Apple: Laughing at the sheep

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rich, Jul 13, 2010.

  1. Rich

    Rich Guest

    1. Advertising

  2. Rich

    Rich Guest

    On Jul 13, 5:34 pm, Bowser <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 12:54:35 -0700 (PDT), Rich <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/mobile/07/13/iphone.4.duct.tape/index.ht...

    > If I hadn't seen this video on CR's web site, I'd have thought it was
    > a joke. Well, to be fair, there IS a joke here; the boneheads who line
    > up for anything preceded with an "i."

    The new model will be the iPhone DT a special model that includes a
    1/2" x 2" strip of duct tape, for only $25.00 over the cost of the
    current iPhone.

    Rich, Jul 14, 2010

  3. Rich

    SMS Guest

    On 13/07/10 7:30 PM, Rich wrote:

    > The new model will be the iPhone DT a special model that includes a
    > 1/2" x 2" strip of duct tape, for only $25.00 over the cost of the
    > current iPhone.

    I'm sure a bunch of manufacturers in China are gearing up production of
    1/2" x 2" pieces of duct tape and it will be available after-market for
    much less than $25.

    SMS, Jul 14, 2010
  4. Rich

    otter Guest

    On Jul 13, 4:34 pm, Bowser <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 12:54:35 -0700 (PDT), Rich <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/mobile/07/13/iphone.4.duct.tape/index.ht...

    > If I hadn't seen this video on CR's web site, I'd have thought it was
    > a joke. Well, to be fair, there IS a joke here; the boneheads who line
    > up for anything preceded with an "i."

    The funny thing is I happened to drop by the Apple Store in the Mall
    last weekend, and the place was a zoo. I've never seen a store so
    crowded.

    otter, Jul 14, 2010
  5. Rich

    Bruce Guest

    On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 20:49:51 -0700 (PDT), otter
    <> wrote:
    >On Jul 13, 4:34 pm, Bowser <> wrote:
    >> On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 12:54:35 -0700 (PDT), Rich <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/mobile/07/13/iphone.4.duct.tape/index.ht...

    >> If I hadn't seen this video on CR's web site, I'd have thought it was
    >> a joke. Well, to be fair, there IS a joke here; the boneheads who line
    >> up for anything preceded with an "i."

    >The funny thing is I happened to drop by the Apple Store in the Mall
    >last weekend, and the place was a zoo. I've never seen a store so
    >crowded.

    With sheep, presumably?

    I decided to replace my iPhone 3G, which is just out of contract, with
    a Dell Streak. So far, so good.

    And it plays Flash videos, beautifully. ;-)

    Bruce, Jul 14, 2010
  6. Rich

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Rich <> wrote:

    > http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/mobile/07/13/iphone.4.duct.tape/index.html?hpt=C2

    I don't have an iPhone 4, but there is an Apple Store five minutes from
    where I live. I stopped by there and I tried to get it to drop all the
    signal bars, but the signal strength remained steady. I tried it on
    several different display models. They all worked fine.

    Last Saturday, I had lunch with a friend who bought an iPhone 4 and she
    loves it. I tried getting the signal strength to drop on it too by
    holding it on the lower corners, but the signal strength remained strong.

    So I honestly don't see what the big deal is. I know a lot of people who
    have iPhones. They really are great. I have an iPhone 3GS and I love it.
    I think that all anyone who has this signal strength problem with an
    iPhone needs to do is put it in a case. There are so many reasons to
    keep any cell phone in a protective case anyway, especially those with a
    touch screen, that I honestly do not see what the big deal here is.

    Shawn Hirn, Jul 14, 2010
  7. Rich

    Bruce Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 08:01:13 -0400, Shawn Hirn <>
    wrote:

    >I don't have an iPhone 4, but there is an Apple Store five minutes from
    >where I live. I stopped by there and I tried to get it to drop all the
    >signal bars, but the signal strength remained steady. I tried it on
    >several different display models. They all worked fine.
    >
    >Last Saturday, I had lunch with a friend who bought an iPhone 4 and she
    >loves it. I tried getting the signal strength to drop on it too by
    >holding it on the lower corners, but the signal strength remained strong.

