    UTC. Did Apple manage to screw up something in a userland compatibility
    layer?

    Compatibility with what?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 15, 2011

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    David Empson Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    > This seems to be a continuing saga with Apple devices
    > <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/did-you-wake-up-to-iphoneipod-touch-dst-
    > woes-today/11867>.

    A better title would be "people who haven't updated their software are
    still being affected by a known bug in that version".

    The only one I saw in that article's talkback that clearly confirmed
    they had the "alarm an hour earlier or later" bug was running iOS 4.1,
    which is the version that had the bug last year.

    Apple fixed that particular bug in iOS 4.2, which was released in
    November 2010.

    Those who reported running iOS 3.x or the current 4.3 were fine. The
    only other problems mentioned might have been due to cellphone networks
    supplying incorrect time after the daylight saving transition.

    I've also seen similar comments elsewhere, and again the only people who
    clearly identified the same bug and the version were on iOS 4.1.

    All iOS devices running 4.1 are able to be upgraded to 4.2, so there is
    little point complaining again about a bug that Apple already fixed, but
    you didn't bother installing the fixed version.

    > But I thought the kernel was BSD-based, which means system time should be in
    > UTC. Did Apple manage to screw up something in a userland compatibility
    > layer?

    The bug in iOS 4.1 with alarms going off an hour early or late after
    daylight saving transitions was specific to one application (the Clock
    app supplied with the iPhone and iPod Touch).

    Everything else on the iPhone behaved correctly. Time changed at the
    transition, calendar events were timed correctly, etc.

    The effect was that recurring alarms shifted two hours earlier in UTC
    after the spring daylight saving transition (local time went forward one
    hour, thus the alarm was an hour early), and didn't shift in UTC after
    the autumn daylight saving transition (local time went back one hour,
    thus the alarm was an hour late).

    Both problems only lasted a few weeks then fixed themselves.

    It wasn't clear exactly to me how the bug in the Clock app could have
    been implemented, but I suspect that it was doing something along the
    lines of a Local-to-UTC conversion with the wrong local time zone
    specified, then UTC-to-Local with the right local time zone.

    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, Mar 15, 2011

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <1jy73et.hmbefrmwns0jN%>,
    , David Empson says...

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    > > This seems to be a continuing saga with Apple devices
    > > <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/did-you-wake-up-to-iphoneipod-touch-dst-
    > > woes-today/11867>.

    > A better title would be "people who haven't updated their software are
    > still being affected by a known bug in that version".
    >
    > The only one I saw in that article's talkback that clearly confirmed
    > they had the "alarm an hour earlier or later" bug was running iOS 4.1,
    > which is the version that had the bug last year.
    >
    > Apple fixed that particular bug in iOS 4.2, which was released in
    > November 2010.
    >
    > Those who reported running iOS 3.x or the current 4.3 were fine. The
    > only other problems mentioned might have been due to cellphone networks
    > supplying incorrect time after the daylight saving transition.
    >
    > I've also seen similar comments elsewhere, and again the only people who
    > clearly identified the same bug and the version were on iOS 4.1.
    >
    > All iOS devices running 4.1 are able to be upgraded to 4.2, so there is
    > little point complaining again about a bug that Apple already fixed, but
    > you didn't bother installing the fixed version.
    >
    > > But I thought the kernel was BSD-based, which means system time should be in
    > > UTC. Did Apple manage to screw up something in a userland compatibility
    > > layer?

    > The bug in iOS 4.1 with alarms going off an hour early or late after
    > daylight saving transitions was specific to one application (the Clock
    > app supplied with the iPhone and iPod Touch).
    >
    > Everything else on the iPhone behaved correctly. Time changed at the
    > transition, calendar events were timed correctly, etc.
    >
    > The effect was that recurring alarms shifted two hours earlier in UTC
    > after the spring daylight saving transition (local time went forward one
    > hour, thus the alarm was an hour early), and didn't shift in UTC after
    > the autumn daylight saving transition (local time went back one hour,
    > thus the alarm was an hour late).
    >
    > Both problems only lasted a few weeks then fixed themselves.
    >
    > It wasn't clear exactly to me how the bug in the Clock app could have
    > been implemented, but I suspect that it was doing something along the
    > lines of a Local-to-UTC conversion with the wrong local time zone
    > specified, then UTC-to-Local with the right local time zone.

    I think what fucked a lot of iPhone users off was that they refused to
    issue an interim update - and made users wait (over a month) for the 4.2
    update. It's like... we don't care about Australiasian users.

    And for folk that sync their calendars, rely on their calendars, work
    based on their calendars - this was a major PITA - with alarms going off
    an hour early.

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Mar 15, 2011
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    David Empson Guest

    Dave Doe <> wrote:

    > In article <1jy73et.hmbefrmwns0jN%>,
    > , David Empson says...
    > > The bug in iOS 4.1 with alarms going off an hour early or late after
    > > daylight saving transitions was specific to one application (the Clock
    > > app supplied with the iPhone and iPod Touch).
    > >
    > > Everything else on the iPhone behaved correctly. Time changed at the
    > > transition, calendar events were timed correctly, etc.

    [...]

    > I think what fucked a lot of iPhone users off was that they refused to
    > issue an interim update - and made users wait (over a month) for the 4.2
    > update. It's like... we don't care about Australiasian users.

    If so, they didn't care about rather a lot more northern hemisphere
    users either.

    iOS 4.2 was released after the US ended daylight saving, so everyone
    relying on iPhones for alarms had them going off an hour late.

    Those still running iOS 4.1 in the northern hemisphere are now
    experiencing the start of daylight saving bug, with alarms going off an
    hour early.

    Anyone in the southern hemisphere still running iOS 4.1 will get alarms
    going off an hour late when daylight saving ends for us (in just over
    two weeks for New Zealand).

    > And for folk that sync their calendars, rely on their calendars, work
    > based on their calendars - this was a major PITA - with alarms going off
    > an hour early.

    The bug had nothing to do with calendars, just the Clock app. Alarms
    generated by the calendar were coming up at the correct times.

    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, Mar 15, 2011
  5. In article <-september.org>, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    (snip)
    >And for folk that sync their calendars, rely on their calendars, work
    >based on their calendars - this was a major PITA - with alarms going off
    >an hour early.

    Sure ... but could have been worse ... an hour later would have been worse
    I'm thinking :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Mar 15, 2011