Apple Allows Windows on Its Machines

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by impossible, Apr 5, 2006.

  1. impossible

    impossible Guest

    New York Times
    April 5, 2006

    Apple Allows Windows on Its Machines

    By VIKAS BAJAJ

    Turning a decades-long rivalry on its head, Apple Computer introduced
    software today that it says will easily allow users to install
    Microsoft's Windows XP operating system on Apple's newest computers.

    The software, Boot Camp, is available as a free download on Apple's
    Web site and will be part of the next version of Apple's operating
    system, Leopard. It works on Apple's three lines of computer that run
    on Intel chips - the Mac mini, the iMac and the MacBook Pro.

    Apple's move is a recognition of the growing interest among some users
    in running Windows on Macintosh computers now that they are using
    Intel processors, which power the majority of Windows-based personal
    computers. Many technology enthusiasts have already been sharing
    software and tricks on the Internet to allow Mac users to add Windows
    to their new machines, though those approaches involve a far more
    complicated installation than Apple's new software does.

    In a statement today, Apple said it does not intend to support Windows
    for customers who install Boot Camp and run Windows XP on their
    machines. Still, the company said it is providing the software because
    it recognizes a sizeable demand - and opportunity.

    "We think Boot Camp makes the Mac even more appealing to Windows users
    considering making the switch," Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice
    president of worldwide product marketing, said in the statement.

    Investors seemed to think the strategy would help Apple expand its
    share of the personal computer market beyond the 3 percent to 5
    percent level where it has stood at for many years. Shares of Apple
    jumped $4.23, or 7 percent, to $65.40 in morning trading. Shares of
    Microsoft were up 6 cents, to $27.70.

    After years of stagnant or declining computer sales, Apple has seen a
    steady and significant rise in its desktops and laptops in recent
    years as more consumers have purchased its iPod music player and
    bought songs through its online iTunes music store.

    Though Apple's shift to Intel from chips made by International
    Business Machines and a former division of Motorola has been
    considered risky from a technical and business standpoint, the move
    could help the company capitalize further on the so-far modest gains
    it has made in the computer business.

    Many personal computer users have been reluctant to switch to Apple,
    because they cannot use software that is written to run exclusively on
    the Windows operating system, said Charles Wolf, a veteran technology
    industry analyst at Needham & Company. By making it easy for users to
    run Windows software on its machine, Apple has taken away "one of the
    most significant barriers to switching," he said.

    The key test will be whether computer buyers will be willing to spend
    more money to buy an Apple computer to run the same software they can
    run on a far cheaper Windows-based machine from manufacturers like
    Dell and Hewlett-Packard.

    Mr. Wolf calculates that Apple's biggest market share gains will be
    among residential users, who are more likely to be swayed by Apple's
    design and media savvy than corporate and government customers who
    will likely to stick with cheaper hardware and software
    configurations.

    The shift could mean a significant increase in sales for Apple over
    time, especially after Leopard becomes the standard Mac operating
    system late this year or early in 2007. But the company's gains do not
    have to mean big losses for other hardware makers, Mr. Wolf said,
    because they will only lose a small fraction of their market share.

    "You are starting out with a market share of 2 or 3 percent and maybe
    going to a market share of 6 or 7," he said. "Apple is not going to
    take over the world."

    Users who download and install Boot Camp must buy a copy of Windows XP
    software, which starts at $141.98 for the home edition. The Boot Camp
    software serves as an intermediary that creates an installation disk
    (users will need to provide a blank compact disk for this step) that
    lets the Windows software operate the Apple hardware, including its
    networking, audio and graphics devices and controls. Certain other
    features like a remote control for Apple's media software will not
    work with Windows software.

    Once the installation is complete, users can select which operating
    system, Apple or Windows, they want to use each time they start the
    computer
    impossible, Apr 5, 2006

  2. impossible

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 15:18:46 -0400, "impossible" <>
    exclaimed:

    >Apple Allows Windows on Its Machines

    Interesting, eh?

    They're finally admitting Windows is better than MacOS.

    I'd imagine this is all in preparation for Windows Vista.
    Fred Dagg, Apr 5, 2006

  3. On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 10:11:47 +1200, Fred Dagg wrote:

    > They're finally admitting Windows is better than MacOS.