    You are obviously unaware of two faults; one is that any contact
    between your fingers and the aerial dramatically reduces signal
    strength, and the other is that the signal strength meter is faulty
    and shows a strong signal when in fact it is weak. In particular, it
    shows no sign of the reduction in signal strength when you touch the
    aerial.

    Both faults have officially been admitted by Apple, but so far there
    are no proposals from the company as to how either will be fixed.

    >So I honestly don't see what the big deal is.

    No, you don't appear to be able to see it at all. ;-)

    Bruce, Jul 14, 2010
  8. Rich

    otter Guest

    On Jul 14, 3:53 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 20:49:51 -0700 (PDT), otter
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > >On Jul 13, 4:34 pm, Bowser <> wrote:

    > >> If I hadn't seen this video on CR's web site, I'd have thought it was
    > >> a joke. Well, to be fair, there IS a joke here; the boneheads who line
    > >> up for anything preceded with an "i."

    > >The funny thing is I happened to drop by the Apple Store in the Mall
    > >last weekend, and the place was a zoo.  I've never seen a store so
    > >crowded.

    > With sheep, presumably?

    I worked on a sheep ranch when I was a kid. Sheep are pretty laid-
    back. These were more like monkeys. The atmosphere was frenetic.
    The last time I recall seeing this much excitement in a computer store
    was when the original macs came out.

    > I decided to replace my iPhone 3G, which is just out of contract, with
    > a Dell Streak.  So far, so good.
    >
    > And it plays Flash videos, beautifully.  ;-)

    I don't own any apple products now. I went down that road for a
    while, but finally got fed up with paying twice as much for every
    little thing, compatibility issues, and lack of software.

    Still, that is a snazzy little phone, even with the duct tape.

    otter, Jul 14, 2010
  9. Rich

    otter Guest

    On Jul 14, 9:48 am, George Kerby <> wrote:
    > On 7/14/10 9:39 AM, in article
    > , "otter"
    >

    > <> wrote:
    > > On Jul 14, 3:53 am, Bruce <> wrote:

    > >> With sheep, presumably?

    > > I worked on a sheep ranch when I was a kid.  Sheep are pretty laid-
    > > back.  These were more like monkeys.  The atmosphere was frenetic.
    > > The last time I recall seeing this much excitement in a computer store
    > > was when the original macs came out.

    > >> I decided to replace my iPhone 3G, which is just out of contract, with
    > >> a Dell Streak.  So far, so good.

    > >> And it plays Flash videos, beautifully.  ;-)

    > > I don't own any apple products now.  I went down that road for a
    > > while, but finally got fed up with paying twice as much for every
    > > little thing, compatibility issues, and lack of software.

    > Your loss. "Once you go Mac, you never go back".
    >
    > ;-)

    That's interesting, because I did go Mac for awhile.

    However, I may try it again some time. Not completely ruling it out.

    otter, Jul 14, 2010
  10. Rich

    Peter Guest

    "otter" <> wrote in message
    On Jul 14, 9:48 am, George Kerby <> wrote:
    > On 7/14/10 9:39 AM, in article
    > , "otter"

    > > I don't own any apple products now. I went down that road for a
    > > while, but finally got fed up with paying twice as much for every
    > > little thing, compatibility issues, and lack of software.

    > Your loss. "Once you go Mac, you never go back".
    >
    > ;-)

    >That's interesting, because I did go Mac for awhile. However, I may try it
    >again some time. Not > completely ruling it out.

    I have used Photoshop and Corel on both the Mac and PC without noticing any
    significant difference.
    The graphics shops I know seem to prefer Mac, though that may be because of
    familiarity.

    I use the PC because it has more of the programs I use and I also need a
    minimal futz factor when exchanging files. Although my new i7 machine beats
    anything I have previously used, I am confident that the new Macs also have
    the speed.

    You are correct though lower operating costs on a PC.
    And Yes I know about compatibility.

