    1. Advertising

  2. RichA

    John A. Guest

    John A., Jan 22, 2011

  3. RichA

    Mike Guest

    On 22/01/2011 09:06, John A. wrote:
    > On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 22:14:37 -0800 (PST), RichA<>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...-fits-iPhone-4-fixings-impossible-remove.html

    > Meh. A quick google shopping search gives at least a couple sources
    > appropriate screwdrivers for only $6 or so.

    It is annoying when manufacturers deliberately choose to use fixings
    that you haven't got a tool for and you have to hunt around ebay to
    find. Not to mention will only get used once.

    If I've bought one of their overpriced products surely I'm entitled to
    open it up at my own risk.

    Mike

    Mike, Jan 22, 2011
  4. RichA

    peter Guest

    peter, Jan 22, 2011
  5. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:

    >http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...-fits-iPhone-4-fixings-impossible-remove.html

    Problem solved:

    Pentalobe screwdriver GBP 5.99 on eBay (about US $10):
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160534819392

    Perhaps Rich, as a Canadian, is unaware of the pejorative term "Daily
    Mail reader" which is used to describe people who read that UK tabloid
    newspaper - or who frequent its web site - and respond with extreme
    outrage, joy, anger, depression, disappointment, apoplexy, paranoia
    .... [insert emotional response of choice here] ... when reading that
    publication's sensationalist and often completely baseless articles.

    Bruce, Jan 22, 2011
  6. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Jan 22, 1:34 pm, Bruce <> wrote:
    > RichA <> wrote:
    >
    > >http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1349144/Apple-fits-iPh...

    > Problem solved:
    >
    > Pentalobe screwdriver GBP 5.99 on eBay (about US $10):http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160534819392
    >
    > Perhaps Rich, as a Canadian, is unaware of the pejorative term "Daily
    > Mail reader" which is used to describe people who read that UK tabloid
    > newspaper - or who frequent its web site - and respond with extreme
    > outrage, joy, anger, depression, disappointment, apoplexy, paranoia
    > ... [insert emotional response of choice here] ... when reading that
    > publication's sensationalist and often completely baseless articles.

    I hate Apple and the paranoid phonies who run it.

    RichA, Jan 23, 2011
  7. RichA

    John A. Guest

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 10:52:17 -0500, Bowser <> wrote:

    >On 1/22/2011 4:25 AM, Mike wrote:
    >> On 22/01/2011 09:06, John A. wrote:

    >>> Meh. A quick google shopping search gives at least a couple sources
    >>> appropriate screwdrivers for only $6 or so.

    >> It is annoying when manufacturers deliberately choose to use fixings
    >> that you haven't got a tool for and you have to hunt around ebay to
    >> find. Not to mention will only get used once.

    >For me it's very entertaining that the manufacturers actually think that
    >changing the screws will keep people out. This delusional behavior is
    >typical, though.

    Well, it does serve to keep most of the people out who are probably
    better off not getting in. :)

    John A., Jan 23, 2011
  8. RichA

    peter Guest

    On 1/23/2011 12:27 AM, RichA wrote:

    > I hate Apple and the paranoid phonies who run it.

    So don't buy Apple.
    I see you're still the seeds of communism.

    --
    Peter

    peter, Jan 23, 2011
  9. RichA

    Mike Guest

    On 23/01/2011 15:55, John A. wrote:
    > On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 10:52:17 -0500, Bowser<> wrote:

    >>> It is annoying when manufacturers deliberately choose to use fixings
    >>> that you haven't got a tool for and you have to hunt around ebay to
    >>> find. Not to mention will only get used once.

    >> For me it's very entertaining that the manufacturers actually think that
    >> changing the screws will keep people out. This delusional behavior is
    >> typical, though.

    > Well, it does serve to keep most of the people out who are probably
    > better off not getting in. :)

    True if you haven't got the wit to find a suitable tool on ebay then you
    shouldn't open the damn thing up.

    Just annoying that I would have to order one, no doubt dirt cheap from
    china and have to wait weeks for delivery.

    Ah well, I've parted ways with the Iphone in favour of android, with
    standard phillips head screws.

    Mike

    Mike, Jan 23, 2011
  10. RichA

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, John A. <> wrote:
    >On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 10:52:17 -0500, Bowser <> wrote:

    > http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1349144/Apple-fits-iPhone-4-fix
    >ings-impossible-remove.html

    >>> It is annoying when manufacturers deliberately choose to use fixings
    >>> that you haven't got a tool for and you have to hunt around ebay to
    >>> find. Not to mention will only get used once.

    >>For me it's very entertaining that the manufacturers actually think that
    >>changing the screws will keep people out. This delusional behavior is
    >>typical, though.

