Application failed to start

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Zebis, Apr 3, 2005.

  1. Zebis

    Zebis Guest

    Recently running executables over a network on a Windows XP machine
    gives me this error:
    "This application has failed to start because the application
    configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this
    problem."

    Its happened in the last 2-3months, and only occurs on Windows XP
    clients when running installation programs that are stored on an older
    Windows 98 PC (large hard drive holding various downloads)

    If I copy the installation program to the local C Drive and run it -
    it works fine. Windows 2000 and 98/Me clients are not affected.

    What is the cause of this? - Ive tried reading some MS KB articles but
    not getting anywhere.

    It appears to be related to anything that involkes the Windows
    Installer. Packages with built in self installers work fine.

    Matt
    Zebis, Apr 3, 2005

  2. Zebis wrote:
    > Recently running executables over a network on a Windows XP machine
    > gives me this error:
    > "This application has failed to start because the application
    > configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this
    > problem."
    >
    > Its happened in the last 2-3months, and only occurs on Windows XP
    > clients when running installation programs that are stored on an older
    > Windows 98 PC (large hard drive holding various downloads)
    >
    > If I copy the installation program to the local C Drive and run it -
    > it works fine. Windows 2000 and 98/Me clients are not affected.
    >
    > What is the cause of this? - Ive tried reading some MS KB articles but
    > not getting anywhere.
    >
    > It appears to be related to anything that involkes the Windows
    > Installer. Packages with built in self installers work fine.

    someone mentioned this a few weeks back, I believe it may have been an
    SP2 issue, have a look in the archives of this group.

    it was related to running them from a 9x box
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 4, 2005

  3. Zebis

    Tim Guest

    There was an old issue where you either had to use a mapped network drive
    for the installer path or a UNC - one or the other forget which.

    Is your XP box patched up to date? There have been a few MSI updates, but
    most have been to add new facilities updates EG support for x64 is the most
    recent I have seen.

    Tim, Apr 4, 2005