    Someone has just asked me for virus protection software for an apple...

    They dont really get them to they?, Is there any point?

    If there is.. Does anyone have any suggestions

    Andrew, Feb 26, 2006

  2. On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 11:53:49 +1300, Andrew wrote:

    > Someone has just asked me for virus protection software for an apple...
    >
    > They dont really get them to they?, Is there any point?
    >
    > If there is.. Does anyone have any suggestions

    Hi, Andrew.

    I believe that there actually are one or two viruses for the Mac. Only one
    or two, and only very recently. If your client/friend/mate/collegue/self
    follows a very simple procedure then you shouldn't have any problems with
    viruses on the Mac.

    1/ never use Micro$oft software.
    2/ always keep your system fully updated at all times.
    3/ never open attachments to unsolicited emails.
    4/ only open attachments to emails from people you know when you have been
    advised in advance that you will be receiving the attachment.
    5/ do not use a "preview" pane in your email programme. There is no such
    a thing as a "preview".
    6/ do not use HTML for email. Use plain text only. Do not permit scripts
    to run in emails. Only permit scripts to run in web pages that you are
    confident are safe pages.
    7/ always keep your system fully updated at all times.
    8/ always keep your system fully updated at all times.
    9/ never use Micro$oft software.
    10/ only permit access to parts of your computer that the user absolutely
    needs access to, and only grant the absolute minimum privileges in order
    to do their work. If they need more privileges for a task, then they
    should only have the extra privilege for the specified task, and only for
    as long as necessary to get that task done - ie "sudo".

    If your "someone" is not sufficiently clued up as to be able to do all the
    above, then they should not in any way be using a computer that is
    attached to the Internet!

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    "Linux and MySQL are going to keep chipping away at Micro$ofts' install
    base and it is terrified. Why else would they keep spouting on about how

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Feb 27, 2006

  3. On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 11:53:49 +1300, Andrew wrote:

    > Someone has just asked me for virus protection software for an apple...
    >
    > They dont really get them to they?, Is there any point?
    >
    > If there is.. Does anyone have any suggestions

    Sophos for the Mac (assuming OS X here) is available. Apart from detecting
    Windows viruses it is pretty much a waste of time though. I mean one time
    Sophos tried to remove a non-existant virus and caused more damage than
    real viruses.

    Of course keep an eye on Mac news sites for real viruses in the wild. Same
    old story - don't install software you can't trust (it could be a trojan or
    even an Applescript "do shell script rm -rf ~/" ).

    wogers nemesis, Feb 27, 2006
  4. Andrew wrote:

    > Someone has just asked me for virus protection software for an apple...
    > They dont really get them to they?, Is there any point?
    > If there is.. Does anyone have any suggestions

    There are currently no viruses that are known to affect OS X. There are
    trojans around, but common sense is your best defense against those.

    I would recommend that you ensure that your day-to-day user account
    does not have admin privileges enabled. Create a seperate account with
    admin privileges enabled and use it only when you need to install or
    update software.

    If you really feel the need for anti-virus software, there is a Mac
    version of Norton Anti-Virus available, but from all accounts it's a
    resource hog and a general PITA.

    alastair.geek.nz, Feb 27, 2006
  5. Andrew

    Murray Symon Guest

    On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 11:53:49 +1300, Andrew wrote:

    > Someone has just asked me for virus protection software for an apple...
    >
    > They dont really get them to they?, Is there any point?
    >
    > If there is.. Does anyone have any suggestions

    Check out the Mac specific newsgroups

    There was recently a Mac Virus FAQ posted on comp.sys.mac.misc and
    comp.sys.mac.system.

    Also recent threads on "best antivirus solution" on
    comp.sys.mac.system

    Here's a link to the latest Safari vulnerability ...
    http://secunia.com/advisories/18963/
    The workaround is to disable automatic opening of ZIP files.

    --
    Murray.

    Murray Symon, Feb 27, 2006
  6. In <rjqMf.154669$> Andrew wrote:
    > Someone has just asked me for virus protection software for an apple...
    >
    > They dont really get them to they?, Is there any point?
    >
    > If there is.. Does anyone have any suggestions

    There are some commercial antivirus programs for the Mac like Virex and
    Norton AntiVirus. Since they generally wouldn't protect you until the
    definitions were updated anyway you may as well wait until there is a
    serious malware threat before buying them.