    >Well, it does serve to keep most of the people out who are probably
    >better off not getting in. :)

    Agreed, nasty things happen when people fudge about with a Lithium Ion battery
    pack.

    GMAN, Jan 24, 2011
  11. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Jan 24, 10:05 pm, Alan Browne <>
    wrote:
    > On 2011.01.23 10:55 , John A. wrote:
    >
    > > On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 10:52:17 -0500, Bowser<>  wrote:

    > >> For me it's very entertaining that the manufacturers actually think that
    > >> changing the screws will keep people out. This delusional behavior is
    > >> typical, though.

    > > Well, it does serve to keep most of the people out who are probably
    > > better off not getting in. :)

    > Yeah.  Like I really needed to spend 45 minutes to replace a freaking HD
    > on an iMac because the slobs at Apple couldn't do it for me in less than
    > 24 hours.

    Well they probably could but perhaps there's a queue for such things.

    > 3 - 7 days was their quote.  Under Apple Care warranty!
    >
    > Screw that - did it myself.

    Under Apple care the drive would be free did you have to buy the
    drive
    or did you get that for free from somewhere.

    > On a PC, MacBook, MacPro the same operation would have taken 10 minutes
    > or less.

    Depends which model, some are easier than others.

    > And as far as I can tell from reading the docs I did not violate the
    > warranty.

    Provided you haven;t done any damage then you're right.

    if you cross thread the screws or loose them then that voids the
    warranty as a friend did
    when he tried to use a philips screwdriver on a torx screw and fraked
    it up so bad it could be undone.
    Breaking anything inside also voids the warrenty

    Whisky-dave, Jan 25, 2011
  12. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Jan 25, 4:04 am, Rich <> wrote:
    > peter <> wrote in news:4d3c81a0$0$5689
    > $-secrets.com:
    >
    > > On 1/23/2011 12:27 AM, RichA wrote:

    > >> I hate Apple and the paranoid phonies who run it.

    > > So don't buy Apple.
    > > I see you're still the seeds of communism.

    > Sheep-like worshippers of large corporations are no better than the cattle
    > under communism.  They both get lead around by the nose.

    Apple have stopped using lead and most harmful chemicals in their
    products ;-)

    Whisky-dave, Jan 25, 2011
  13. RichA

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, John Turco
    <> wrote:

    > > > It is annoying when manufacturers deliberately choose to use fixings
    > > > that you haven't got a tool for and you have to hunt around ebay to
    > > > find. Not to mention will only get used once.

    > > For me it's very entertaining that the manufacturers actually think that
    > > changing the screws will keep people out. This delusional behavior is
    > > typical, though.

    > It probably >does< discourage the average end user, though.

    the average end user isn't going to open their cellphone (or any other
    product) they own. the few who really want to open up their devices can
    buy the appropriate tools.

    i bet very few people have the proper tool to open a samsung or nokia
    or whatever (those screws are *really* tiny, some with security pins).

    nospam, Feb 27, 2011
  14. RichA

    John Turco Guest

    Savageduck wrote:

    > On 2011-01-22 21:27:24 -0800, RichA <> said:

    > >> Problem solved:
    > >>
    > >> Pentalobe screwdriver GBP 5.99 on eBay (about US $10):http://cgi.ebay.co.

    > > uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160534819392
    > >>
    > >> Perhaps Rich, as a Canadian, is unaware of the pejorative term "Daily
    > >> Mail reader" which is used to describe people who read that UK tabloid
    > >> newspaper - or who frequent its web site - and respond with extreme
    > >> outrage, joy, anger, depression, disappointment, apoplexy, paranoia
    > >> ... [insert emotional response of choice here] ... when reading that
    > >> publication's sensationalist and often completely baseless articles.

    > > I hate Apple and the paranoid phonies who run it.

    > ...and Olympus, Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Panasonic, Samsung, Fuji, Leica,
    > Sigma, Microsoft, Chinese factories, Vietnamese factories, Mexican
    > restaurants, Iranian cab drivers, B&H, ...er all NYC vendors, because
    > of who they might be, Ford, The Canadian government, the poor, anybody
    > who disagrees with him, British police, (we don't know how he feels
    > about the RCMP and lumberjacks), Obama, anybody who does not live in
    > his neighborhood, and PLASTIC!

    Don't forget: Kodak and Indian spammers have been on Rich's "hate
    parade," as well.

    (Can't logically blame him, for cursing Sigma...as too many >other<
    people abhor that specific outfit, too.)

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Feb 28, 2011
  15. RichA

    John Turco Guest

    Bowser wrote:

    > On 1/22/2011 4:25 AM, Mike wrote:
    > > On 22/01/2011 09:06, John A. wrote:

    > >> Meh. A quick google shopping search gives at least a couple sources
    > >> appropriate screwdrivers for only $6 or so.

