    work on a non-Apple PC? And just out of interest, if it won't work, why not?
    I liked the clear mouse too, but have seen a few posts regarding buttons
    not working correctly with a PC, is this the case? Thanks.

    aleX, Jun 17, 2005

  2. aleX

    cjackson05 Guest

    Mac's and PC i.e Windows do not mix. The components are different MAC is considered a Linux/Red Hat programming which does not require a true operating system to function so therefore using MAC products also with totally different drivers are not compatible.

    All you would get are ERROR messages. Driver reloads -- dll, cab, ini, exe files would be scrambled under a MAC code v. WINDOWS code programming. Don't mix the peanut butter & Jelly before getting the bread.
    "aleX" <> wrote in message news:d8tblu$n8n$...
    I was looking at Apple keyboards today in a shop, nice looking, and
    selling for £20. The box made no mention of it working on a PC though,
    saying only 'requires Mac computer'. Has anyone got this USB keyboard to

    cjackson05, Jun 17, 2005

  3. aleX

    aleX Guest

    cjackson05 wrote:
    > Mac's and PC i.e Windows do not mix. The components are different MAC
    > is considered a Linux/Red Hat programming which does not require a true
    > operating system to function so therefore using MAC products also with
    > totally different drivers are not compatible.

    Thanks for the reply. Windows is out then, but could I use the Mac
    keyboard with my Linux PC's (Debian, Slackware)?

    I didn't think there was much to a keyboard, just codes for the
    different characters sent out. Not arguing, just wonder why Apple
    wouldn't build in compatibility - they could sell quite a few I'd imagine.

    aleX, Jun 17, 2005
  4. aleX

    Guest

    On aleX <> wrote:

    |>I was looking at Apple keyboards today in a shop, nice looking, and
    |>selling for £20. The box made no mention of it working on a PC though,
    |>saying only 'requires Mac computer'. Has anyone got this USB keyboard to
    |>work on a non-Apple PC? And just out of interest, if it won't work, why not?
    |>I liked the clear mouse too, but have seen a few posts regarding buttons
    |>not working correctly with a PC, is this the case? Thanks.

    The PC keyboard has a chip in it that the system uses to correct a
    memory error. Google: A20 gate

    It might not be used now but ??

    --

    , Jun 17, 2005
  5. aleX

    aleX Guest

    wrote:
    > On aleX <> wrote:
    >
    > |>I was looking at Apple keyboards today in a shop, nice looking, and
    > |>selling for £20. The box made no mention of it working on a PC though,
    > |>saying only 'requires Mac computer'. Has anyone got this USB keyboard to
    > |>work on a non-Apple PC? And just out of interest, if it won't work, why not?
    > |>I liked the clear mouse too, but have seen a few posts regarding buttons
    > |>not working correctly with a PC, is this the case? Thanks.
    >
    > The PC keyboard has a chip in it that the system uses to correct a
    > memory error. Google: A20 gate
    >
    > It might not be used now but ??

    I'm reading differing reports - some say the keyboards work with
    Windows, others say they don't. Same goes for the optical mouse.
    There are several different keyboards mentioned though, I didn't take
    note of the model number I saw for sale.

    http://www.computing.net/mac/wwwboard/forum/2329.html

    I might chance it sometime and see if it works or not :)

    aleX, Jun 17, 2005
  6. aleX

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Mine does.

    pcbutts1, Jun 17, 2005
  7. aleX

    Gary Guest

    Actually, a Mac USB keyboard works just fine on a PC. I work for a
    school district which uses both systems, and I regularly need to do a
    contest scoring and use PC's for the scoring but like to use full sized
    keyboards. We have Mac keyboards out the wazoo so I use them. Usually
    feel better than the cheap pc keyboards anyway.

    Gary, Jun 17, 2005
  8. aleX

    aleX Guest

    Gary wrote:
    > Actually, a Mac USB keyboard works just fine on a PC. I work for a
    > school district which uses both systems, and I regularly need to do a
    > contest scoring and use PC's for the scoring but like to use full sized
    > keyboards. We have Mac keyboards out the wazoo so I use them. Usually
    > feel better than the cheap pc keyboards anyway.

    Thanks, I'll probably get one next time I visit the shop, I'll take the
    chance as they didn't cost much more than a cheap PC keyboard.

    aleX, Jun 18, 2005
  9. aleX

    J.R. Guest

    Out of interest do you know if the Mac Wireless Keyboard works on a PC?

    Cheers
    JR

    J.R., Jun 18, 2005
  10. aleX

    Gary Guest

    J.R. wrote:

    > Out of interest do you know if the Mac Wireless Keyboard works on a PC?

    Now I have no idea about that. I'd guess no. You could always try. I
    suspect they are on a different frequency becasue I would not expect
    standardization between the two platforms.

    Gary, Jun 18, 2005
  11. aleX

    Keme Guest

    aleX wrote:
    > I was looking at Apple keyboards today in a shop, nice looking, and
    > selling for £20. The box made no mention of it working on a PC though,
    > saying only 'requires Mac computer'. Has anyone got this USB keyboard to
    > work on a non-Apple PC? And just out of interest, if it won't work, why
    > not?
    > I liked the clear mouse too, but have seen a few posts regarding buttons
    > not working correctly with a PC, is this the case? Thanks.

    As already stated, the Mac keyboard is good quality and works OK with a
    PC. Some differences in keyboard layout leads to unpredictable results
    regarding special keys (like command and alt keys on apple, and
    AltGr/windows/menu keys for windows)

    The mouse doesn't have buttons. The entire mouse is a button. That means
    you need an alternative for right clicking (just one "button"). My
    personal view is that you need a resting area for the palm on the mouse.
    On the apple mouse you don't have that.

