Application abending with exception codes "0xc0000005" or "0xc0000374"

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Howard Woodard, Nov 3, 2008.

  1. I've found hundreds of entries on this problem but none of which end with
    any kind of definitive solution. At least none that have made any sense or
    difference in my case.

    I have a new 64 bit build and just installed some software that I have been
    successfully using on a 32 bit platform. It's a 32 bit application but the
    vendor says that it runs on either a 32 bit or 64 bit platform. However, on
    the 64 bit build it, and only it, is constantly abending with one of two
    exception codes.

    I have almost nothing other than Vista Ultimate 64 bit, Office Professional,
    and Pinnacle Studio (video editing software) installed. While everything
    else seems to work flawlessly, Studio abends far more often than it runs
    successfully. Trying just about anything that has to do with opening or
    saving the files, including just clicking on exit, will cause it to quit
    working or [occasionally] quit responding.

    Most of the time it quits with exception code "0xc0000005" or "0xc0000374"
    and when it just stops responding I get "Studio.exe version 12.1.3.6605
    stopped interacting with Windows and was closed". After my config info I
    have listed examples of the three types of failures.

    I have disabled DEP, run memory diagnostics, updated drivers, rolled back
    drivers, removed my RAID configuration, and removed all security software.
    I have removed Studio 12, run RegDelete and re-installed but, so far,
    nothing has made any difference.

    Does anyone know how I can delve a little deeper into the troubleshooting
    process for these exception codes?

    Howard
    Redmond, WA
    ASUS P5Q, Q9450@3.0ghz, 4 Gb DDR2, Vista Ultimate sp1 (64 bit), c:=500 Gb
    SATA2, d:=640 Gb SATA2, I/O Magic DVD Writer, geForce 8800 GTS w/1024 MB,
    Pinnacle Studio Ultimate v12.1.3
    Product
    Studio program file

    Problem
    Stopped working

    Date
    10/19/2008 1:50 PM

    Status
    Report Sent

    Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: Studio.exe
    Application Version: 12.1.3.6605
    Application Timestamp: 48ed54e5
    Fault Module Name: StackHash_8468
    Fault Module Version: 6.0.6001.18000
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4791a783
    Exception Code: c0000374
    Exception Offset: 000aada3
    OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 8468
    Additional Information 2: 402ef5f8f4bc3786b3e23632cd45ba11
    Additional Information 3: 41c2
    Additional Information 4: 381f133192eb7f3aa1b5b40d2a7cb8f9

    Extra information about the problem
    Bucket ID: 976003734

    ==================================

    Product
    Studio program file

    Problem
    Stopped responding and was closed

    Date
    10/19/2008 1:57 PM

    Status
    Report Sent

    Description
    A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

    Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
    Application Name: Studio.exe
    Application Version: 12.1.3.6605
    Application Timestamp: 48ed54e5
    Hang Signature: 063f
    Hang Type: 517
    OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Hang Signature 1: ecece04ee6a7a2618b3181d7d1c1957c
    Additional Hang Signature 2: 8b51
    Additional Hang Signature 3: 7e918e7c76e40e63bf1d6dc2d11e00fa
    Additional Hang Signature 4: 063f
    Additional Hang Signature 5: ecece04ee6a7a2618b3181d7d1c1957c
    Additional Hang Signature 6: 8b51
    Additional Hang Signature 7: 7e918e7c76e40e63bf1d6dc2d11e00fa

    Extra information about the problem
    Bucket ID: 360290153

    Product
    Studio program file

    Problem
    Stopped working

    Date
    10/21/2008 1:59 PM

    Status
    Not Reported

    Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: Studio.exe
    Application Version: 12.1.3.6605
    Application Timestamp: 48ed54e5
    Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
    Fault Module Version: 6.0.6001.18000
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4791a783
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 00061aea
    OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: fd00
    Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
    Additional Information 3: fd00
    Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

    ======================================

    Howard Woodard, Nov 3, 2008

  2. Howard Woodard

    Mark H Guest

    This probably won't help much, but these exception codes mean the following:
    0xC0000005 -
    STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION

    0xC0000374 -
    STATUS_HEAP_CORRUPTION

    The first indicates a memory access violation occurred. This could easily be
    a result of the second error, the heap corruption depending on where the
    corruption occurs. Most instances googled indicate heap corruption is
    difficult to track down as it can appear to be random. A corrupt heap is
    almost certainly an application-caused issue. Vista checks for these things
    in an attempt to avoid random crashes at some later point. (MS's previous
    OS's did not check for this error, it just crashed.)

    Continuing on this basis, there is a LOT of detailed troubleshooting here:
    1. Make sure you have the most recent Pinnacle Studio 12 patch: (10/15/08)
    2. Follow the suggestions here:
    http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer Products/?viewRN=rnanswer

    Good luck!

    Mark H, Nov 4, 2008