    > > It is annoying when manufacturers deliberately choose to use fixings
    > > that you haven't got a tool for and you have to hunt around ebay to
    > > find. Not to mention will only get used once.

    > For me it's very entertaining that the manufacturers actually think that
    > changing the screws will keep people out. This delusional behavior is
    > typical, though.

    It probably >does< discourage the average end user, though.

    > > If I've bought one of their overpriced products surely I'm entitled to
    > > open it up at my own risk.

    > Do what I do: don't buy them.

    I don't, either.

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Feb 28, 2011
  16. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 2/27/2011 9:14 PM, John Turco wrote:
    > Savageduck wrote:

    >>> uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160534819392

    >>> I hate Apple and the paranoid phonies who run it.

    >> ...and Olympus, Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Panasonic, Samsung, Fuji, Leica,
    >> Sigma, Microsoft, Chinese factories, Vietnamese factories, Mexican
    >> restaurants, Iranian cab drivers, B&H, ...er all NYC vendors, because
    >> of who they might be, Ford, The Canadian government, the poor, anybody
    >> who disagrees with him, British police, (we don't know how he feels
    >> about the RCMP and lumberjacks), Obama, anybody who does not live in
    >> his neighborhood, and PLASTIC!

    > Don't forget: Kodak and Indian spammers have been on Rich's "hate
    > parade," as well.
    >
    > (Can't logically blame him, for cursing Sigma...as too many>other<
    > people abhor that specific outfit, too.)

    Well John,

    First and foremost, how is your sister doing?

    I am one who has no time for hate. However, for reasons previously
    stated I will not buy any Sigma products, unless I am satisfied that
    there have been major improvements in quality control.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Mar 2, 2011
  17. RichA

    John Turco Guest

    nospam wrote:

    > > > For me it's very entertaining that the manufacturers actually think that
    > > > changing the screws will keep people out. This delusional behavior is
    > > > typical, though.

    > > It probably >does< discourage the average end user, though.

    > the average end user isn't going to open their cellphone (or any other
    > product) they own. the few who really want to open up their devices can
    > buy the appropriate tools.
    >
    > i bet very few people have the proper tool to open a samsung or nokia
    > or whatever (those screws are *really* tiny, some with security pins).

    Well, on November 30, 2010, I'd disassembled my Norelco "4805XL" cordless/corded
    rotary shaver. [It was obtained secondhand ($1.98 USD), at a local thrift store,
    on March 3 of 2009.]

    As the 4805XL is an older model (having been introduced, a decade or so ago), its
    pair of Ni-Cd "AA" cells (OEM) were equally aged. They died suddenly and shortly
    thereafter, I supplanted them with a new set of Rayovac NiMH "pre-charged" ones.

    In any case (pun intended), I made an annoying discovery: The two halves of the
    4805XL's plastic body are held together, by 4 Torx (or Torx-type) screws. Luckily,
    a flat-tip jewelers screwdriver enabled me to remove (and replace) them, with no
    problems whatsover.

    Since then, the ancient 4805XL's "run time" has seemingly become limitless. Plus,
    with these Rayovac NiMH AA cells being of the low self-discharge variety, they
    don't need to be recharged as frequently.

    (Their actual "mAh" rating wasn't stated anywhere...even on the retail package.)

    ----

    Incidentally, nospam: In my newsreader (Netscape Communicator 4.8), my original
    post shows a date of "Sun, 27 Feb 2011 20:14:41 -0600" -- whereas, your reply is
    about 2 hours earlier ("Sun, 27 Feb 2011 18:20:13 -0500")!

    Is your computer clock off the mark, by any chance?

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Mar 4, 2011
  18. RichA

    John Turco Guest

    PeterN wrote:

> [...]

    <edited for brevity>

    > >> ...and Olympus, Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Panasonic, Samsung, Fuji, Leica,
    > >> Sigma, Microsoft, Chinese factories, Vietnamese factories, Mexican
    > >> restaurants, Iranian cab drivers, B&H, ...er all NYC vendors, because
    > >> of who they might be, Ford, The Canadian government, the poor, anybody
    > >> who disagrees with him, British police, (we don't know how he feels
    > >> about the RCMP and lumberjacks), Obama, anybody who does not live in
    > >> his neighborhood, and PLASTIC!

    > > Don't forget: Kodak and Indian spammers have been on Rich's "hate
    > > parade," as well.
    > >
    > > (Can't logically blame him, for cursing Sigma...as too many>other<
    > > people abhor that specific outfit, too.)

