    client computer or stored on the server as an image and installed by the
    client computer from the server.?

    Would appreciate any help in give me on this matter
    =?Utf-8?B?bWFyayBw?=, Jun 13, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?bWFyayBw?= <> wrote in
    news::

    > Hi everyone
    >
    > I hope somebody can help me with these questions they may sound a bit
    > dump some of you
    >
    > What files Should be kept on the server.I understands that I can put
    > shared folders and files on the server so clients can access them
    > across the network I think I understand about the domain controller
    > needing to be on its owner server or does it does it need to be a
    > volume on the server. but how about applications such as Microsoft
    > Office should these be put on each client computer or stored on the
    > server as an image and installed by the client computer from the
    > server.?
    >
    > Would appreciate any help in give me on this matter

    The definitive answer for you is:

    Are you ready?

    It depends.

    You can install apps from images, msi (+ mst & msp) files through Group
    Policies, locally using CD's and more. It depends on many factors like
    size of the network, operating systems used, what apps you plan to
    install, how much time you have on your hands, and so many others that I
    won't go into due to my lack of typing skills and time to spend on this
    NG.

    No one will be able to give you the correct answer to this question. If
    you have more specific questions you may get better answers than mine.

    Actually, there is an answer to your question that relates to this
    forum. You should probably hire someone that has their MCSA or MCSE
    certifications as a consultant.
    Red Swingline Stapler, Jun 13, 2007

  3. =?Utf-8?B?bWFyayBw?=

    Kurt Guest

    mark p wrote:
    > Hi everyone
    >
    > I hope somebody can help me with these questions they may sound a bit dump
    > some of you
    >
    > What files Should be kept on the server.I understands that I can put
    > shared folders and files on the server so clients can access them across the
    > network I think I understand about the domain controller needing to be on its
    > owner server or does it does it need to be a volume on the server. but how
    > about applications such as Microsoft Office should these be put on each
    > client computer or stored on the server as an image and installed by the
    > client computer from the server.?
    >
    > Would appreciate any help in give me on this matter

    Applications that run on workstations need to be installed on
    workstations. That doesn't mean you can't put the installation files
    (copy the CD) onto the server so everyone can access it. You can even
    "push" .msi installations to client computers from a server using group
    policy. There's no rule that says you can't use a domain controller as a
    file server, print server, database host, mail server or whatever you
    want. Best practices dictates that a DC should be left to perform DC
    roles and not risk corruption of your AD database by misbehaved
    applications or users.

    ....kurt
    Kurt, Jun 14, 2007
  4. While Kurt is correct here that there is no hard and fast rule that says you
    cannot use a Domain Controller as another type of server, the simple fact of
    the matter is that it is not best practice from a security perspective.
    Remember that part of the function of a domain controller is to serve as the
    authentication source for resource requests on your network. When you add
    another set of software (lets say you add some kind of applicaiton or print
    server) you have added both another type of traffic that can potentially
    cause damage or be exploited and you have also added software that can
    introduce flaws into the system.

    In security, this is called increasing the 'attack surface'. You have
    created a greater cross section of software that performs different functions
    for someone to compromise.

    Having said that, it sounds like you are working with a relatively small
    network in which you are trying to resolve questions about implementing the
    first couple servers.

    In such a case, might I suggest using the Small Business Server edition of
    Windows Server 2003? This server includes simplified interfaces for setup,
    helps you establish your domain, helps you do some basic administrative
    tasks, setup a file server, etc.

    On the server, you can host the FILES which provide the installation but I
    would not recommend installing Office on the server in such a small
    environment and then having people logon to use it. This is usually valid
    only in a "thin client" scenario where you do not want things running on the
    local PC. That does not sound like the environment you have based on the
    technical level of your question.
    --
    Wayne Anderson

    =?Utf-8?B?V2F5bmUgQW5kZXJzb24=?=, Jun 14, 2007
  5. =?Utf-8?B?bWFyayBw?=

    Kurt Guest

    Wayne Anderson wrote:
    > While Kurt is correct here that there is no hard and fast rule that says you
    > cannot use a Domain Controller as another type of server, the simple fact of
    > the matter is that it is not best practice from a security perspective.
    > Remember that part of the function of a domain controller is to serve as the
    > authentication source for resource requests on your network. When you add
    > another set of software (lets say you add some kind of applicaiton or print
    > server) you have added both another type of traffic that can potentially
    > cause damage or be exploited and you have also added software that can
    > introduce flaws into the system.
    >
    > In security, this is called increasing the 'attack surface'. You have
    > created a greater cross section of software that performs different functions
    > for someone to compromise.
    >
    > Having said that, it sounds like you are working with a relatively small
    > network in which you are trying to resolve questions about implementing the
    > first couple servers.
    >
    > In such a case, might I suggest using the Small Business Server edition of
    > Windows Server 2003? This server includes simplified interfaces for setup,
    > helps you establish your domain, helps you do some basic administrative
    > tasks, setup a file server, etc.
    >
    > On the server, you can host the FILES which provide the installation but I
    > would not recommend installing Office on the server in such a small
    > environment and then having people logon to use it. This is usually valid
    > only in a "thin client" scenario where you do not want things running on the
    > local PC. That does not sound like the environment you have based on the
    > technical level of your question.

    Just remember that Small Business Server also limits you in many ways.
    That's not to suggest that it wouldn't fit the bill in your particular
    case, just make sure you're not giving up something that you'll need
    later (Trusts, Additional domain controllers, terminal services).

    Kurt
    Kurt, Jun 16, 2007