the 4th Floor Users group has been
    > granted the Write permission.
    >
    > Giorgio will receive the Read permission plus the Write permissin, and will
    > be able to read the contents of the folder & add files to the folder. He will
    > also be able to edit files already in the file. Giorgio will not be able to
    > delete the files because he doesn't have Modify or Full Control permission,
    > which is needed to be able to delete files. If Giorgio had been granted the
    > Read permission & the Modify permission, then he would be able to read files,
    > add files, edit files, and delete files".
    >
    >
    > 1.My understanding is that he should have Modify because he belongs to HR
    > which is assigned Modify also it says he is able to edit files (hence
    > Modify).
    >
    > 2. As for deleting files/ folders within a folder, one needs Read, Read &
    > Execute and Write permissions in order for Modify to delete files/ folders
    > within a folder.
    > If it is only Read & Execute & Write with modify, then he will not be able
    > to delete files/ folders within the folder. (Not includings Full Control just
    > talking about Modify's power).
    >
    > thanks!
    > --
    > Programmer/ Network Support Analyst Student
     
    Madeleine, Jun 7, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. SagaBoi17

    T-Bone Guest

    "Madeleine" <> wrote
    > u need to do more reading about effective permissions.you sound like you

    are
    > confused.


    No sher, shitlock. Why do you think they are asking the question?
    --
    T-Bone
    MCNGP XL
     
    T-Bone, Jun 7, 2005
    #3
  4. SagaBoi17

    Madeleine Guest

    try and answer questions next time instead of attacking people. this is an
    educational web site. i don't understand why people like you are turning this
    into a battle field when tolerance doesn't exist. no wonder many people don't
    post in this web site

    "T-Bone" wrote:

    > "Madeleine" <> wrote
    > > u need to do more reading about effective permissions.you sound like you

    > are
    > > confused.

    >
    > No sher, shitlock. Why do you think they are asking the question?
    > --
    > T-Bone
    > MCNGP XL
    >
    >
    >
     
    Madeleine, Jun 10, 2005
    #4
  5. SagaBoi17

    T-Bone Guest

    "Madeleine" <> wrote
    > try and answer questions next time instead of attacking people.

    "Kettle, this is Madeleine. You're black."

    > this is an educational web site.

    This is not a web site at all. This is a newsgroup. So consider that your
    education in usenet.

    > i don't understand why people like you are turning this
    > into a battle field when tolerance doesn't exist.

    On the contrary, tolerance does exist for those who make useful
    contributions to the group. The poster had a valid question.

    > no wonder many people don't post in this web site

    Its hard to find the useful posts through the clutter at the top level. Of
    course if you had a real newsreader you'd be able to see that more easily.
    --
    T-Bone
    MCNGP XL
     
    T-Bone, Jun 10, 2005
    #5
  6. SagaBoi17

    Madeleine Guest

    i hope you are enjoying this.
    You've said "The poster had a valid question" why don't u concentrate on
    that instead of irrelevancies.


    "T-Bone" wrote:

    > "Madeleine" <> wrote
    > > try and answer questions next time instead of attacking people.

    > "Kettle, this is Madeleine. You're black."
    >
    > > this is an educational web site.

    > This is not a web site at all. This is a newsgroup. So consider that your
    > education in usenet.
    >
    > > i don't understand why people like you are turning this
    > > into a battle field when tolerance doesn't exist.

    > On the contrary, tolerance does exist for those who make useful
    > contributions to the group. The poster had a valid question.
    >
    > > no wonder many people don't post in this web site

    > Its hard to find the useful posts through the clutter at the top level. Of
    > course if you had a real newsreader you'd be able to see that more easily.
    > --
    > T-Bone
    > MCNGP XL
    >
    >
    >
     
    Madeleine, Jun 10, 2005
    #6
  7. SagaBoi17

    T-Bone Guest

    "Madeleine" <> wrote
    > i hope you are enjoying this.


    I am enjoying it immensly.

    > You've said "The poster had a valid question" why don't u concentrate on
    > that instead of irrelevancies.


