    Was there a battery issue for Ipods?

    It was bought new in Singapore (bummer) at the end of January '05.

    PAM.

    PAM., Jun 23, 2005

  2. PAM.

    jedmeister Guest

    "PAM." <> wrote in message
    news:%Amue.9575$...
    > The battery life in my iPod has just dropped dramatically. 2 days ago it
    > was
    > fine. I could listen throughout the day. Yesterday I noticed that it was a
    > tad low and thought that I didn't charge it fully so last night I made
    > sure
    > it was fully charged. This morning, it's lasted 4 hours so far and almost
    > dead.
    > Does anyone know who I should contact?
    > Has anyone else experienced this issue?
    > Any ideas on what's wrong?
    > Was there a battery issue for Ipods?
    >
    > It was bought new in Singapore (bummer) at the end of January '05.
    >
    > PAM.

    There are battery issues for ipods...ie, only the manufacturer can change
    the battery.

    I thought it was more the earlier ipods that had dodgy battery life.

    You are just unlucky, did you have an international warranty? If so, is the
    battery still in warranty, generally they have shorter periods.

    jedmeister, Jun 23, 2005

  3. PAM.

    Peter Grooby Guest

    > There are battery issues for ipods...ie, only the manufacturer can change
    > the battery.

    It is possible for regular schmoes to change the battery, but it isn't
    trivial. Do a web search. There is alot of information out there on it.

    Pete

    Remove pants from email address to reply.

    Peter Grooby, Jun 23, 2005
  4. PAM.

    PAM. Guest

    "Peter Grooby" <> wrote in message

    > It is possible for regular schmoes to change the battery, but it isn't
    > trivial. Do a web search. There is alot of information out there on it.

    Cheers guys

    PAM.

    PAM., Jun 23, 2005
  5. PAM.

    Richard Guest

    PAM. wrote:
    > The battery life in my iPod has just dropped dramatically. 2 days ago it was
    > fine. I could listen throughout the day. Yesterday I noticed that it was a
    > tad low and thought that I didn't charge it fully so last night I made sure
    > it was fully charged. This morning, it's lasted 4 hours so far and almost
    > dead.
    > Does anyone know who I should contact?
    > Has anyone else experienced this issue?
    > Any ideas on what's wrong?
    > Was there a battery issue for Ipods?
    >
    > It was bought new in Singapore (bummer) at the end of January '05.

    In some cases my friends one did that, it needed a total reset to get the
    battery life back to what it should be.

    Richard, Jun 23, 2005
  6. PAM.

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <%Xmue.9583$>,
    "jedmeister" <> wrote:

    > I thought it was more the earlier ipods that had dodgy battery life.

    As far as I'm aware (and I own a two year old one that still works fine)
    there are no problems with iPod batteries that they don't share with
    everything else in this world that uses rechargable batteries: cell
    phones, laptop computers, you name it....

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-

    Bruce Hoult, Jun 23, 2005
  7. PAM.

    PAM. Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message

    > In some cases my friends one did that, it needed a total reset to get the
    > battery life back to what it should be.

    Did a reset as according to Apple Web site
    lock on | Lock off | Menu/Select for 10 secs.

    Nothing.

    I'll check it out more later

    PAM.

    PAM., Jun 23, 2005
  8. PAM.

    PAM. Guest

    "Bruce Hoult" <> wrote in message

    > As far as I'm aware (and I own a two year old one that still works fine)
    > there are no problems with iPod batteries that they don't share with
    > everything else in this world that uses rechargable batteries: cell
    > phones, laptop computers, you name it....

    Yes. I do use mine for 6 hours on average and have done for 3 months solid.
    However it says 400 charges and I'm nowhere near that yet.

    PAM.

    PAM., Jun 23, 2005
  9. jedmeister wrote:

    > You are just unlucky, did you have an international warranty? If so, is the
    > battery still in warranty, generally they have shorter periods.

    AFAIK all Apple portable products have an international warranty.

    I'm a Trampoline, Jun 23, 2005
  10. PAM.

    James West Guest

    > In article <%Xmue.9583$>,
    > "jedmeister" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I thought it was more the earlier ipods that had dodgy battery life.

    > As far as I'm aware (and I own a two year old one that still works fine)
    > there are no problems with iPod batteries that they don't share with
    > everything else in this world that uses rechargable batteries: cell
    > phones, laptop computers, you name it....

    not seen the class action suit that Apple lost then?

    had to give $50US to each Ipod user to settle

    James

    James West, Jun 23, 2005
  11. PAM.