    You know Microsoft is supporting RHEL on Virtual Server right?

    Interoperability is a great thing for everyone. With exes running in
    Windows no problems, running in Linux with Wine, and perhaps to be running
    in Mac OS X, that's great to think I can run whatever software I like on
    the big three x86 OS I prefer the most.

    --
    Regards,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Apr 5, 2006
  4. impossible

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 10:53:49 +1200, Waylon Kenning
    <> exclaimed:

    >On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 10:11:47 +1200, Fred Dagg wrote:
    >
    >> They're finally admitting Windows is better than MacOS.

    >You know Microsoft is supporting RHEL on Virtual Server right?
    >
    >Interoperability is a great thing for everyone. With exes running in
    >Windows no problems, running in Linux with Wine, and perhaps to be running
    >in Mac OS X, that's great to think I can run whatever software I like on
    >the big three x86 OS I prefer the most.

    Hi, Waylon.

    We're not talking about virtualisation, though. This is a replacement
    for MacOS (or dual booting with MacOS), NOT run within MacOS.
    Fred Dagg, Apr 6, 2006
  5. "impossible" <> wrote in message
> [...]
    >
    > "You are starting out with a market share of 2 or 3 percent and maybe
    > going to a market share of 6 or 7," he said. "Apple is not going to take
    > over the world."
    >
    > Users who download and install Boot Camp must buy a copy of Windows XP
    > software, which starts at $141.98 for the home edition. The Boot Camp
    > software serves as an intermediary that creates an installation disk
    > (users will need to provide a blank compact disk for this step) that lets
    > the Windows software operate the Apple hardware, including its networking,
    > audio and graphics devices and controls. Certain other features like a
    > remote control for Apple's media software will not work with Windows
    > software.
    >
    > Once the installation is complete, users can select which operating
    > system, Apple or Windows, they want to use each time they start the

    great, my apple shares have jumped , pushing the nasdaq to a high.
    news.xtra.co.nz, Apr 6, 2006
  6. impossible

    Vista Guest

    > New York Times
    > April 5, 2006
    >
    > Apple Allows Windows on Its Machines
    >
    > By VIKAS BAJAJ
    >
    > Turning a decades-long rivalry on its head, Apple Computer introduced
    > software today that it says will easily allow users to install Microsoft's
    > Windows XP operating system on Apple's newest computers.

    Cool, I might actually buy one when they release it, as it would make it far
    more adaptable. I would far prefer to have a mac as part of my home
    entertainment centre, than a PC.
    Vista, Apr 6, 2006
  7. Re: Apple Allows Windows on Its Machines (and morons rear their heads again)

    Fred Dagg <> wrote:

    > On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 15:18:46 -0400, "impossible" <>
    > exclaimed:
    > >
    > >Apple Allows Windows on Its Machines

    > Interesting, eh?
    >
    > They're finally admitting Windows is better than MacOS.

    How you managed not to kill yourself off in childhood through sheer
    stupidity, baffles me.

    > I'd imagine this is all in preparation for Windows Vista.

    Help me out here and make the connection for me. HOW is this in
    preparation for Vista? The only connection between Vista and MacOS X is
    how much of a ripoff Vista is of OSX. I recall a highly amusing video
    that came out of CES. It was the voice of a MS marketing person showing
    off Vista's features. Some pranksters replaced the video of Vista with
    OSX. Word for word, feature for feature - OSX already had it, and has
    for years.

    I use OSX because it is a modern, powerful, beautiful and more secure
    OS, that doesn't make the user fight against the OS to get work done.
    Oh, and it does this TODAY. It's been doing it for YEARS. Not some ever
    changing date in the future.

    You might want to actually engage the old grey matter and THINK a little
    bit about that. God, you know I don't mind ignorance or stubbornness so
    much. But out and out stupidity? I have trouble dealing with that... do
    the world a favour and throw yourself in front of a bus.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet
    Jamie Kahn Genet, Apr 6, 2006
  8. Vista <> wrote:

    > "impossible" <> wrote in message
    > > New York Times
    > > April 5, 2006
    > >
    > > Apple Allows Windows on Its Machines
    > >
    > > By VIKAS BAJAJ
    > >
    > > Turning a decades-long rivalry on its head, Apple Computer introduced
    > > software today that it says will easily allow users to install Microsoft's
    > > Windows XP operating system on Apple's newest computers.
    > >

    > Cool, I might actually buy one when they release it, as it would make it far
    > more adaptable. I would far prefer to have a mac as part of my home
    > entertainment centre, than a PC.