    Just to recap, you were the one who flamed the OP. Looking at your replies
    to other postings, when you actually manage to get your facts straight, you
    flamed a poster one moment and then tried to be useful the next. Hardly what
    I would call relevant. I'd say you should stay on whatever meds it is that
    makes you all happy and nice, lest you end up with troll status. Using
    proper spelling and not typing like a teenager (with apologies to teenagers
    who do make the effort to spell words properly) would help there as well.
    --
    T-Bone
    MCNGP XL
     
    T-Bone, Jun 10, 2005
    #7
  8. SagaBoi17

    Madeleine Guest

    you are a joker.
    i don't see any problem advising someone to do more reading about effective
    permission when it's clear that they are confused about the all concept.

    "T-Bone" wrote:

    > "Madeleine" <> wrote
    > > i hope you are enjoying this.

    >
    > I am enjoying it immensly.
    >
    > > You've said "The poster had a valid question" why don't u concentrate on
    > > that instead of irrelevancies.

    >
    > Just to recap, you were the one who flamed the OP. Looking at your replies
    > to other postings, when you actually manage to get your facts straight, you
    > flamed a poster one moment and then tried to be useful the next. Hardly what
    > I would call relevant. I'd say you should stay on whatever meds it is that
    > makes you all happy and nice, lest you end up with troll status. Using
    > proper spelling and not typing like a teenager (with apologies to teenagers
    > who do make the effort to spell words properly) would help there as well.
    > --
    > T-Bone
    > MCNGP XL
    >
    >
    >
     
    Madeleine, Jun 10, 2005
    #8
  9. SagaBoi17

    JaR Guest

    In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsa, =?Utf-8?B?TWFkZWxlaW5l?= spewed across
    the ether:

    > . no wonder many people don't
    > post in this web site


    Ghods what a moron.

    --
    JaR
    Thug 10110
    MCNGP.com Dept of Usenet
     
    JaR, Jun 10, 2005
    #9
  10. SagaBoi17

    T-Bone Guest

    "Madeleine" <> wrote
    > you are a joker.


    I'm also a smoker and a midnight toker, but that's not important right now.

    > i don't see any problem advising someone to do more reading about

    effective
    > permission when it's clear that they are confused about the all concept.


    I'm getting a feeling that given your original reply, pointing out the irony
    of you complaining about useless posts would be lost on you.
    --
    T-Bone
    MCNGP XL
    Just don't call me Maurice
     
    T-Bone, Jun 10, 2005
    #10
  11. SagaBoi17

    T-Bone Guest

    "Frisbee®" <> wrote
    in message news:...
    > "T-Bone" <reply2me@thenewsgroup> wrote in message
    > news:O%23Fc$...
    > > "Madeleine" <> wrote
    > >> you are a joker.

    > >
    > > I'm also a smoker and a midnight toker, but that's not important right
    > > now.

    >
    > DYHTBQITHCR
    >
    > PotD


    Thanks, but don't call it a CR otherwise Maddy will get further confused.

    Oh, and $.50 to Steve Miller, because it wasn't a full verse.
    --
    T-Bone
    MCNGP XL
     
    T-Bone, Jun 13, 2005
    #11
  12. SagaBoi17

    SagaBoi17 Guest

    Ok, ok I must say, I don't enjoy arguing over newsgroups, but I must say I'm
    with Tbone on this 1, the purpose of me being here is to get some feed back
    on a question. I am confused with the question, not with effective
    permissions.

    All I need was for someone to read the paragraph I copied out of a book and
    tell me if it makes sense to them, because it didn't to me, from my
    understanding of effective permissions. Sorry Made, T-bone was right about
    the no help, I am reading as much as I can, just want help on that section.

    Thanks, sorry for starting the fight anyhow.
    --
    Programmer/ Network Support Analyst Student


    "SagaBoi17" wrote:

    > Does this make sense to you?
    >
    > "Giorgio belongs to the Human Resources global group & the 4th Floor Users
    > global group. Giorgio is attempting to access a folder for which the HR group
    > has been granted the Modify permission & the 4th Floor Users group has been
    > granted the Write permission.
    >
    > Giorgio will receive the Read permission plus the Write permissin, and will
    > be able to read the contents of the folder & add files to the folder. He will
    > also be able to edit files already in the file. Giorgio will not be able to
    > delete the files because he doesn't have Modify or Full Control permission,
    > which is needed to be able to delete files. If Giorgio had been granted the
    > Read permission & the Modify permission, then he would be able to read files,
    > add files, edit files, and delete files".
    >
    >
    > 1.My understanding is that he should have Modify because he belongs to HR
    > which is assigned Modify also it says he is able to edit files (hence
    > Modify).
    >
    > 2. As for deleting files/ folders within a folder, one needs Read, Read &
    > Execute and Write permissions in order for Modify to delete files/ folders
    > within a folder.
    > If it is only Read & Execute & Write with modify, then he will not be able
    > to delete files/ folders within the folder. (Not includings Full Control just
    > talking about Modify's power).
    >
    > thanks!
    > --
    > Programmer/ Network Support Analyst Student
     