    ~misfit~ Guest

    James West wrote:
    > "Bruce Hoult" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <%Xmue.9583$>,
    >> "jedmeister" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I thought it was more the earlier ipods that had dodgy battery life.

    >> As far as I'm aware (and I own a two year old one that still works
    >> fine) there are no problems with iPod batteries that they don't
    >> share with everything else in this world that uses rechargable
    >> batteries: cell phones, laptop computers, you name it....

    > not seen the class action suit that Apple lost then?
    >
    > had to give $50US to each Ipod user to settle

    It's actually still not fully resolved, and it isn't "$50US", it's a credit
    note for Apple products for $50US. Also, it only covers iPod's bought before
    June '04.

    Read all about it:

    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/06/02/tech/main699324.shtml
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jun 24, 2005
  12. PAM.

    Tom Parker Guest

    PAM. <> wrote:

    >The battery life in my iPod has just dropped dramatically. 2 days ago it was
    >fine. I could listen throughout the day. Yesterday I noticed that it was a
    >tad low and thought that I didn't charge it fully so last night I made sure
    >it was fully charged. This morning, it's lasted 4 hours so far and almost
    >dead.

    "almost dead", how much longer did it last, as the battery indicator gone
    screwy, or is it really having trouble?

    >Does anyone know who I should contact?
    >Has anyone else experienced this issue?
    >Any ideas on what's wrong?

    My Gen 2 ipod from 2002 got into a state recently where the hard drive did not
    spin down. Everything else was normal. This would reduce the battery life to
    less than an hour. I reset it (hold down play/pause and menu buttons for about
    5 seconds) and it came right. I believe you cannot hold down both buttons
    on the the latest click wheel ipod, so they'll have another way.

    You said you reset it, did it reboot? If not, then try again.

    >Was there a battery issue for Ipods?

    >It was bought new in Singapore (bummer) at the end of January '05.

    Have you got the recept? They ought to honour it if you do.

    --
    Tom Parker -
    - http://www.carrott.org

    Tom Parker, Jun 28, 2005
  13. PAM.

    PAM. Guest

    "Tom Parker" <> wrote in message

    > "almost dead", how much longer did it last, as the battery indicator gone
    > screwy, or is it really having trouble?

    It seemed to last much of the day on what looked like very low power. I have
    yet to test it out for a long tim to see when it drains fully. I'll try that
    today as I listen to Yngwie :)

    > My Gen 2 ipod from 2002 got into a state recently where the hard drive did

    not
    > spin down. Everything else was normal. This would reduce the battery life

    > less than an hour. I reset it (hold down play/pause and menu buttons for

    about
    > 5 seconds) and it came right. I believe you cannot hold down both buttons
    > on the the latest click wheel ipod, so they'll have another way.

    You can hold them both down on the newer gen (4th?)

    > You said you reset it, did it reboot? If not, then try again.

    It did reboot.

    > Have you got the recept? They ought to honour it if you do.

    Nope. Nothing. With regard to warranty, I'm stuffed. I would expect to pay
    for a replacement battery but I'll have to wait and see before forking out a
    fortune to replace it.

    PAM.

    PAM., Jun 28, 2005
  14. PAM.

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <y4jwe.10990$>,
    "PAM." <> wrote:

    > "Tom Parker" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > "almost dead", how much longer did it last, as the battery indicator gone
    > > screwy, or is it really having trouble?

    > It seemed to last much of the day on what looked like very low power. I have
    > yet to test it out for a long tim to see when it drains fully. I'll try that
    > today as I listen to Yngwie :)

    Note that in cold weather the battery may show a very low charge when
    it's actually full or nearly full. If the battery gets warmer (for
    example, by using it) then the charge remaining will appear to go up.

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-

    Bruce Hoult, Jun 30, 2005
  15. In article <>,
    "Tom Parker" <> wrote:

    > I believe you cannot hold down both buttons
    > on the the latest click wheel ipod, so they'll have another way.

    ClickWheel models: press the Menu button and center Select button for up
    to 10 secs, until the Apple logo appears. It may be necessary to lay the
    iPod on a flat surface and press the Select button without touching the
    Clickwheel and the Menu button near the outer edge.

    --

    Chas Right

    Charlie Right, Jun 30, 2005