Apple Introduces Aperture

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ken Prager, Oct 19, 2005.

  1. Ken Prager

    Ken Prager Guest

    Pretty sweet feature set...

    > Designed from the ground up for professional photographers, Aperture provides
    > everything you need for after the shoot, delivering the first all-in-one
    > post-production tool for photographers.
    >
    > Featuring a RAW-focused workflow, Aperture makes RAW as easy as JPEG, letting
    > you import, edit, catalog, organize, retouch, publish, and archive your
    > images more effectively and efficiently than ever before. From capture to
    > output, you work directly with your RAW files, never having to first convert
    > them into another format before viewing, adjusting, organizing, or printing
    > them.
    >
    > And with the most powerful image processing in the world, Aperture is fast
    > whether youre working with RAW, JPEG, or TIFF images. It supports the RAW
    > formats from all leading digital camera manufacturers (including Canon and
    > Nikon) and provides optimized support for such market leading cameras as the
    > Canon EOS 1Ds Mark II, Canon EOS 20D, and Nikon D2x as well as the highly
    > popular Canon Digital Rebel and Nikon D50. It also supports the Adobe DNG
    > format.
    >
    > Whether youre a fashion, wedding, sports, portrait, fine art, commercial, or
    > editorial photographer, Apertures color-managed workflow and flexible design
    > tools will help you easily create stunning prints, customized contact sheets,
    > elegant books, and web pages as beautiful as the images you capture.

    Especially this...

    Image Processing
    o Non-destructive image processing
    o Master image becomes locked digital negative
    o Create alternate versions without using extra disk space
    o Photographers Essential non-destructive editing tools
    - Exposure
    - Histogram
    - Crop
    - Highlights & Shadows
    - Sharpen
    - RGB Channel Mixer
    - Levels
    - White Balance
    - Straighten
    - Red Eye Correction
    - Noise Reduction
    o Modify and suspend adjustments at any time
    o Dust, spot, blemish, red-eye, and patch tools
    o Lift and Stamp tool to copy and paste adjustments
    o Use Stacks to manage alternate versions
    o Seamless Photoshop integration
    - One-click export directly into Photoshop as .PSD or TIFF
    - Native support for flattened or single-layer .PSD files
    - Manage Photoshop-generated image versions

    More info here...

    <http://www.apple.com/aperture/>

    Cheers,

    KP

    Ken Prager, Oct 19, 2005

  2. Today Ken Prager spoke these views with conviction for
    everyone's edification:

    > Pretty sweet feature set...
    >
    >> Designed from the ground up for professional
    >> photographers, Aperture provides everything you need for
    >> after the shoot, delivering the first all-in-one
    >> post-production tool for photographers.

    It damn well ought to be for $500! Not needing nor able to
    afford PS CS2, I can only guess on how much Apple knows about
    the market they're attempting to penetrate, although Mac
    capability is allegedly legendary.

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry

    All Things Mopar, Oct 19, 2005

  3. Ken Prager

    Lorem Ipsum Guest

    "Ken Prager" <> wrote in message
    > Pretty sweet feature set...
    >
    >> Designed from the ground up for professional photographers, Aperture
    >> provides
    >> everything you need for after the shoot, delivering the first all-in-one
    >> post-production tool for photographers.

    I see they have priced it between Elements and CS. The interface is
    downright sexy. Cool. The feature set is limited, which might be a good
    thing considering how daunting an advanced image editor can be. It will
    sell for sure. Maybe it will kick Adobe into reconsidering their interface.

    Can it really handle Nikon RAW? I wonder about that.

    Competition is good.
    But I'm a total CS nutcase nonetheless.

    Lorem Ipsum, Oct 19, 2005
  4. On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 15:33:01 -0500, Lorem Ipsum <> wrote:
    > "Ken Prager" <> wrote in message
    >> Pretty sweet feature set...
    >>
    >>> Designed from the ground up for professional photographers, Aperture
    >>> provides
    >>> everything you need for after the shoot, delivering the first all-in-one
    >>> post-production tool for photographers.

    > I see they have priced it between Elements and CS.

    I was flipping through Apple's website looking at pricing on the new
    Powerbooks, and I noticed that the educationally-discounted price on
    Aperture is $250. So, if you're a student or otherwise affiliated with
    academia, it's half of list price.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Oct 19, 2005
  5. Ken Prager

    Kinon O'cann Guest

    "Ken Prager" <> wrote in message
    > Pretty sweet feature set...

    ...Mac only?

    Kinon O'cann, Oct 19, 2005
  6. Ken Prager

    Ken Prager Guest

    In article <>,
    "Kinon O'cann" <Yes.it's.me.Bowser> wrote:

    > "Ken Prager" <> wrote in message
    > > Pretty sweet feature set...
    > >

    > ..Mac only?

    Yes,

    Ken Prager, Oct 19, 2005
  7. Ken Prager

    Nikon User Guest

    In article <>,
    Ken Prager <> wrote:

    > Pretty sweet feature set...

    I already ordered it; 50% discount for students through Apple's
    educational-sales program. All I had to give them were the name of my
    school and my student ID number (oh, and my credit card info too). It
    won't ship for another six to eight weeks, though.

