Applying an image to a new raid array.

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Michael-NC, Jul 16, 2004.

  1. Michael-NC

    Michael-NC Guest

    I have an Asus A7N8X 2.0 mainboard with a currently unused Sil 3112A SATA
    controller that supports raid 0 and raid 1. I currently use 1- 80GB and 1-
    120GB hard discs on the IDE ports.

    My plan is to install 2- 74 GB Raptors on the SATA controllers in a raid 0
    array then remove the 80GB hard disc and keep the 120GB on an IDE channel.
    The Raptors should arrive from Newegg Monday.

    I would like to first image the current C drive to a external hard disc,
    remove the C drive, install the raid array and then image the array from the
    external hard disc.

    I would imagine I need to first boot with the XP CD and install the raid
    drivers via floppy before attempting the image transfer. Alternatively I
    have Norton ghost and could use that to clone C to the raid array. I also
    have Drive Image 2002, which I've heard is one of the few apps that works
    reliably with a SATA controller.

    This is my first attempt at imaging a SATA drive, raid or not so any
    comments, suggestions, flames or prayers are welcome. If all else fails,
    I'll just do a clean install on the array. I'm hoping to do the image or
    clone because I know I'll be doing a clean install around the first of the
    year when I upgrade to an AMD 64 mainboard and CPU.

    TIA
    Michael-NC, Jul 16, 2004

  2. Michael-NC

    Michael-NC Guest

    I used Acronis True Image 7.0 to clone the raid array from my C drive and it
    went off very easily. Very nice performance from these drives.

    Michael-NC, Jul 21, 2004