    floppies successful floppies on a pc or am I going to have to find myself an
    old Mac to make this work.

    Thanks
    Joe, Apr 19, 2006

  2. Joe wrote:

    > O.k. here's the deal. I've acquired a Apple IIGS with no operating system
    > or system disk what so ever. I've found the OS on Apples FTP server
    > available to download. My problem is that I'm running a pc and found out
    > via trial and error that I'm not able to write the floppies in the proper
    > format for the Apple IIGS to read. Does anybody know of any way that I can

    ProDOS?

    > write the floppies successful floppies on a pc or am I going to have to
    > find myself an old Mac to make this work.

    Are you sure *that* will be compatible?

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Apr 20, 2006

  3. Joe

    Mitch Guest

    In article <I_v1g.4160$>, Joe
    <> wrote:

    > O.k. here's the deal. I've acquired a Apple IIGS with no operating system or
    > system disk what so ever. I've found the OS on Apples FTP server available
    > to download. My problem is that I'm running a pc and found out via trial and
    > error that I'm not able to write the floppies in the proper format for the
    > Apple IIGS to read. Does anybody know of any way that I can write the
    > floppies successful floppies on a pc or am I going to have to find myself an
    > old Mac to make this work.

    The Apple II used ProDOS formatting; I suspect you just need a writing
    tool that can support ProDOS.

    Failing that, MacDrive and some other cross-platform tools know how to
    make stuff right.

    You should check whether the floopy drive can read both 400 KB and 800
    KB formats.
    Mitch, Apr 20, 2006
  4. Blinky the Shark skrev:
    > Joe wrote:
    >
    >> O.k. here's the deal. I've acquired a Apple IIGS with no operating system
    >> or system disk what so ever. I've found the OS on Apples FTP server
    >> available to download. My problem is that I'm running a pc and found out
    >> via trial and error that I'm not able to write the floppies in the proper
    >> format for the Apple IIGS to read. Does anybody know of any way that I can

    > ProDOS?
    >
    >> write the floppies successful floppies on a pc or am I going to have to
    >> find myself an old Mac to make this work.

    > Are you sure *that* will be compatible?

    Yes, old system 6 macs (like the classic) can format a disk in
    ProDOS-format.
    Roger Jansson, Apr 20, 2006
  5. Roger Jansson wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark skrev:
    >> Joe wrote:
    >>
    >>> O.k. here's the deal. I've acquired a Apple IIGS with no operating
    >>> system or system disk what so ever. I've found the OS on Apples FTP
    >>> server available to download. My problem is that I'm running a pc and
    >>> found out via trial and error that I'm not able to write the floppies
    >>> in the proper format for the Apple IIGS to read. Does anybody know of
    >>> any way that I can

    >> ProDOS?
    >>
    >>> write the floppies successful floppies on a pc or am I going to have to
    >>> find myself an old Mac to make this work.

    >> Are you sure *that* will be compatible?
    >>

    > Yes, old system 6 macs (like the classic) can format a disk in
    > ProDOS-format.

    Good deal. If *that* can be found, anyway...

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 20, 2006