    Nikon User, Oct 19, 2005
  8. Ken Prager

    Nikon User Guest

    In article <>,
    "Lorem Ipsum" <> wrote:

    > Can it really handle Nikon RAW? I wonder about that.

    iPhoto can handle D70 and earlier Nikon RAW; it can't handle D70s RAW
    yet, though. So, I'm sure that Aperture can handle it.

    Nikon User, Oct 19, 2005
  9. Ken Prager

    W (winhag) Guest

    Why do we need this software? Do they really expect to compete with
    Photoshop?
    While P'shop can be clunky or non-intuitive it has a zillion features
    built up over time that people want/need. My guess is that Aperture
    will look really good on the surface but there will be all sorts of
    things that you'll want to do that you will not be able to do when you
    really start using it....just like any other brand new software. And
    oh, it doesn't support the vast majority of platforms (Windows) in the
    world. The days of pro's using MACs only are over.

    W (winhag), Oct 19, 2005
  10. Ken Prager

    Chris Brown Guest

    In article <>,
    Ken Prager <> wrote:
    >In article <>,
    > "Kinon O'cann" <Yes.it's.me.Bowser> wrote:
    >
    >> "Ken Prager" <> wrote in message
    >> > Pretty sweet feature set...
    >> >

    >> ..Mac only?

    >Yes,

    According to the tech requirements, it won't run on my PowerMac G4. :-(

    Chris Brown, Oct 20, 2005
  11. Ken Prager

    Kinon O'cann Guest

    "W (winhag)" <> wrote in message
    > Why do we need this software? Do they really expect to compete with
    > Photoshop?
    > While P'shop can be clunky or non-intuitive it has a zillion features
    > built up over time that people want/need. My guess is that Aperture
    > will look really good on the surface but there will be all sorts of
    > things that you'll want to do that you will not be able to do when you
    > really start using it....just like any other brand new software. And
    > oh, it doesn't support the vast majority of platforms (Windows) in the
    > world. The days of pro's using MACs only are over.

    We don't need this software. Apple does, apparently to sell computers. Look
    at those requirements! Minimum: 1.8Ghz G5, recommended: dual 2Ghz G5!

    Yeah, okay. It may be nice, it may be a clunker, but it won't run on my PC
    so it's useless for me.

    Kinon O'cann, Oct 20, 2005
  12. Ken Prager

    bmoag Guest

    Repeat after me, "Less than 4% desktop market share world wide and expected
    to shrink further when Apple abandons current users and switches to Intel
    CPU and proprietary chipset."
    If it wasn't for IPOD Apple computer would be as dead a brand as Apple
    Records.

    bmoag, Oct 20, 2005
  13. Ken Prager

    C Wright Guest

    On 10/19/05 7:49 PM, in article
    pQB5f.5217$, "bmoag" <>
    wrote:

    > Repeat after me, "Less than 4% desktop market share world wide and expected
    > to shrink further when Apple abandons current users and switches to Intel
    > CPU and proprietary chipset."
    > If it wasn't for IPOD Apple computer would be as dead a brand as Apple
    > Records.

    The 4% figure comes from the sale of _new_ PC's versus Macs and is somewhat
    misleading in that PC's are recycled more frequently. The imbedded base of
    Mac users is actually about 10%. Regarding Apple's switch to Intel it is
    just a pure guess whether this will help or hurt Apple sales.
    As far as Aperture is concerned, even though I have a G5 that would run it,
    I think that I will wait and see! As someone else observed there seems to
    be a lot of initial hype and few know what is "under the hood" versus
    Photoshop.

    C Wright, Oct 20, 2005
  14. Ken Prager

    Nikon User Guest

    In article <pQB5f.5217$>,
    "bmoag" <> wrote:

    > Repeat after me, "Less than 4% desktop market share world wide and
    > expected to shrink further when Apple abandons current users and
    > switches to Intel CPU and proprietary chipset."

    Actually, it's more than 4% now, and it's growing. And will grow even
    faster after the switch to Intel.

    > If it wasn't for IPOD Apple computer would be as dead a brand as
    > Apple Records.

    Nah; it would still be a viable brand, and would still be growing, but
    not as fast as it is growing. The iPod is getting more and more people
    to switch to Macintosh computers.

    Nikon User, Oct 20, 2005
  15. Ken Prager

    ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 19:38:23 -0400, Kinon O'cann wrote:

    >> o Photographers Essential non-destructive editing tools
    >> - Exposure
    >> - Histogram
    >> - Crop
    >> - Highlights & Shadows
    >> - Sharpen
    >> - RGB Channel Mixer
    >> - Levels
    >> - White Balance
    >> - Straighten
    >> - Red Eye Correction
    >> - Noise Reduction

    > o Modify and suspend adjustments at any time
    > o Dust, spot, blemish, red-eye, and patch tools
    > o Lift and Stamp tool to copy and paste adjustments

    >> oh, it doesn't support the vast majority of platforms (Windows) in the
    >> world. The days of pro's using MACs only are over.

    > We don't need this software. Apple does, apparently to sell computers.
    > Look at those requirements! Minimum: 1.8Ghz G5, recommended:
    > dual 2Ghz G5!