    Keme, Jun 21, 2005
  12. aleX

    aleX Guest

    Keme wrote:

    > As already stated, the Mac keyboard is good quality and works OK with a
    > PC. Some differences in keyboard layout leads to unpredictable results
    > regarding special keys (like command and alt keys on apple, and
    > AltGr/windows/menu keys for windows)
    >
    > The mouse doesn't have buttons. The entire mouse is a button. That means
    > you need an alternative for right clicking (just one "button"). My
    > personal view is that you need a resting area for the palm on the mouse.
    > On the apple mouse you don't have that.

    Thanks for the reply.

    I also have a 4 port kvm with ps/2 input/output.
    I wonder if I could use an Apple keyboard (usb I presume) plus use a
    usb->ps/2 adaptor and still use the kvm?

    Maybe this is just something i'll have to try out, the adaptor might
    come in handy sometime anyway.

    aleX, Jun 21, 2005
  13. On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 20:33:46 -0700, wrote:

    >On aleX <> wrote:
    >
    >|>I was looking at Apple keyboards today in a shop, nice looking, and
    >|>selling for £20. The box made no mention of it working on a PC though,
    >|>saying only 'requires Mac computer'. Has anyone got this USB keyboard to
    >|>work on a non-Apple PC? And just out of interest, if it won't work, why not?
    >|>I liked the clear mouse too, but have seen a few posts regarding buttons
    >|>not working correctly with a PC, is this the case? Thanks.
    >
    >The PC keyboard has a chip in it that the system uses to correct a
    >memory error. Google: A20 gate
    >
    >It might not be used now but ??

    Reading the replies to this subjects lets me see there are a lot of
    people that seem to think they know a lot about PC's and Macs, but
    haven't a clue about either.

    1> A large majority of Macintosh parts are identical to PC Parts,
    especially USB parts. Just about all Macintosh Video cards will run
    as is in a PC, I've never tried a USB Keyboard, if my iBook was
    working, I'd try my IBM USB keyboard on it and see, but all I can say
    is there stands a good chance that it would work, just not 100% sure
    since I never tried it.

    As far as the "Keyboards having a chip in them" Yes and know, all
    keyboards, MAC or PC have a chip inside them. a SERIAL chip to
    transmit the data. The "A20" gate referring to has absolutely nothing
    to do with the keyboard, that chip is located on the motherboard and
    is the Keyboard BIOS chip, which decodes signals from the PS/2
    keyboard port. USB Keyboards get read in via USB Port and the system
    BIOS will then translate it to PS/2 compatible code if the BIOS is
    configured for Legacy support. The A20 gate refers to masking off
    bits 20-24 of the 80286 CPU, enabling the A20 Gate enables the memory
    above 640k and below 1meg. It has nothing to do with a memory error,
    bug, etc. it has all to do with compatibility with the IBM PC/XT and
    IBM PC.

    John H. Guillory, Jun 23, 2005
  14. On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 06:20:34 -0500, Gary <> wrote:

    >J.R. wrote:
    >
    >> Out of interest do you know if the Mac Wireless Keyboard works on a PC?
    >>

    >Now I have no idea about that. I'd guess no. You could always try. I
    >suspect they are on a different frequency becasue I would not expect
    >standardization between the two platforms.

    Unless your talking about a BlueTooth or a IrDa style keyboard, the
    fact that its wireless makes no difference in compatibility. What
    makes more difference is the features of the keyboard and the set of
    codes it uses. From reading, I'd say your basic keyboard will work,
    while multimedia keyboards may or may not work and if you get any
    specialiazed keys (like those little jog wheels for editing movies, or
    sliders for musicians, etc....) will most likely not work as it'd
    require a specialized driver file for windows, which would obviously
    never get written....

    John H. Guillory, Jun 23, 2005
  15. aleX

    Gray Ghost Guest

    Furthermore, it might be added that you can even use the Apple Wireless
    Bluetooth keyboard with you PC too :-D If you have a bluetooth adapter
    of course. And might I add that it's "sah-weet" :-D

    Cheers,
    -gg-

    your ghost with the most...

    Gray Ghost, Jun 23, 2005
  16. aleX

    Guest

    , Jun 23, 2005
  17. On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 17:40:53 -0700, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    wrote:

    >On John H. Guillory <> wrote:
    >
    >|>As far as the "Keyboards having a chip in them" Yes and know, all
    >|>keyboards, MAC or PC have a chip inside them. a SERIAL chip to
    >|>transmit the data. The "A20" gate referring to has absolutely nothing
    >|>to do with the keyboard,
    >
    >SIgh... http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/kbd/A20.html
    >"Classical A20 control, via the keyboard controller"

    What a Jackass, doesn't even read what he quotes.... Hasn't got the
    foggiest clue what he's posting. Have you ever seen the keyboard
    controller chip they are referring to? Have you ever programmed the
    A20 Line via assembly language? If you have, you would know you can
    program the A20 without even having a keyboard plugged into the
    computer, because as I said before, the Keyboard controller chip is
    located on the motherboard of the computer, usually near the keyboard
    plug, close to the AGP slot. Your liable to be one of those people
    that goe around quoting part of scriptures saying the worlds going to
    end and we're all going to hell, just because you didn't read the
    whole thing.... And when people show you the remaining part of the
    scripture you refuse to look at the Bible and just believe what you
    want to believe. Reread the text on the web page and see if it says
    the A20 chip is inside the keyboard.... Use a little common sense, if
    it was, you wouldn't be able to run a lot of software with a USB
    keyboard!

    John H. Guillory, Jun 24, 2005