    --
    Peter

    Peter, Jul 14, 2010
  11. Rich

    tony cooper Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 11:09:02 -0400, "Peter"
    <> wrote:

    >"otter" <> wrote in message
    >On Jul 14, 9:48 am, George Kerby <> wrote:
    >> On 7/14/10 9:39 AM, in article
    >> , "otter"

    >> > I don't own any apple products now. I went down that road for a
    >> > while, but finally got fed up with paying twice as much for every
    >> > little thing, compatibility issues, and lack of software.

    >> Your loss. "Once you go Mac, you never go back".
    >>
    >> ;-)

    >>That's interesting, because I did go Mac for awhile. However, I may try it
    >>again some time. Not > completely ruling it out.

    >I have used Photoshop and Corel on both the Mac and PC without noticing any
    >significant difference.
    >The graphics shops I know seem to prefer Mac, though that may be because of
    >familiarity.

    All of the schools around here that teach graphics use Macs, so the
    graduates of those schools tend to buy Macs for personal use because
    they are accustomed to them. Apple must have made some sweet deals
    with the schools when the programs started. Good business move.

    I took one course in Photoshop (old photo restoration) and was the
    slowest person in the class. The instructor was a short-cut fanatic
    and all lessons involved Mac short-cuts. I knew PC short-cuts and
    instinctively tried to use them.

    I saw no particular advantage to the Mac I used in class compared to
    my home PC. Just different.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jul 14, 2010
  12. Rich

    whisky-dave Guest

    "Peter" <> wrote in message
    > "otter" <> wrote in message
    > On Jul 14, 9:48 am, George Kerby <> wrote:
    >> On 7/14/10 9:39 AM, in article
    >> ,
    >> "otter"

    >> > I don't own any apple products now. I went down that road for a
    >> > while, but finally got fed up with paying twice as much for every
    >> > little thing, compatibility issues, and lack of software.

    >> Your loss. "Once you go Mac, you never go back".
    >>
    >> ;-)

    >>That's interesting, because I did go Mac for awhile. However, I may try it
    >>again some time. Not > completely ruling it out.

    > I have used Photoshop and Corel on both the Mac and PC without noticing
    > any significant difference.
    > The graphics shops I know seem to prefer Mac, though that may be because
    > of familiarity.

    Or just less hassle, how many Mac owners spend a significant time
    re-installing the OS every so often. Then there's viruses.
    Most of the people I know use macs because they work better than PCs
    or they have in the past.Macs also seem easier for most to understand.

    > I use the PC because it has more of the programs I use and I also need a
    > minimal futz factor when exchanging files. Although my new i7 machine
    > beats anything I have previously used, I am confident that the new Macs
    > also have the speed.
    >
    > You are correct though lower operating costs on a PC.
    > And Yes I know about compatibility.

    I'm not to sure about the lower operating costs, it might seem that way on
    the surface and it depends how compedent you are at solving problems.

    whisky-dave, Jul 14, 2010
  13. Rich

    Peter Guest

    "tony cooper" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 11:09:02 -0400, "Peter"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>"otter" <> wrote in message
    >>On Jul 14, 9:48 am, George Kerby <> wrote:
    >>> On 7/14/10 9:39 AM, in article
    >>> ,
    >>> "otter"

    >>> Your loss. "Once you go Mac, you never go back".
    >>>
    >>> ;-)

    >>>That's interesting, because I did go Mac for awhile. However, I may try
    >>>it
    >>>again some time. Not > completely ruling it out.

    >>I have used Photoshop and Corel on both the Mac and PC without noticing
    >>any
    >>significant difference.
    >>The graphics shops I know seem to prefer Mac, though that may be because
    >>of
    >>familiarity.

    > All of the schools around here that teach graphics use Macs, so the
    > graduates of those schools tend to buy Macs for personal use because
    > they are accustomed to them. Apple must have made some sweet deals
    > with the schools when the programs started. Good business move.
    >
    > I took one course in Photoshop (old photo restoration) and was the
    > slowest person in the class. The instructor was a short-cut fanatic
    > and all lessons involved Mac short-cuts. I knew PC short-cuts and
    > instinctively tried to use them.
    >
    > I saw no particular advantage to the Mac I used in class compared to
    > my home PC. Just different.

