    bodger Guest

    Has anyone got an opinion of using an application service provider? Would
    there be any cost savings, operation advantages/disadvantages etc?

    bodger, May 20, 2004

  2. bodger

    Martin Guest

    Had a client use Telstra Clear for Email - it kinda sucked because it only
    supported MAPI and not IMAP and POP so it was quite slow and if the link
    went down (dsl) then all the clients (outlook) locked up - I think they
    support IMAP now so should be better..

    The cost saving would be best if you had a large number of very small
    branches / offices nationwide rather than smaller number of large offices...

    cheers

    ps the support was piss-poor as well...
    pps yes, i know they could have used Outlook in offline mode but then they
    may as well have used a normal ISP and pop accounts...

    Martin, May 20, 2004

  3. In article <c8hmdn$5dc$>,
    says...
    > Had a client use Telstra Clear for Email - it kinda sucked because it only
    > supported MAPI and not IMAP and POP so it was quite slow and if the link
    > went down (dsl) then all the clients (outlook) locked up - I think they
    > support IMAP now so should be better..

    Clear support IMAP, Paradise doesn't.

    Patrick Dunford, May 20, 2004
  4. bodger

    AD. Guest

    On Thu, 20 May 2004 11:11:26 +1200, bodger wrote:

    > Has anyone got an opinion of using an application service provider? Would
    > there be any cost savings, operation advantages/disadvantages etc?

    That entirely depends on your situation and the applications in question,
    as well as how they will be delivered - eg web based apps, or thin client
    terminal server type stuff.

    If it's for a complex 'enterprise' type app and you have no real internal
    IT capacity, then you probably will save lots of money over doing it
    yourself.

    For other situations it may or may not be worth it.

    Advantages:

    No need to worry about patches or backups etc.

    No need to maintain or upgrade server capacity yourself.

    Typically an operating expense rather than a capital outlay. Depending on
    your accounts, that could be an advantage.

    Disadvantages:

    Can need a good internet or WAN connection, preferably one that doesn't
    charge for traffic between you and the ASP. If your connection goes down -
    no more application. Some applications can very sensitive to network
    latency issues as well.

    You have to trust the security of the ASP.

    You have no control over the system, and changes may take longer to
    organise than it would in house.

    A cheap ASP may have lousy performance because they squeeze more clients
    onto a server.

    Anyway, I work for a software company that has an application available
    as an ASP option. The ASP we use is http://www.hdsnz.com, and we find them
    pretty good.

    Cheers
    Anton