    are, is it likely that it will all be handled by their NZ distributors
    Renaisence, or would Apple be setting up their own company in NZ.

    Rob

    Rob, Jan 11, 2006

  2. Word on the street is it will be an add on to the Aussie store. They
    have to negotiate with the record companies separately in this country
    tho.

    If you look around online you'll find some screengrabs that look like
    they're from an NZ service, tho these could be photoshopped or
    something.

    Reuben Schwarz, Jan 12, 2006

  3. Word on the street is it will be an add on to the Aussie store. They
    have to negotiate with the record companies separately in this country
    tho.

    I doubt Renaissance would handle it. The itunes stuff all seems to be
    run out of the US or Apple Australia.

    If you look around online you'll find some screengrabs that look like
    they're from an NZ service, tho these could be photoshopped or
    something.

    emule

    Reuben Schwarz, Jan 12, 2006
  4. Reuben Schwarz wrote:

    > Word on the street is it will be an add on to the Aussie store. They
    > have to negotiate with the record companies separately in this country
    > tho.
    >
    > If you look around online you'll find some screengrabs that look like
    > they're from an NZ service, tho these could be photoshopped or
    > something.

    Those screenshots are not fake. I managed to re-produce these error
    messages myself back in April when it was rumoured that Apple Australia
    would simultaneously launch the service in both Australia and New
    Zealand.

    When the Australian iTunes music store was finally launched in October,
    I was surprised that New Zealand was left out in the cold because it's
    my understanding that the same industry body administers music
    copyright negotiations for both Australia and New Zealand. In any case,
    Apple Australia's failure to launch the New Zealand store suggests that
    there must be some extra legal red tape involved in getting it up and
    running here and, given New Zealand's small population, it's unlikely
    that they can justify the cost of the negotiations. In other words, we
    won't have access to the service in the foreseeable future.

    As far as Renaissance is concerned, I seriously doubt that they would
    want to have any involvement in the iTunes Music Store at an
    operational level because they are a distribution and marketing
    company, not an entertainment provider. Having said that, they may well
    be putting pressure on Apple to launch the service here, because it
    would benefit Renaissance by driving sales of Macintoshes and iPods.

    The media in New Zealand has speculated that the iTunes Music Store
    would be launched in January, but appeared to be unable to substantiate
    this claim. Any predictions that they make in the future should
    therefore be taken with a grain of salt.

    alastair.geek.nz, Jan 12, 2006