    regards

    thing
    , Jul 14, 2005

  2. In article <>,
    "" <> wrote:

    >How upgradable are the graphics cards?
    >
    >I am hoping to get a ex-work G4 just looking at some options....
    >
    >I know they have PCI slots but is anything really available at a sane
    >price to put in them?
    >
    >Looking at them it looks like they come with usb1.1 so a pci usb2 card
    >would be a good upgrade if its around $30~40 ish.....not if its $100+ it
    >just becomes not worth it....
    >
    >Ditto adding another firwire port....I really like imovie etc, but Im
    >running out of expansion options on my G3.

    I think USB2 and FireWire cards are all supposed to conform to standard
    interfaces (OHCI, UHCI, EHCI, something like that). Which means that,
    with sufficiently recent OSes, you should be able to just plug them in
    and have them work without having to install drivers.

    For graphics cards, you'll need drivers.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 17, 2005

  3. thing2 Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > "" <> wrote:
    >

    >>How upgradable are the graphics cards?
    >>
    >>I am hoping to get a ex-work G4 just looking at some options....
    >>
    >>I know they have PCI slots but is anything really available at a sane
    >>price to put in them?
    >>
    >>Looking at them it looks like they come with usb1.1 so a pci usb2 card
    >>would be a good upgrade if its around $30~40 ish.....not if its $100+ it
    >>just becomes not worth it....
    >>
    >>Ditto adding another firwire port....I really like imovie etc, but Im
    >>running out of expansion options on my G3.

    > I think USB2 and FireWire cards are all supposed to conform to standard
    > interfaces (OHCI, UHCI, EHCI, something like that). Which means that,
    > with sufficiently recent OSes, you should be able to just plug them in
    > and have them work without having to install drivers.
    >
    > For graphics cards, you'll need drivers.

    Thanks, from looking at DSE's site I think I can buy seperate usb2 and
    firewire cards and they should work.

    The fun bit will be the graphics.....I have a spare matrox g400max I
    would like to use......

    regards

    thing
    thing2, Jul 18, 2005
  4. In <> thing2 wrote:

    > Thanks, from looking at DSE's site I think I can buy seperate usb2 and
    > firewire cards and they should work.
    >
    > The fun bit will be the graphics.....I have a spare matrox g400max I
    > would like to use......
    >
    > regards
    >
    > thing

    The video card's going to be tricky. The only cards with Mac drivers are
    the ATI and Nvidia cards. ATI sell retail Mac versions of some of their
    cards, but the Nvidia ones are only available as Apple OEM versions. The
    cards are the same as the PC versions except for a different ROM.

    I know it's possible to reprogram the flash ROM in some of the Nvidia
    AGP cards with a Mac ROM.
    http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/video.html has some info.

    http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Jul 19, 2005