    Domains (we're on an NT4 server)

    Any help would be most appreciated!

    Thanks
    JH, Aug 15, 2004

  2. JH

    Brian Guest

    "JH" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:...
    > We're currently replacing / upgrading our Win98 machines with XP and 2000.
    >
    > As part of the upgrade we intend to set our students up with mandatory
    > profiles. Is it possible to apply the mandatory profile to an entire user
    > group or will we have to update each logon individually via User Manager

    for
    > Domains (we're on an NT4 server)
    >
    > Any help would be most appreciated!
    >
    > Thanks

    use server based profiles.. create the group on the server>>apply
    restrictions (using the snap-in)>>throw all user accounts that apply into
    that group (i.e add all students accounts to that group policy and remove
    existing policies if they had individual ones).. thats what domains and
    servers are for..
    Brian, Aug 15, 2004

  3. JH

    JH Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message

    > "JH" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > > We're currently replacing / upgrading our Win98 machines with XP and

    2000.

    > > As part of the upgrade we intend to set our students up with mandatory
    > > profiles. Is it possible to apply the mandatory profile to an entire

    user
    > > group or will we have to update each logon individually via User Manager

    > for
    > > Domains (we're on an NT4 server)
    > >
    > > Any help would be most appreciated!
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >

    > use server based profiles.. create the group on the server>>apply
    > restrictions (using the snap-in)>>throw all user accounts that apply into
    > that group (i.e add all students accounts to that group policy and remove
    > existing policies if they had individual ones).. thats what domains and
    > servers are for..

    Brian, thanks for the reply

    Isn't a mandatory profile a server based one? Also, when you say 'snap-in'
    are you referring to a MMC snap in? If so, isn't that Win2000 / 2003 server
    and not NT4 - which is my server OS?

    The students already are part of a user group and I just wanted to see if
    there was a way to apply the mandatory profile to the whole group (I'd guess
    by using a group policy) instead of updating each profile.

    Anyway thanks for you reply.
    JH, Aug 15, 2004
  4. JH

    Brian Guest

    "JH" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > "Brian" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "JH" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > > > We're currently replacing / upgrading our Win98 machines with XP and

    > 2000.
    > > >
    > > > As part of the upgrade we intend to set our students up with mandatory
    > > > profiles. Is it possible to apply the mandatory profile to an entire

    > user
    > > > group or will we have to update each logon individually via User

    Manager
    > > for
    > > > Domains (we're on an NT4 server)
    > > >
    > > > Any help would be most appreciated!
    > > >
    > > > Thanks
    > > >

    > > use server based profiles.. create the group on the server>>apply
    > > restrictions (using the snap-in)>>throw all user accounts that apply

    into
    > > that group (i.e add all students accounts to that group policy and

    remove
    > > existing policies if they had individual ones).. thats what domains and
    > > servers are for..
    > >

    > Brian, thanks for the reply
    >
    > Isn't a mandatory profile a server based one? Also, when you say 'snap-in'
    > are you referring to a MMC snap in? If so, isn't that Win2000 / 2003

    server
    > and not NT4 - which is my server OS?
    >
    > The students already are part of a user group and I just wanted to see if
    > there was a way to apply the mandatory profile to the whole group (I'd

    guess
    > by using a group policy) instead of updating each profile.
    >
    > Anyway thanks for you reply.

    yes the "golden" word was group policy...
    Brian, Aug 15, 2004
  5. JH

    Dean C Guest

    Try Microsoft:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;168476&Product=nts40

    Yes, you can assign a mandatory profile to multiple users through
    server manager. Microsoft give instructions in the above.

    Suggest you get access to Mark Minasi's bible Windows NT Server 4.
    Edition 5 pages 419-423 cover the issue well. Step by step
    instructions are given

    Same applies to Alan R. Carter's Windows NT4 MCSE study guide - pages
    347-349.

    Dean C, Aug 16, 2004