    I guess that it's useful to have Exposure, Histogram, Crop,
    Highlights & Shadows, Sharpen, RGB Channel Mixer, Levels, White
    Balance, Straighten and Red Eye Correction tools that are
    non-destructive. But does that mean that the original files are
    linked to other files that reapply changes each time the files are
    loaded, or are they self-contained in the original? Either way,
    being able to contain multiple versions of the image (in "stacks")
    implies bloat. And what about the Dust, spot, blemish, patch and
    Lift and Stamp tools not listed as being non-destructive? If
    they're destructive you'd want to keep the original unmodified image
    somewhere for security purposes anyway, so encouraging newbies to
    use any destructive tools on their originals is foolish. Maybe
    *all* changes are non-destructive, and Apple's ad copy editor failed
    to make that clear?

    ASAAR, Oct 20, 2005
  16. In article <pQB5f.5217$>, bmoag
    <> wrote:

    > Repeat after me, "Less than 4% desktop market share world wide and expected
    > to shrink further when Apple abandons current users and switches to Intel
    > CPU and proprietary chipset."
    > If it wasn't for IPOD Apple computer would be as dead a brand as Apple
    > Records.

    Let your mom have her e-Machine back so she can do virus and security
    updates.

    Randall Ainsworth, Oct 20, 2005
  17. Ken Prager

    a Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > I guess that it's useful to have Exposure, Histogram, Crop,
    > Highlights & Shadows, Sharpen, RGB Channel Mixer, Levels, White
    > Balance, Straighten and Red Eye Correction tools that are
    > non-destructive. But does that mean that the original files are
    > linked to other files that reapply changes each time the files are
    > loaded, or are they self-contained in the original? Either way,
    > being able to contain multiple versions of the image (in "stacks")
    > implies bloat.

    Perhaps they have a settings database and all versions are "virtual".
    Might be a bit time-consuming to regenerate a specific version though.
    --

    Alfred Molon

    a, Oct 20, 2005
  18. Ken Prager

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 16:55:28 +0200, a wrote:

    >> I guess that it's useful to have Exposure, Histogram, Crop,
    >> Highlights & Shadows, Sharpen, RGB Channel Mixer, Levels, White
    >> Balance, Straighten and Red Eye Correction tools that are
    >> non-destructive. But does that mean that the original files are
    >> linked to other files that reapply changes each time the files are
    >> loaded, or are they self-contained in the original? Either way,
    >> being able to contain multiple versions of the image (in "stacks")
    >> implies bloat.

    > Perhaps they have a settings database and all versions are "virtual".
    > Might be a bit time-consuming to regenerate a specific version though.

    It seems similar to software Version Control systems, and I recall
    that those operations could take a bit of time, but nothing really
    excessive. But that was with small text files. Similar operations
    on multi-megabyte images could be very time consuming. Such a
    system could also end up either confusing less than expert users for
    certain types of operations or being unwieldy. If you wanted to
    give a friend or business 100 edited image files, unless the last
    edited copy of each was saved as a separate file (in addition to the
    original, bloated with non-destructive "change" data), you wouldn't
    be able to use standard file copy tools, but would have to use
    Aperture to browse and regenerate each of the 100 files. It would
    be interesting to know how the software manages the changed images,
    but I'll let Apple users ferret it out, and share if they care.

    ASAAR, Oct 20, 2005
  19. In article <>,
    "W (winhag)" <> wrote:

    > Why do we need this software? Do they really expect to compete with
    > Photoshop?
    > While P'shop can be clunky or non-intuitive it has a zillion features
    > built up over time that people want/need. My guess is that Aperture
    > will look really good on the surface but there will be all sorts of
    > things that you'll want to do that you will not be able to do when you
    > really start using it....just like any other brand new software. And
    > oh, it doesn't support the vast majority of platforms (Windows) in the
    > world. The days of pro's using MACs only are over.

    With mac going to Intel processors - it will be easier to port
    applications to windows. This is FCP for images. I expect it will also
    work seamlessly with iphoto, FCP suite and so on. Clearly a high end
    tool but it will be a great alternative to many people's use of PS.

    Still needs an external image editor, but I expect that will be filled
    in in the next release. Meantime - there is PhotoStudio for mac.

    If apple does their usual thing, I'd expect iphoto to continue to
    increase capability to close some of the gap between itself and Aperture.
    --
    sig goes here

    Michael Gardner, Oct 20, 2005
  20. In article <pQB5f.5217$>,
    "bmoag" <> wrote:

    > Repeat after me, "Less than 4% desktop market share world wide and expected
    > to shrink further when Apple abandons current users and switches to Intel
    > CPU and proprietary chipset."
    > If it wasn't for IPOD Apple computer would be as dead a brand as Apple
    > Records.

    baloney - when apple switches to intel the price of the hardware will
    drop - the single biggest complaint will go away. I'll be able to use
    a much more intelligent OS on hardware priced very close to what M$ runs
    on. Apple isn't going away, though the IPOD is a great product.
    --
    sig goes here

    Michael Gardner, Oct 21, 2005