    > Well John,
    >
    > First and foremost, how is your sister doing?

    Rather poorly, sadly enough (thanks, for asking). Marie's eye disease
    ("keratoconus") recently took a back seat, to an even worse problem.

    She went to the hospital, after experiencing leg pain. There, it was
    discovered she has blood clots (one in a leg, and some in her lungs),
    which are potentially life-threatening.

    It seems her doctor (since dismissed) had misdiagnosed what the real
    cause was. An IV blood thinner is the present treatment, and appears
    to be working.

    Also, the first of seven genetic tests revealed that she has "lupus
    anticoagulant" (it's a predisposition for blood clots). The others
    will prove whether she's got "lupus erythmatosis" (the most common
    and serious form of lupus).

    (Marie has suffered various health issues, for nearly the past 30
    years.)

    > I am one who has no time for hate. However, for reasons previously
    > stated I will not buy any Sigma products, unless I am satisfied that
    > there have been major improvements in quality control.

    I feel the same way, about Philips. Except for the company's excellent
    "Norelco" rotary shavers, I'll always avoid its merchandise.

    Neither electronic items, nor computer products, are within Philips'
    "quality control" grasp, I believe.

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Mar 31, 2011
  19. RichA

    John Turco Guest

    George Kerby wrote:

    > > On 3/30/11 9:17 PM, in article , "John
    > > Turco" <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> PeterN wrote:

    <edited for brevity>

    > >> Well John,
    > >>
    > >> First and foremost, how is your sister doing?

    > > Rather poorly, sadly enough (thanks, for asking). Marie's eye disease
    > > ("keratoconus") recently took a back seat, to an even worse problem.
    > >
    > > She went to the hospital, after experiencing leg pain. There, it was
    > > discovered she has blood clots (one in a leg, and some in her lungs),
    > > which are potentially life-threatening.
    > >
    > > It seems her doctor (since dismissed) had misdiagnosed what the real
    > > cause was. An IV blood thinner is the present treatment, and appears
    > > to be working.
    > >
    > > Also, the first of seven genetic tests revealed that she has "lupus
    > > anticoagulant" (it's a predisposition for blood clots). The others
    > > will prove whether she's got "lupus erythmatosis" (the most common
    > > and serious form of lupus).
    > >
    > > (Marie has suffered various health issues, for nearly the past 30
    > > years.)

    > Sorry to hear that. Will keep her in thoughts and prayers.

    <edited>

    Thanks! Here's an update:

    Exploratory surgery found ovarian cancer (the real culprit behind
    thhose blood clots). A hysterectomy was performed and Marie has
    recently begun chemotherapy, with an excellent prognosis.

    My initial shock soon subsided. Her going to the hospital (for
    the clot symptoms) proved to be a blessing in disguise, as it
    were.

    She's home, now, and has finished with the blood-thinner shots
    ("Lovenox"). "Coumadin" tablets are still being taken, for her
    stubborn leg clot.

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Apr 28, 2011
  20. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 4/28/2011 8:43 AM, John Turco wrote:
    > George Kerby wrote:

    > <edited for brevity>

    >>> Rather poorly, sadly enough (thanks, for asking). Marie's eye disease
    >>> ("keratoconus") recently took a back seat, to an even worse problem.
    >>>
    >>> She went to the hospital, after experiencing leg pain. There, it was
    >>> discovered she has blood clots (one in a leg, and some in her lungs),
    >>> which are potentially life-threatening.
    >>>
    >>> It seems her doctor (since dismissed) had misdiagnosed what the real
    >>> cause was. An IV blood thinner is the present treatment, and appears
    >>> to be working.
    >>>
    >>> Also, the first of seven genetic tests revealed that she has "lupus
    >>> anticoagulant" (it's a predisposition for blood clots). The others
    >>> will prove whether she's got "lupus erythmatosis" (the most common
    >>> and serious form of lupus).
    >>>
    >>> (Marie has suffered various health issues, for nearly the past 30
    >>> years.)

    >> Sorry to hear that. Will keep her in thoughts and prayers.

    > <edited>
    >
    > Thanks! Here's an update:
    >
    > Exploratory surgery found ovarian cancer (the real culprit behind
    > thhose blood clots). A hysterectomy was performed and Marie has
    > recently begun chemotherapy, with an excellent prognosis.
    >
    > My initial shock soon subsided. Her going to the hospital (for
    > the clot symptoms) proved to be a blessing in disguise, as it
    > were.
    >
    > She's home, now, and has finished with the blood-thinner shots
    > ("Lovenox"). "Coumadin" tablets are still being taken, for her
    > stubborn leg clot.

    Truly sorry to hear that. I will keep her in my thoughts.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Apr 28, 2011