    If they want something anyway ClamAV would be a good choice. It's free,
    and there's a free GUI front-end for it called ClamXav.

    http://www.clamxav.com/

    http://roger.geek.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Feb 27, 2006
  7. Andrew

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Andrew wrote:
    >
    > > Someone has just asked me for virus protection software for an apple...
    > > They dont really get them to they?, Is there any point?
    > > If there is.. Does anyone have any suggestions

    > There are currently no viruses that are known to affect OS X. There are
    > trojans around, but common sense is your best defense against those.
    >
    > I would recommend that you ensure that your day-to-day user account
    > does not have admin privileges enabled. Create a seperate account with
    > admin privileges enabled and use it only when you need to install or
    > update software.
    >
    > If you really feel the need for anti-virus software, there is a Mac
    > version of Norton Anti-Virus available, but from all accounts it's a
    > resource hog and a general PITA.

    Apple plugs 20 OS X holes

    http://software.silicon.com/security/0,39024655,39156900,00.htm

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Mar 5, 2006
  8. Andrew

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Andrew wrote:
    >
    > > Someone has just asked me for virus protection software for an apple...
    > > They dont really get them to they?, Is there any point?
    > > If there is.. Does anyone have any suggestions

    > There are currently no viruses that are known to affect OS X. There are
    > trojans around, but common sense is your best defense against those.
    >
    > I would recommend that you ensure that your day-to-day user account
    > does not have admin privileges enabled. Create a seperate account with
    > admin privileges enabled and use it only when you need to install or
    > update software.
    >
    > If you really feel the need for anti-virus software, there is a Mac
    > version of Norton Anti-Virus available, but from all accounts it's a
    > resource hog and a general PITA.

    But wait, there's more...

    Mac OS X hacked under 30 minutes

    http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/security/soa/Mac_OS_X_hacked_in_less_than_
    30_minutes/0,2000061744,39241748,00.htm

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Mar 6, 2006
  9. Dave Doe wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > says...

    > > There are currently no viruses that are known to affect OS X. There are
    > > trojans around, but common sense is your best defense against those.

    > But wait, there's more...
    > Mac OS X hacked under 30 minutes

    I'm not sure if your response to my post was an attempt to rebut my
    point, but the article that you've pointed out doesn't show any
    evidence of viruses infecting the Macintosh. There is no doubt that OS
    X has security flaws but, as long as software is coded by humans, this
    will always be the case with any operating system.

    alastair.geek.nz, Mar 6, 2006
  10. Andrew

    MarkH Guest

    Dave Doe <> wrote in

    > Mac OS X hacked under 30 minutes
    >
    > http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/security/soa/Mac_OS_X_hacked_in_less_than_
    > 30_minutes/0,2000061744,39241748,00.htm

    Most of us know that closed-source OSs are more vulnerable because the
    patches are released on the timetable of the vendor and the bug finding is
    done only with the resources they are willing to devote to it.

    Open source bugs are found quicker and patched faster.

    Of course MS will make vista completely bug proof, hacker proof and virus
    proof, at least until it is released and the virus writers and hackers get
    started.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Mar 6, 2006
  11. Andrew

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Dave Doe wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > says...

    > > > There are currently no viruses that are known to affect OS X. There are
    > > > trojans around, but common sense is your best defense against those.

    > > But wait, there's more...
    > > Mac OS X hacked under 30 minutes

    > I'm not sure if your response to my post was an attempt to rebut my
    > point, but the article that you've pointed out doesn't show any
    > evidence of viruses infecting the Macintosh. There is no doubt that OS
    > X has security flaws but, as long as software is coded by humans, this
    > will always be the case with any operating system.

    Perhaps you didn't read my other post - it refers to 20 OSX flaws that
    they have had to address - and points to the worm...

    Apple users hit by world's first Mac OS X virus
    http://hardware.silicon.com/desktops/0,39024645,39156522,00.htm

    (I guess you'll say a worm is not a virus?)

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Mar 7, 2006