Applications fail to load after chkdsk auto repair

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCAoZnJvbSBIb2xsYW5kKQ==?=, Oct 23, 2007.

  1. My system with raid5 disks(3disks) 'crashed' yesterday while I was using
    Internet Explorer 6, visiting some dynamic/ajax enabled webpage, and clicking
    on an ajax enabled button. Trust me when I say it was this one that locked up
    my pc this way. Not that worse that I lost all my precious data... some tough
    luck huh :D
    I had to manually turn my pc off and turned it on again. After BIOS, the
    raid controller/bios came with its errors. I skipped the error message and
    started to boot xp. Chkdsk ran and recovered some free disk space (here the
    mess really begins, as I would find out afterwards).

    The problem now is, when I startup my pc, I get stuck with many applications
    that try to startup, but all fail and error. All seem to be related to COM
    errors(? as far as I understand the next errors).
    - skype gives something with ole errors
    - winrar never opens up nor giving an error message visually
    (but it does in eventvwr - application - eventid 1000, and with file
    kernel32.dll)
    - winvnc gives a dozen or even a few dozens of errormessages every 2-3 secs
    after login with rpcrt4.dll, and another app as well...

    These are the noticeable errors. In eventviewer I found some more errors,
    most userevnt 1000 errors. Some application errors that popup also show "The
    exception unknown software exception (0xc0000005) occured in the application
    at location 0x2d828acd ... ", as Adobe acrobat did. And if I start MS Word
    '03, it says something like "...documents cannot be linked this time..." and
    locks up.

    I believe chkdsk shouldn't free up that used disk space. This because I
    think it was partially pointing to data on the erroring raid5 disk. My
    suggestion to MS is, -if winxp can see that a RAID is giving errors- that
    chkdsk should not run after a one-raid5-disk-failure or a RAID degredation.
    Or else showing by default a message at auto chkdsk, with: "cancel chkdsk if
    you having RAID errors".

    Another possibility of the error(my actual problem) is it was created by the
    pc lockup where it all started. But there was no disk activity during manual
    shutdown, so...

    And another possibility is that one special website can lock my browser / pc
    up, -possibly- since the latest software changes:
    Some software changes which -might- have messed with my internet explorer:
    The latest software change I initialized was installing a .net mobile
    application devtoolkit, a .net sdk(v2.0 64bit), ASP.NET Futures July
    2007(v1.2.61025), and a fix for asp.net framework v2.0.50727 (I can't find
    the fix version/name). This all around the 18th of October. I had the system
    lockup one time before, but managed to kill internet explorer and I could go
    on using my system. That was a few days before this happened, and... at the
    same website(tweakers.net, dutch site) with it's ajax enabled stuff.

    Last possibility is: the raid striping over the three disks was making a mess.
    Some error info about the raid array:
    One disk ended up with 'error' in nvidia mediashield (got an nforce4 chipset
    with raidcontroller), but healthy and the other 2 disks were 'degraded', but
    also healthy. This was right after the first reboot and chkdsk. Almost the
    same message was provided after BIOS by the raid controller (= before winxp
    boot). After rebuilding the RAID, nothing really changed, except the
    degradation was gradated again.

    Sorry for this huge explanation of my problem, but I wanted to give all the
    details so it could be used to possibly prevent this kind of problems in the
    future with RAID's, chkdsk by-design-flaws, Internet Explorer/.Net/Ajax or
    whatever contributed to my problem.

    But if someone could tell me how to recover (for free, don't going to pay
    for anybody's bugs) the chkdsk erasing action and/or how to normally use all
    my apps again without any windows or app reinstall, I would be very pleased.

    Kind regards,

    Michael Ponsteen
    Netherlands

    =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCAoZnJvbSBIb2xsYW5kKQ==?=, Oct 23, 2007

  2. I am running a RAID0 system and luckily, I have never had any errors - but
    if I have, I have mentally prepared myself to ensure I will not let the
    machine complete booting into running CHKDSK. You have a RAID BIOS Setup
    utility ( F10 after POST on my system ) I'm quite sure this is the best
    chance of making sure the RAID is healthy or possibly correct any problems
    before booting.

