    Any ideas?

    Thank you
    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Dec 19, 2006

  2. Geopelia wrote:
    > I get a message that an application is trying to access the internet, but it
    > doesn't say what the application is. Is it my computer trying, or somebody
    > trying to access me? More info is no help, it just shows an IP address.

    which ip address ?

    Mark Robinson, Dec 19, 2006

  3. Geopelia

    Roger_Nickel Guest

    On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 14:04:05 +1300, Geopelia wrote:

    > I get a message that an application is trying to access the internet,
    > but it doesn't say what the application is. Is it my computer trying, or
    > somebody trying to access me? More info is no help, it just shows an IP
    > address.
    >
    > Sometimes somebody is trying to get my credit card, they show that, but
    > otherwise it's a mystery.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thank you
    > Geopelia

    You are running Windows?: Copy the IP address into the clipboard and
    then:- start..run.. enter "command" (or "cmd" in win2k), without the
    quotes into the field and you should have a command prompt window. Type in
    "nslookup" at the prompt, then a space followed by the IP address pasted
    in from the clipboard. Press enter and the command should return with
    information on the IP address. The address will probably belong to an
    innocent victim whose computer has been hijacked to do the scan; but maybe
    not....
    Roger_Nickel, Dec 19, 2006
  4. Geopelia

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >I get a message that an application is trying to access the internet, but
    >it doesn't say what the application is. Is it my computer trying, or
    >somebody trying to access me? More info is no help, it just shows an IP
    >address.
    >
    > Sometimes somebody is trying to get my credit card, they show that, but
    > otherwise it's a mystery.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thank you
    > Geopelia

    Virus.
    Could be linked to an ad on some website. Just what application is running
    amongst the usual 30 plus ones? Might be something in the startup menu that
    shouldn't be there.
    It might well be trying to download more damaging software. Go a google on
    the ip address if that's the only info you have.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Dec 19, 2006
  5. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Roger_Nickel" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 14:04:05 +1300, Geopelia wrote:
    >
    >> I get a message that an application is trying to access the internet,
    >> but it doesn't say what the application is. Is it my computer trying, or
    >> somebody trying to access me? More info is no help, it just shows an IP
    >> address.
    >>
    >> Sometimes somebody is trying to get my credit card, they show that, but
    >> otherwise it's a mystery.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >>
    >> Thank you
    >> Geopelia

    > You are running Windows?: Copy the IP address into the clipboard and
    > then:- start..run.. enter "command" (or "cmd" in win2k), without the
    > quotes into the field and you should have a command prompt window. Type in
    > "nslookup" at the prompt, then a space followed by the IP address pasted
    > in from the clipboard. Press enter and the command should return with
    > information on the IP address. The address will probably belong to an
    > innocent victim whose computer has been hijacked to do the scan; but maybe
    > not....

    Thank you.

    That looks a bit complicated, but I'll see if I can do it when it comes up
    again.

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Dec 19, 2006
  6. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    > "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>I get a message that an application is trying to access the internet, but
    >>it doesn't say what the application is. Is it my computer trying, or
    >>somebody trying to access me? More info is no help, it just shows an IP
    >>address.
    >>
    >> Sometimes somebody is trying to get my credit card, they show that, but
    >> otherwise it's a mystery.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >>
    >> Thank you
    >> Geopelia

    > Virus.
    > Could be linked to an ad on some website. Just what application is
    > running amongst the usual 30 plus ones? Might be something in the startup
    > menu that shouldn't be there.
    > It might well be trying to download more damaging software. Go a google
    > on the ip address if that's the only info you have.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    Thank you. Maybe the safest thing woul be to ignore it.
    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Dec 19, 2006
  7. Geopelia

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Geopelia" <> wrote in message

    > "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>>I get a message that an application is trying to access the internet, but
    >>>it doesn't say what the application is. Is it my computer trying, or
    >>>somebody trying to access me? More info is no help, it just shows an IP
    >>>address.
    >>>
    >>> Sometimes somebody is trying to get my credit card, they show that, but
    >>> otherwise it's a mystery.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas?
    >>>
    >>> Thank you
    >>> Geopelia

    >> Virus.
    >> Could be linked to an ad on some website. Just what application is
    >> running amongst the usual 30 plus ones? Might be something in the
    >> startup menu that shouldn't be there.
    >> It might well be trying to download more damaging software. Go a google
    >> on the ip address if that's the only info you have.
    >>
    >> E. Scrooge

    > Thank you. Maybe the safest thing woul be to ignore it.
    > Geopelia

    Spybot might find something on the computer that shouldn't be there. Hijack
    This is another good program but could be confusing to use.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Dec 19, 2006
  8. Geopelia

    Matty F Guest

    Geopelia wrote:
    > I get a message that an application is trying to access the internet, but it
    > doesn't say what the application is. Is it my computer trying, or somebody
    > trying to access me? More info is no help, it just shows an IP address.

    Go here and put the IP address into WHOIS Lookup (on the left):

    http://www.dnsstuff.com/

    That may give a clue what the application is.
    Matty F, Dec 19, 2006
  9. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <em9fml$dqb$>, says...

    > "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    > >>I get a message that an application is trying to access the internet, but
    > >>it doesn't say what the application is. Is it my computer trying, or
    > >>somebody trying to access me? More info is no help, it just shows an IP
    > >>address.
    > >>
    > >> Sometimes somebody is trying to get my credit card, they show that, but
    > >> otherwise it's a mystery.
    > >>
    > >> Any ideas?
    > >>
    > >> Thank you
    > >> Geopelia

    > > Virus.
    > > Could be linked to an ad on some website. Just what application is
    > > running amongst the usual 30 plus ones? Might be something in the startup
    > > menu that shouldn't be there.
    > > It might well be trying to download more damaging software. Go a google
    > > on the ip address if that's the only info you have.
    > >
    > > E. Scrooge

    > Thank you. Maybe the safest thing woul be to ignore it.
    > Geopelia

    Have you done a "Full Service" thingie at:
    http://safety.live.com
    ?

    --
    Duncan