    What I like is I'll be able to play the few really good Windows games
    not ported to the Mac at full speed. That has me sold. Other than that
    I'm hard pressed to think of why else I might ever want to dual boot.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet
    Jamie Kahn Genet, Apr 6, 2006
  9. impossible

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Re: Apple Allows Windows on Its Machines (and morons rear their heads again)

    On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 19:14:21 +1200, (Jamie
    Kahn Genet) exclaimed:

    >Fred Dagg <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 15:18:46 -0400, "impossible" <>
    >> exclaimed:
    >> >
    >> >Apple Allows Windows on Its Machines

    >> Interesting, eh?
    >>
    >> They're finally admitting Windows is better than MacOS.

    >How you managed not to kill yourself off in childhood through sheer
    >stupidity, baffles me.
    >
    >> I'd imagine this is all in preparation for Windows Vista.

    >Help me out here and make the connection for me. HOW is this in
    >preparation for Vista? The only connection between Vista and MacOS X is
    >how much of a ripoff Vista is of OSX. I recall a highly amusing video
    >that came out of CES. It was the voice of a MS marketing person showing
    >off Vista's features. Some pranksters replaced the video of Vista with
    >OSX. Word for word, feature for feature - OSX already had it, and has
    >for years.
    >
    >I use OSX because it is a modern, powerful, beautiful and more secure
    >OS, that doesn't make the user fight against the OS to get work done.
    >Oh, and it does this TODAY. It's been doing it for YEARS. Not some ever
    >changing date in the future.
    >
    >You might want to actually engage the old grey matter and THINK a little
    >bit about that. God, you know I don't mind ignorance or stubbornness so
    >much. But out and out stupidity? I have trouble dealing with that... do
    >the world a favour and throw yourself in front of a bus.
    >
    >Regards,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet

    Dear oh dear!! Obviously struck a very raw nerve!

    You usually know you're on to something when people react in this way
    - I guess sometimes the truth hurts.
    Fred Dagg, Apr 6, 2006
  10. Re: Apple Allows Windows on Its Machines (and morons rear their heads again)

    Fred Dagg <> wrote:

    > On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 19:14:21 +1200, (Jamie
    > Kahn Genet) exclaimed:
    >
    > >Fred Dagg <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 15:18:46 -0400, "impossible" <>
    > >> exclaimed:

    > >> Interesting, eh?
    > >>
    > >> They're finally admitting Windows is better than MacOS.

    > >How you managed not to kill yourself off in childhood through sheer
    > >stupidity, baffles me.
    > >
    > >> I'd imagine this is all in preparation for Windows Vista.

    > >Help me out here and make the connection for me. HOW is this in
    > >preparation for Vista? The only connection between Vista and MacOS X is
    > >how much of a ripoff Vista is of OSX. I recall a highly amusing video
    > >that came out of CES. It was the voice of a MS marketing person showing
    > >off Vista's features. Some pranksters replaced the video of Vista with
    > >OSX. Word for word, feature for feature - OSX already had it, and has
    > >for years.
    > >
    > >I use OSX because it is a modern, powerful, beautiful and more secure
    > >OS, that doesn't make the user fight against the OS to get work done.
    > >Oh, and it does this TODAY. It's been doing it for YEARS. Not some ever
    > >changing date in the future.
    > >
    > >You might want to actually engage the old grey matter and THINK a little
    > >bit about that. God, you know I don't mind ignorance or stubbornness so
    > >much. But out and out stupidity? I have trouble dealing with that... do
    > >the world a favour and throw yourself in front of a bus.
    > >
    > >Regards,
    > > Jamie Kahn Genet

    > Dear oh dear!! Obviously struck a very raw nerve!
    >
    > You usually know you're on to something when people react in this way
    > - I guess sometimes the truth hurts.

