    What should I be looking for in "Help" please? Do I need the computer man?

    Thank you
    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Jul 22, 2007

  2. Geopelia

    Cima Guest

    On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 16:43:46 +1200, "Geopelia" <> wrote:

    >I keep getting error messages that the application failed to initialize. It
    >happens with Outlook Express and Internet Explorer.
    >If I restart the computer it usually fixes it, but why has it suddenly
    >started doing this? I have no viruses, and updates are up to date.
    >
    >Windows XP
    >
    >What should I be looking for in "Help" please? Do I need the computer man?
    >
    >Thank you
    >Geopelia

    From this link:
    http://www.ureader.com/message/2557106.aspx

    Go to Start | Run and type
    regedit
    and press <Enter>.
    In the left column navigate to
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RPCKDM]
    and highlight it. Right click it and select Export, giving it a name you
    can remember. Then right click it again and select Delete.

    Cima, Jul 23, 2007

  3. In message <>, Cima wrote:

    > On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 16:43:46 +1200, "Geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I keep getting error messages that the application failed to initialize.
    >>It happens with Outlook Express and Internet Explorer.
    >>If I restart the computer it usually fixes it, but why has it suddenly
    >>started doing this? I have no viruses, and updates are up to date.
    >>
    >>Windows XP

    > From this link:
    > http://www.ureader.com/message/2557106.aspx
    >

    > Go to Start | Run and type
    > regedit
    > and press <Enter>.
    > In the left column navigate to
    > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RPCKDM]
    > and highlight it. Right click it and select Export, giving it a name you
    > can remember. Then right click it again and select Delete.

    Just a note, for a self-confessed novice like Geopelia, that mistakes in
    Windows Registry edits can completely destroy your system. Proceed with
    care.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 23, 2007
  4. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    > In message <>, Cima wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 16:43:46 +1200, "Geopelia" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I keep getting error messages that the application failed to initialize.
    >>>It happens with Outlook Express and Internet Explorer.
    >>>If I restart the computer it usually fixes it, but why has it suddenly
    >>>started doing this? I have no viruses, and updates are up to date.
    >>>
    >>>Windows XP

    >> From this link:
    >> http://www.ureader.com/message/2557106.aspx
    >>

    >> Go to Start | Run and type
    >> regedit
    >> and press <Enter>.
    >> In the left column navigate to
    >> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RPCKDM]
    >> and highlight it. Right click it and select Export, giving it a name you
    >> can remember. Then right click it again and select Delete.

    > Just a note, for a self-confessed novice like Geopelia, that mistakes in
    > Windows Registry edits can completely destroy your system. Proceed with
    > care.

    Thank you. That is a bit complicated for me. It looks like a job for the
    computer man.
    I cause enough chaos without getting into the works.

    It's working all right today, so far.

    (I used to have PC Power in Link Drive, but they seem to have closed down.
    Dick Smith is there now).

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Jul 23, 2007
  5. Geopelia

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Geopelia" <> wrote in message

    >> In message <>, Cima wrote:

    >>> From this link:
    >>> http://www.ureader.com/message/2557106.aspx
    >>>

    >>> Go to Start | Run and type
    >>> regedit
    >>> and press <Enter>.
    >>> In the left column navigate to
    >>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RPCKDM]
    >>> and highlight it. Right click it and select Export, giving it a name
    >>> you
    >>> can remember. Then right click it again and select Delete.

    >> Just a note, for a self-confessed novice like Geopelia, that mistakes in
    >> Windows Registry edits can completely destroy your system. Proceed with
    >> care.

    > Thank you. That is a bit complicated for me. It looks like a job for the
    > computer man.
    > I cause enough chaos without getting into the works.
    >
    > It's working all right today, so far.
    >
    > (I used to have PC Power in Link Drive, but they seem to have closed down.
    > Dick Smith is there now).
    >
    > Geopelia

    You really don't want to be changing anything in the Registry (that makes
    programs work properly) even if it might be on the right track of doing some
    good.
    Many options in the Registry look similar but they're not.

    You can run Hijack This and Spambot to see what they come up with.

    Real good advice from LD for a change.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jul 23, 2007
  6. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    > "Geopelia" <> wrote in message

    >>> Just a note, for a self-confessed novice like Geopelia, that mistakes in
    >>> Windows Registry edits can completely destroy your system. Proceed with
    >>> care.

    >> Thank you. That is a bit complicated for me. It looks like a job for the
    >> computer man.
    >> I cause enough chaos without getting into the works.
    >>
    >> It's working all right today, so far.
    >>
    >> (I used to have PC Power in Link Drive, but they seem to have closed
    >> down. Dick Smith is there now).
    >>
    >> Geopelia

    > You really don't want to be changing anything in the Registry (that makes
    > programs work properly) even if it might be on the right track of doing
    > some good.
    > Many options in the Registry look similar but they're not.
    >
    > You can run Hijack This and Spambot to see what they come up with.
    >
    > Real good advice from LD for a change.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    People here are very helpful, but alas I don't know enough to try a lot of
    what they say.
    Advice is appreciated, though, and I save it, as I hope one day I'll know a
    bit more about what I am supposed to be doing.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Jul 24, 2007
  7. In message <f83qds$qcb$>, Geopelia wrote:

    > Advice is appreciated, though, and I save it, as I hope one day I'll know
    > a bit more about what I am supposed to be doing.

    You have to learn by doing, and unfortunately doing can often lead to
    mistakes. All those who might be considered experts here got that way by
    committing their share of screwups.