    Can we fairly say that this shows that the saying: "familiarity breeds
    contempt," doesn't always apply. :)

    --
    Peter

    Peter, Jul 14, 2010
  14. Rich

    whisky-dave Guest

    > On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 11:09:02 -0400, "Peter"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>"otter" <> wrote in message
    >>On Jul 14, 9:48 am, George Kerby <> wrote:
    >>> On 7/14/10 9:39 AM, in article
    >>> ,
    >>> "otter"

    >>> Your loss. "Once you go Mac, you never go back".
    >>>
    >>> ;-)

    >>>That's interesting, because I did go Mac for awhile. However, I may try
    >>>it
    >>>again some time. Not > completely ruling it out.

    >>I have used Photoshop and Corel on both the Mac and PC without noticing
    >>any
    >>significant difference.
    >>The graphics shops I know seem to prefer Mac, though that may be because
    >>of
    >>familiarity.

    > All of the schools around here that teach graphics use Macs, so the
    > graduates of those schools tend to buy Macs for personal use because
    > they are accustomed to them. Apple must have made some sweet deals
    > with the schools when the programs started. Good business move.

    I wonder if tehy did, I bet most don;t get any special deals other than the
    educational discount which isn';t a great deal maybe 10% so it's not like
    they give them away.
    But they do a good deal on Applecare for education.

    > I took one course in Photoshop (old photo restoration) and was the
    > slowest person in the class. The instructor was a short-cut fanatic
    > and all lessons involved Mac short-cuts. I knew PC short-cuts and
    > instinctively tried to use them.

    Even after over 20 years of using both the ctrl and command key swaps still
    piss me off, but I'll survive.

    My dad failed to learn to edit his photos on a Mac as his 'instructor'
    couldn't find or create the short-cuts !!!!!!

    > I saw no particular advantage to the Mac I used in class compared to
    > my home PC. Just different.

    There shouldn't be really, but I've found the OS of Macs to be much more
    stable and nice to use. I started off with a BBC micro and a unix system and
    the first computer I used was a PET.

    whisky-dave, Jul 14, 2010
  15. Rich

    Peter Guest

    "George Kerby" <> wrote in message

    > On 7/14/10 10:09 AM, in article
    > 4c3dd3ac$0$5549$-secrets.com, "Peter"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> "otter" <> wrote in message
    >> On Jul 14, 9:48 am, George Kerby <> wrote:
    >>> On 7/14/10 9:39 AM, in article
    >>> ,
    >>> "otter"

    >>> Your loss. "Once you go Mac, you never go back".
    >>>
    >>> ;-)

    >>> That's interesting, because I did go Mac for awhile. However, I may try
    >>> it
    >>> again some time. Not > completely ruling it out.

    >> I have used Photoshop and Corel on both the Mac and PC without noticing
    >> any
    >> significant difference.
    >> The graphics shops I know seem to prefer Mac, though that may be because
    >> of
    >> familiarity.
    >>
    >> I use the PC because it has more of the programs I use and I also need a
    >> minimal futz factor when exchanging files. Although my new i7 machine
    >> beats
    >> anything I have previously used, I am confident that the new Macs also
    >> have
    >> the speed.
    >>
    >> You are correct though lower operating costs on a PC.
    >> And Yes I know about compatibility.
    >>

    > There IS a reason that AAPL has shot through the roof and it is known as
    > 'Customer Satisfaction'. Meanwhile, MSFT and other PC makers shares have
    > languished.
    >
    > Graphic pros, videographers and pro photographers use Mac because of ease
    > of
    > use and 'user friendliness'. Twenty-five years ago Mac LaserWriter put
    > Page
    > Layout in the hands of those who previously had to rely on expensive
    > Typography services. A program, "Digital Darkroom" was on the Mac before
    > Aldus brought out Photoshop, so pro photographers naturally leaned that
    > way.
    > And Final Cut Pro is the chosen tool over Premiere by Video pros.
    >
    > The initial cost may be more, but time is money and when all is
    > considered,
    > including the packaged software, the Mac is the choice of most
    > professionals.

