    Why is a service listed as a hardware device??? Will this problem be
    resolved if I find the driver?? Is this problem caused by SP2 plus the
    updates?? How can I sort this out??

    Sirius, May 9, 2005

  2. "Sirius" <> wrote in message
    news:_PPfe.91$...
    > I've installed XP, followed by SP2, followed by all critical updates. I've
    > also installed a few other basic programs. Now I find that when I
    > uninstall
    > a program, at the next boot up, the found new hardware wizard kicks in and
    > requests a driver for the new hardware "Application Management". It is
    > unable to find it on the internet, or the Windows or SP2 CD.
    >
    > "Application Management" is listed in Device Manager under other devices.
    > It
    > has a yellow exclamation mark and a message saying it is not correctly
    > configured (Code 1), and reinstall driver. It can be uninstalled, however
    > the found new hardware wizard kicks in again and it is back, if I
    > uninstall something else.
    >
    > Application Management is listed as a service, and can be started.
    >
    > Why is a service listed as a hardware device??? Will this problem be
    > resolved if I find the driver?? Is this problem caused by SP2 plus the
    > updates?? How can I sort this out??

    http://www.theeldergeek.com/application_management.htm

    It's not a problem on my XP pro machines running SP 2, because it's in
    Manual Mode and is not Started as a service. You might just want to disable
    the service.

    Duane :)

    Hate K-CSC -- Duane ;-\), May 9, 2005

  3. Sirius

    Sirius Guest

    "Hate K-CSC -- Duane ;-)" <> wrote in message

    > "Sirius" <> wrote in message
    >> I've installed XP, followed by SP2, followed by all critical updates.
    >> I've
    >> also installed a few other basic programs. Now I find that when I
    >> uninstall
    >> a program, at the next boot up, the found new hardware wizard kicks in
    >> and
    >> requests a driver for the new hardware "Application Management". It is
    >> unable to find it on the internet, or the Windows or SP2 CD.
    >>
    >> "Application Management" is listed in Device Manager under other devices.
    >> It
    >> has a yellow exclamation mark and a message saying it is not correctly
    >> configured (Code 1), and reinstall driver. It can be uninstalled, however
    >> the found new hardware wizard kicks in again and it is back, if I
    >> uninstall something else.
    >>
    >> Application Management is listed as a service, and can be started.
    >>
    >> Why is a service listed as a hardware device??? Will this problem be
    >> resolved if I find the driver?? Is this problem caused by SP2 plus the
    >> updates?? How can I sort this out??
    >>

    > http://www.theeldergeek.com/application_management.htm
    >
    > It's not a problem on my XP pro machines running SP 2, because it's in
    > Manual Mode and is not Started as a service. You might just want to
    > disable the service.
    >
    > Duane :)

    Yep same here - its set to manual start, and disabling it (in device
    manager) seeemd to solve the problem - until I uninstalled something else
    (Acrobat Reader 7.0 as it happens) and then the found-new-hardware wizard
    sprang up again. I could disable it each time I suppose and just put up with
    having the exclamation mark in device manager, but I'm not happy with that.

    Sirius, May 9, 2005