    So among the first things you learn are techniques for guarding against, and
    recovering from, screwups.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 24, 2007
  8. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    > In message <f83qds$qcb$>, Geopelia wrote:
    >
    >> Advice is appreciated, though, and I save it, as I hope one day I'll know
    >> a bit more about what I am supposed to be doing.

    > You have to learn by doing, and unfortunately doing can often lead to
    > mistakes. All those who might be considered experts here got that way by
    > committing their share of screwups.
    >
    > So among the first things you learn are techniques for guarding against,
    > and
    > recovering from, screwups.

    This computer is weird, sometimes. I clicked ABC Spelling, and a message
    came up that it was installing Picture It.
    Which it couldn't do as there was no CD in the slot.
    Crazy machine!

    Geopelia, Jul 25, 2007
  9. In message <f87ghi$alp$>, Geopelia wrote:

    > This computer is weird, sometimes. I clicked ABC Spelling, and a message
    > came up that it was installing Picture It.
    > Which it couldn't do as there was no CD in the slot.
    > Crazy machine!

    When was the last time you did a system reinstall? You need to do that from
    time to time with Dimdows.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 26, 2007
  10. Geopelia

    E. Scrooge Guest

    > In message <f87ghi$alp$>, Geopelia wrote:
    >
    >> This computer is weird, sometimes. I clicked ABC Spelling, and a message
    >> came up that it was installing Picture It.
    >> Which it couldn't do as there was no CD in the slot.
    >> Crazy machine!

    > When was the last time you did a system reinstall? You need to do that
    > from
    > time to time with Dimdows.

    Not with WINDOWS XP you don't.
    Pity as you weren't doing that bad in this thread up till then.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jul 27, 2007
  11. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    >> In message <f87ghi$alp$>, Geopelia wrote:
    >>
    >>> This computer is weird, sometimes. I clicked ABC Spelling, and a message
    >>> came up that it was installing Picture It.
    >>> Which it couldn't do as there was no CD in the slot.
    >>> Crazy machine!

    >> When was the last time you did a system reinstall? You need to do that
    >> from
    >> time to time with Dimdows.

    > Not with WINDOWS XP you don't.
    > Pity as you weren't doing that bad in this thread up till then.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    I've now got a new computer man so I hope he'll be able to fix the problems.
    If I'm not around for a few days it's because the computer is away.

    This computer is geriatric in human years, but then so am I!

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Jul 27, 2007
  12. Geopelia

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Geopelia" <> wrote in message

    > "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message

    >>> When was the last time you did a system reinstall? You need to do that
    >>> from
    >>> time to time with Dimdows.

    >> Not with WINDOWS XP you don't.
    >> Pity as you weren't doing that bad in this thread up till then.
    >>
    >> E. Scrooge

    > I've now got a new computer man so I hope he'll be able to fix the
    > problems. If I'm not around for a few days it's because the computer is
    > away.
    >
    > This computer is geriatric in human years, but then so am I!
    >
    > Geopelia

    There's some good powerful secondhand PCs with XP around going fairly cheap
    for around $200 at times. Your computer man might help you find a good one.
    Could be well worth it if you're using an old PC running something like
    Windows 98.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jul 27, 2007
  13. In message <1185567795.153692@ftpsrv1>, *sling wrote:

    > "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I've now got a new computer man so I hope he'll be able to fix the
    >> problems.
    >>
    >> This computer is geriatric in human years, but then so am I!

    > There's some good powerful secondhand PCs with XP around going fairly
    > cheap for around $200 at times.

    But then again, if all you're doing is basic Internet stuff--Web browsing,
    mail, news--do you really need the hassles of managing a Windows
    installation?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 28, 2007
  14. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    > In message <1185567795.153692@ftpsrv1>, *sling wrote:
    >
    >> "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I've now got a new computer man so I hope he'll be able to fix the
    >>> problems.
    >>>
    >>> This computer is geriatric in human years, but then so am I!

    >> There's some good powerful secondhand PCs with XP around going fairly
    >> cheap for around $200 at times.

    > But then again, if all you're doing is basic Internet stuff--Web browsing,
    > mail, news--do you really need the hassles of managing a Windows
    > installation?

    This one started with ME but had XP put in about two years ago. I think it
    needs more memory,which the computer man will do, and PC-cillin needs
    looking at.
    I don't play these fancy games, would never find the time anyway.

    Geopelia, Jul 28, 2007
  15. Geopelia

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Geopelia" <> wrote in message

    >> In message <1185567795.153692@ftpsrv1>, *sling wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Geopelia" <> wrote in message

    >>> There's some good powerful secondhand PCs with XP around going fairly
    >>> cheap for around $200 at times.

    >> But then again, if all you're doing is basic Internet stuff--Web
    >> browsing,
    >> mail, news--do you really need the hassles of managing a Windows
    >> installation?
    >>

    > This one started with ME but had XP put in about two years ago. I think it
    > needs more memory,which the computer man will do, and PC-cillin needs
    > looking at.
    > I don't play these fancy games, would never find the time anyway.

    256MB RAM is just enough for XP too run fairly well doing basic needs.
    512MB RAM doesn't make that much difference to the speed without having a
    good graphics card as well, even without doing anything too fancy on the
    computer.

    Consider the age of your computer in case of hardware failure at some time.
    Then the cost of upgrading it a bit compared to getting a more powerful
    later model PC with XP for around $200. A good PC compatible would be
    better than a HP / Compaq, which are noisy things when accessing the CD
    drive etc even working right.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jul 28, 2007