    SagaBoi17, Jun 13, 2005
    #12
  13. SagaBoi17

    JaR Guest

    In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsa, Frisbee® spewed across the ether:

    > She/it doesn't limit her/its talents to this "web site."
    >
    > I'll bet it's a she, and I'll bet she's blonde.


    Based on it's name, I'd say the first is likely true, and based on it's
    posts, the probability of the second being true approaches five nines.

    --
    JaR
    Thug 10110
    MCNGP.com Dept of Statistical Probabilities
     
    JaR, Jun 14, 2005
    #13
  14. SagaBoi17

    Madeleine Guest

    thank God you've finally came clean. what book did u dig this scenario from
    anyway?

    "SagaBoi17" wrote:

    > Ok, ok I must say, I don't enjoy arguing over newsgroups, but I must say I'm
    > with Tbone on this 1, the purpose of me being here is to get some feed back
    > on a question. I am confused with the question, not with effective
    > permissions.
    >
    > All I need was for someone to read the paragraph I copied out of a book and
    > tell me if it makes sense to them, because it didn't to me, from my
    > understanding of effective permissions. Sorry Made, T-bone was right about
    > the no help, I am reading as much as I can, just want help on that section.
    >
    > Thanks, sorry for starting the fight anyhow.
    > --
    > Programmer/ Network Support Analyst Student
    >
    >
    > "SagaBoi17" wrote:
    >
    > > Does this make sense to you?
    > >
    > > "Giorgio belongs to the Human Resources global group & the 4th Floor Users
    > > global group. Giorgio is attempting to access a folder for which the HR group
    > > has been granted the Modify permission & the 4th Floor Users group has been
    > > granted the Write permission.
    > >
    > > Giorgio will receive the Read permission plus the Write permissin, and will
    > > be able to read the contents of the folder & add files to the folder. He will
    > > also be able to edit files already in the file. Giorgio will not be able to
    > > delete the files because he doesn't have Modify or Full Control permission,
    > > which is needed to be able to delete files. If Giorgio had been granted the
    > > Read permission & the Modify permission, then he would be able to read files,
    > > add files, edit files, and delete files".
    > >
    > >
    > > 1.My understanding is that he should have Modify because he belongs to HR
    > > which is assigned Modify also it says he is able to edit files (hence
    > > Modify).
    > >
    > > 2. As for deleting files/ folders within a folder, one needs Read, Read &
    > > Execute and Write permissions in order for Modify to delete files/ folders
    > > within a folder.
    > > If it is only Read & Execute & Write with modify, then he will not be able
    > > to delete files/ folders within the folder. (Not includings Full Control just
    > > talking about Modify's power).
    > >
    > > thanks!
    > > --
    > > Programmer/ Network Support Analyst Student
     
    Madeleine, Jun 19, 2005
    #14
  15. It looks like they started writing it, changed their mind about the
    scenario, and forgot to fix the first paragraph. The first sentence of the
    2nd paragraph indicates that "Modify" in the first paragraph should have
    been changed to "Read". I.e., "Giorgio is attempting to access a folder for
    which the HR group has been granted the Read permission and the 4th Floor
    Users group has been granted the Writer permission."

    Their last sentence doesn't make sense either - "If Giorgio had been granted
    the Read permission and the Modify permisson..." -- Modify consists of Read,
    Read & Execute, and Write.