    I was under the impression that running CHKDSK without options isn't writing
    anything to disk - so I don't know what happened in your case, recovering
    free space in itself also doesn't sound all that dangerous to me - It's a
    sad thing, but I think the error you made was not to boot into your RAID
    BIOS right away.

    +, of course, not maintaining a backup!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Oct 23, 2007

  3. Thanks for your reply. But you don't believe this... Now, just 3 boots after
    the raid rebuild it works all normal again! How? Maybe another chkdsk :D
    which I ran after the rebuild. Can't explain clearly why or how? It's like
    nothing happened...

    But I was looking around in the component services in MMC before my first
    shout here yesterday, and suddenly it asked me to register something again.
    Think it was the DCOM config map, also because many apps that gave errors are
    also named in this map. After that, programs still didn't work, but that
    might be logically because normally you need to reboot for such changes.
    Also I renamed rpcrt4.dll in the windows\syswow64 map, and after that,
    windows recovered the file, from setup/.cab files I guess. Still after this,
    programs didn't work. I also messed around in the registry, but I returned it
    all back to normal again after it didn't seem to work immediately, so that
    shouldn't have solved my problem here.

    But now after the first time rebooting after these last changes I made, it
    works :D
    Although I still advice MS to warn users while letting auto chkdsk do it's
    work after a RAID degradation. As far as I know chkdsk does not know a thing
    about there is any RAID array. Not sure now anymore if that actually
    destroyed my pc after the degradation, since I ran it (on win boot) as well
    after RAID rebuild and never solved anything of my problem. While writing
    this, I think replacing the rpcrt4.dll and/or the com services DCOM config
    re-registering solved my problem.

    So, if anyone will find out the exact same problem with the same conditions,
    try re-register DCOM config just by clicking on that map in MMC - com
    services. And rename the rpcrt4.dll in the windows/syswow64 map, so windows
    automatically replaces it with a fresh file.

    Michael

    =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCAoZnJvbSBIb2xsYW5kKQ==?=, Oct 23, 2007
  4. This qualifies as the 'Sunshine Story of the Day', I'm sure! When I went to
    bed last night after posting my reply, I wasn't feeling very good about it
    all.

    Never-the-less, this also pay's tribute to the robustness of RAID in
    general, and perhaps emphasizes your luck, in particular.

    I don't disagree, you can never be too specific about information, but
    before even considering building a RAID on your system, you cannot have been
    uninformed about the dangers involved - and you must have been asking
    yourself questions about how you would respond to a potential 'issue'. We
    are after all talking about disasters in the making here. This cannot have
    come to you as a bolt of lightning out of the blue sky just yesterday. This
    is well known matterial.

    But I do agree, the dangers of CHKDSK'ing were well described in the days of
    DOS - is much of this forgotten today? - is reiterating and underlining the
    use of CHKDSK required today? The command help (CHKDSK /?) certainly isn't
    very enlightening, at the face of it!

    Hmmm - you may have a point there. I'd like to see a bit of argumentation
    here in this forum, although not specifically 64bit related - but, Michael
    please - don't try and rub off your own mistakes on anyone else, you've done
    a great job of it - but passing the buck will not impress very many here.

    Anecdote:

    I was watching the RTL transmission from the Brazilian F1 GP, Sunday.
    There is only one reason I do this - they have Nicki Lauda as an Expert
    Commentator!!!

    The idiot journalist who runs the show (the anchor person?) tried to relate
    an incident from the trials where someone had run off the track as a Team
    Error. Nicki (in his usual clear sighted wisdom) said: "That's not a team
    error! THE DRIVER IS THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN RUN THE CAR OFF TRACK!

    (With reservations for the correctness of the translation from
    Teutonic/Austrian)

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Oct 23, 2007