    For the reasons stated above and since I am not a professional and don't use
    Final Cut, or any other video editing program, I will stick with PC.

    Obviously you are a professional and should do whatever makes you feel
    better.
    --
    Peter

    Peter, Jul 14, 2010
  16. Rich

    Rich Guest

    On Jul 13, 11:00 pm, SMS <> wrote:
    > On 13/07/10 7:30 PM, Rich wrote:
    >
    > > The new model will be the iPhone DT a special model that includes a
    > > 1/2" x 2" strip of duct tape, for only $25.00 over the cost of the
    > > current iPhone.

    > I'm sure a bunch of manufacturers in China are gearing up production of
    > 1/2" x 2" pieces of duct tape and it will be available after-market for
    > much less than $25.

    Seriously, Apple should simply provide a piece of opaque or clear
    tape, with a good acrylic or silicone adhesive. Once applied, it will
    stay put forever.

    Rich, Jul 14, 2010
  17. Rich

    Peter Guest

    "Allen" <> wrote in message

    > <snip>

    > The main difference between people and sheep is that humans are divided
    > into two groups: PC users and Apple users.
    > Allen

    What about Linux & Solaris?
    And then there are the Linux distributions. You think Canon v Nikon gets
    abusive?

    --
    Peter

    Peter, Jul 14, 2010
  18. Rich

    tony cooper Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 10:40:51 -0500, George Kerby
    <> wrote:

    >Graphic pros, videographers and pro photographers use Mac because of ease of
    >use and 'user friendliness'. Twenty-five years ago Mac LaserWriter put Page
    >Layout in the hands of those who previously had to rely on expensive
    >Typography services. A program, "Digital Darkroom" was on the Mac before
    >Aldus brought out Photoshop, so pro photographers naturally leaned that way.
    >And Final Cut Pro is the chosen tool over Premiere by Video pros.

    That's a popular theory, but it seems to imply a choice made after
    evaluating two alternatives. I don't think it works like that.

    Unless you are completely self-taught and have always worked alone,
    you've been taught on a particular system and/or have used a
    work-provided computer. When you buy your own system you will most
    likely buy that same brand.

    That means that whatever is used in the schools, or in the shops that
    started as the field emerged is the type that will get the most use by
    the profession.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jul 14, 2010
  19. Rich

    otter Guest

    On Jul 14, 2:16 pm, Allen <> wrote:
    > otter wrote:
    >
    > <snip>> I worked on a sheep ranch when I was a kid.  Sheep are pretty laid-
    > > back.  These were more like monkeys.  The atmosphere was frenetic.
    > > The last time I recall seeing this much excitement in a computer store
    > > was when the original macs came out.

    > <snip>
    > My father was a part-time sheep rancher, so I was around a lot of sheep
    > in my very much younger days. One thing I can say is that they are the
    > ultimate herd animals: they will follow their leader, no matter what. I
    > especially remember a story in the newspapers in about 1957 from the
    > sheep-raising country in France. The lead sheep walked over the edge of
    > a tall cliff and the entire herd followed, resulting in 2,200 dead
    > sheep. The truckers and shearers who move a lot of sheep use Judas goats
    > to lead them wherever they need them to go. The main difference between
    > people and sheep is that humans are divided into two groups: PC users
    > and Apple users.
    > Allen

    I don't remember the follow-the-leader thing with sheep so much.
    Seemed like there were always some that wanted to go their own way.
    But that's why we had sheep dogs. Watching a good sheep dog work is a
    thing of beauty.

    We had a fair number of Basque sheep herders in northern Colorado
    where I was at. Maybe they were from close to the same area in
    France?

    The one thing that sticks in my mind is what we used to do in the
    Spring to young male lambs using rubber bands.

    otter, Jul 14, 2010
  20. Rich

    Bruce Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 14:16:03 -0500, Allen <>
    wrote:

    > The main difference between people and sheep is that humans
    > are divided into two groups: PC users and Apple users.

    Surely you meant "Nikon users and Canon users"?

    Bruce, Jul 14, 2010