    What would have made a more interesting scenario is if HR was granted Modify
    and 4th Floor Users was denied Write... :)



    "SagaBoi17" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Does this make sense to you?
    >
    > "Giorgio belongs to the Human Resources global group & the 4th Floor Users
    > global group. Giorgio is attempting to access a folder for which the HR
    > group
    > has been granted the Modify permission & the 4th Floor Users group has
    > been
    > granted the Write permission.
    >
    > Giorgio will receive the Read permission plus the Write permissin, and
    > will
    > be able to read the contents of the folder & add files to the folder. He
    > will
    > also be able to edit files already in the file. Giorgio will not be able
    > to
    > delete the files because he doesn't have Modify or Full Control
    > permission,
    > which is needed to be able to delete files. If Giorgio had been granted
    > the
    > Read permission & the Modify permission, then he would be able to read
    > files,
    > add files, edit files, and delete files".
    >
    >
    > 1.My understanding is that he should have Modify because he belongs to HR
    > which is assigned Modify also it says he is able to edit files (hence
    > Modify).
    >
    > 2. As for deleting files/ folders within a folder, one needs Read, Read &
    > Execute and Write permissions in order for Modify to delete files/ folders
    > within a folder.
    > If it is only Read & Execute & Write with modify, then he will not be able
    > to delete files/ folders within the folder. (Not includings Full Control
    > just
    > talking about Modify's power).
    >
    > thanks!
    > --
    > Programmer/ Network Support Analyst Student
     
    Jeanie Decker \(MS\), Jul 28, 2005
    #15
  16. SagaBoi17

    RGrayberg Guest

    Wouldn't his effective permission to the file be "Write" because the
    total effective is the total permissions from all groups, etc, and the
    most restrictive is in place.

    Jeanie Decker (MS) wrote:
    > It looks like they started writing it, changed their mind about the
    > scenario, and forgot to fix the first paragraph. The first sentence of the
    > 2nd paragraph indicates that "Modify" in the first paragraph should have
    > been changed to "Read". I.e., "Giorgio is attempting to access a folder for
    > which the HR group has been granted the Read permission and the 4th Floor
    > Users group has been granted the Writer permission."
    >
    > Their last sentence doesn't make sense either - "If Giorgio had been granted
    > the Read permission and the Modify permisson..." -- Modify consists of Read,
    > Read & Execute, and Write.
    >
    > What would have made a more interesting scenario is if HR was granted Modify
    > and 4th Floor Users was denied Write... :)
    >
    >
    >
    > "SagaBoi17" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >
    >>Does this make sense to you?
    >>
    >>"Giorgio belongs to the Human Resources global group & the 4th Floor Users
    >>global group. Giorgio is attempting to access a folder for which the HR
    >>group
    >>has been granted the Modify permission & the 4th Floor Users group has
    >>been
    >>granted the Write permission.
    >>
    >>Giorgio will receive the Read permission plus the Write permissin, and
    >>will
    >>be able to read the contents of the folder & add files to the folder. He
    >>will
    >>also be able to edit files already in the file. Giorgio will not be able
    >>to
    >>delete the files because he doesn't have Modify or Full Control
    >>permission,
    >>which is needed to be able to delete files. If Giorgio had been granted
    >>the
    >>Read permission & the Modify permission, then he would be able to read
    >>files,
    >>add files, edit files, and delete files".
    >>
    >>
    >>1.My understanding is that he should have Modify because he belongs to HR
    >>which is assigned Modify also it says he is able to edit files (hence
    >>Modify).
    >>
    >>2. As for deleting files/ folders within a folder, one needs Read, Read &
    >>Execute and Write permissions in order for Modify to delete files/ folders
    >>within a folder.
    >>If it is only Read & Execute & Write with modify, then he will not be able
    >>to delete files/ folders within the folder. (Not includings Full Control
    >>just
    >>talking about Modify's power).
    >>
    >>thanks!
    >>--
    >>Programmer/ Network Support Analyst Student

    >
    >
    >
     
    RGrayberg, Aug 18, 2005
    #16
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Replies:
    15
    Views:
    4,836
    T-Bone
    Feb 4, 2005
  2. kenny
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    29,850
    IT_Guru
    Apr 3, 2009
  3. Slarty Bartfast

    NTFS Permissions

    Slarty Bartfast, Aug 4, 2006, in forum: MCSE
    Replies:
    18
    Views:
    918
    Slarty Bartfast
    Aug 15, 2006
  4. JustMe
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    834
    JustMe
    Jul 19, 2006
  5. Tester

    Unix-style permissions on NTFS?

    Tester, Dec 2, 2006, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    1,212
    Tester
    Dec 2, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page