    software .... even though the local Dick Smurf sales people assured him it
    would work fine - LoL

    Rider

    Rider, Jun 24, 2005

  2. Rider

    AD. Guest

    On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 13:53:48 +1200, Rider wrote:

    > OK, I know about this much |-| about Apple hardware or software. A client
    > has asked me if there is an upgrade file to take his OS-X from 10.1.4 to
    > 10.2.3.
    >
    > he asked right after I told him I know absolutely nothing about Apple
    > products. :$
    >
    > Anyone know what he can do?

    Legally, he'll have to shell out for an upgrade. I'm not entirely sure but
    it'll probably cost about $200-250, and at the moment only upgrades to
    10.4 will likely be available in the shops.

    A second hand one maybe?

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Jun 24, 2005

  3. Rider

    Chris Hope Guest

    AD. wrote:

    > On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 13:53:48 +1200, Rider wrote:
    >
    >> OK, I know about this much |-| about Apple hardware or software. A
    >> client has asked me if there is an upgrade file to take his OS-X from
    >> 10.1.4 to 10.2.3.
    >>
    >> he asked right after I told him I know absolutely nothing about Apple
    >> products. :$
    >>
    >> Anyone know what he can do?

    > Legally, he'll have to shell out for an upgrade. I'm not entirely sure
    > but it'll probably cost about $200-250, and at the moment only
    > upgrades to 10.4 will likely be available in the shops.

    The last time I asked I was told the only way to do it is to buy the
    current version. The 10.4 release is in the $200 to $250 price range
    but the older 10.3 release was in the $250 to $300 range.

    There's no special upgrade price or anything as far as I can tell; it
    looks like the installer either creates a new installation or offers
    you the option to upgrade an existing one if there was one already
    there. I guess not having an upgrade price makes sense because the
    hardware comes with the OS, so you're only ever going to be buying the
    OS as an upgrade for your existing system.

    Chris Hope, Jun 24, 2005
  4. Rider

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <KIJue.9854$>,
    "Rider" <> wrote:

    > OK, I know about this much |-| about Apple hardware or software. A client
    > has asked me if there is an upgrade file to take his OS-X from 10.1.4 to
    > 10.2.3.

    If the printer requires 10.2.3 then it shoud work with anything later
    than that too.

    Which is a good thing, as the only way you'll find anything as ancient
    as 10.2.3 (late 2002 or early 2003?) is used. 10.4 has been out for
    several months.

    For future reference: Retail packs will be 10.1.0 or 10.2.0 or 10.3.0
    etc and cost, generally US$130 or so new. You can then update to
    whatever the latest point version within that major version is for free
    online (for some value of free that involves downloading up to about 100
    MB).

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-

    Bruce Hoult, Jun 24, 2005
  5. On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 13:53:48 +1200, "Rider"
    <> wrote:

    >Anyone know what he can do? The new printer he bought doesnt support his
    >software .... even though the local Dick Smurf sales people assured him it
    >would work fine - LoL

    I don't think the local Dick Smurf people would know what an Apple
    computer was, let alone know if it would work...

    --
    Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
    Gisborne, New Zealand

    Kristofer Clayton, Jun 24, 2005
  6. Rider

    thing Guest

    Kristofer Clayton wrote:
    > On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 13:53:48 +1200, "Rider"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Anyone know what he can do? The new printer he bought doesnt support his
    >>software .... even though the local Dick Smurf sales people assured him it
    >>would work fine - LoL

    > I don't think the local Dick Smurf people would know what an Apple
    > computer was, let alone know if it would work...
    >
    > --
    > Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
    > Gisborne, New Zealand

    Most printer manufacturers do apple software drivers, I assume its a
    Canon? or something "popular" as DSE are selling it. We have a Canon
    5000 series on OSx 10.3 I just downloaded the drivers and away it went.
    I also run a Brother, Epson and a HP off it without a problem....so most
    major makes should be covered.

    If it wont work take it back to DSE and get a refund.

    As for the OS, I dont think you can get an upgrade as such, you just buy
    the full retail OSx 10.4 pack at around $230~280 ish I think it was and
    install. You could install over what you have or buy an external
    firewire disk and put 10.3 on that. Or do waht I did, install a new disk
    into the imac and put the old disk into a DSE firewire case. The iMac
    saw the "old" OS 9.2 as bootable off the firewire, (which surprised me),
    so I ended up with a new 9.2.2, an old 9.2.2 and a new full 10.3.....

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Jun 24, 2005
  7. In <> Kristofer Clayton wrote:
    > On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 13:53:48 +1200, "Rider"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Anyone know what he can do? The new printer he bought doesnt support
    >>his software .... even though the local Dick Smurf sales people
    >>assured him it would work fine - LoL

    > I don't think the local Dick Smurf people would know what an Apple
    > computer was, let alone know if it would work...

    I hope they learn in a hurry (I'm not confident), because it looks like
    they're going to be selling them. I noticed the Mac mini on the DSE web
    site a couple of weeks ago. They might only be selling them through the
    PowerHouse stores (only one in NZ is in Hamilton), but they normally
    state that on the product page.

    http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Jun 24, 2005
  8. In <> Roger Johnstone wrote:

    > In <> Kristofer Clayton
    > wrote:

    >> I don't think the local Dick Smurf people would know what an Apple
    >> computer was, let alone know if it would work...

    > I hope they learn in a hurry (I'm not confident), because it looks
    > like they're going to be selling them. I noticed the Mac mini on the
    > DSE web site a couple of weeks ago. They might only be selling them
    > through the PowerHouse stores (only one in NZ is in Hamilton), but
    > they normally state that on the product page.

    I've also noticed iBooks on their web site although, from what I can
    recall, these were also available only at the Powerhouse store. They
    might be testing the water to see if there's enough demand to introduce
    these products into their mainstream stores, but we'll have to wait and
    see.

    --
    Regards, Alastair.
    Wellington, New Zealand

    My supplied email address is fake. Any views expressed in this posting
    are personal and its content remains the property of Alastair. Alastair
    accepts no responsibility for any misinformation resulting from this
    posting.

    Alastair McAllister, Jun 25, 2005