    Or maybe I've run across just one to many morons today. But - no, no...
    that couldn't be it, could it? Of course not! Windows Vista is nothing
    like OSX, it's also out now, NO! - it's been out for years. Oh, and
    there's some sort of connection between Vista and Boot Camp... no one's
    exactly sure what... but I'm sure there is!

    Yep, you're right. 100% right. You're not self delusional all. Windows
    has no major security issues, hardly ever crashes, is rock solid... etc,
    etc. It's MUCH better than a modern OS like OSX. I think I'm going to
    write Apple a letter after I've posted this. I shall ask them to
    incorporate a registry into OSX. Because Windows uses a registry and it
    works REALLY well. Not an old, clunky concept at all! WHY, Apple, WHY OH
    WHY doesn't OSX have a registry? Now I think of it - there's a whole
    HOST of features from wonderful Windows that OSX ought to have! Oh, I'm
    on a roll now...!

    Cheers,
    Jamie Kahn Genet
    Jamie Kahn Genet, Apr 6, 2006
  11. impossible

    Peter S Guest

    "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 15:18:46 -0400, "impossible" <>
    > exclaimed:
    >>
    >>Apple Allows Windows on Its Machines

    > Interesting, eh?
    >
    > They're finally admitting Windows is better than MacOS.
    >
    > I'd imagine this is all in preparation for Windows Vista.

    Nah, thats too stupid a thing to say by an intelligent human being. You're a
    troll. Second only to that cupoftea bloke.
    Peter S, Apr 6, 2006
  12. impossible

    Peter S Guest

    "news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote in message

> [...]
    >> going to a market share of 6 or 7," he said. "Apple is not going to take
    >> over the world."
    >>
    >> Users who download and install Boot Camp must buy a copy of Windows XP
    >> software, which starts at $141.98 for the home edition. The Boot Camp
    >> software serves as an intermediary that creates an installation disk
    >> (users will need to provide a blank compact disk for this step) that lets
    >> the Windows software operate the Apple hardware, including its
    >> networking, audio and graphics devices and controls. Certain other
    >> features like a remote control for Apple's media software will not work
    >> with Windows software.
    >>
    >> Once the installation is complete, users can select which operating
    >> system, Apple or Windows, they want to use each time they start the
    >> computer
    >>

    > great, my apple shares have jumped , pushing the nasdaq to a high.

    Yeah, its brilliant isn't it. I spent nearly $900 on an ipod 3G a few years
    ago. Its probably worth $150? now. If I'd spent that nearly $900 on Apple
    shares, I'd prob have $3000 or so now?

    Hope you didn't nuy those shares when they were $80 a few months ago, but
    then again they will go back above that.

    Pete. :)
    Peter S, Apr 6, 2006
  13. impossible

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Re: Apple Allows Windows on Its Machines (and morons rear their heads again)

    On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 21:22:43 +1200, (Jamie
    Kahn Genet) exclaimed:

    >Yep, you're right. 100% right. You're not self delusional all. Windows
    >has no major security issues,

    I have not had a security issue in Windows for a long time.

    >hardly ever crashes, is rock solid...

    Yes, again, you're right. I can't remember last time my computer
    crashed, and I hammer the hell out of it.

    >etc,
    >etc. It's MUCH better than a modern OS like OSX. I think I'm going to
    >write Apple a letter after I've posted this.

    Feel free. They'd probably love a letter from one of their three
    customers.

    >I shall ask them to incorporate a registry into OSX.

    Oops, too late.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NetInfo

    Maybe you should learn a little about your OS before making bullshit
    comments?

    >Because Windows uses a registry and it
    >works REALLY well.

    Yes, it does. However, your comments now make sense. You obviously
    haven't *used* Windows XP. Sure, 9x had a shit Registry system, but
    the implementation in XP is greatly approved. Not that close-minded
    Mac geeks give a shit.

    What a "pretty" computer you've got, ya big girl.

    > Not an old, clunky concept at all!

    Yeah, it's obviously a stupid idea, having a centralised database of
    settings. Stupid, stupid, stupid!!

    > WHY, Apple, WHY OH
    >WHY doesn't OSX have a registry?

    It does, fool.

    >Now I think of it - there's a whole
    >HOST of features from wonderful Windows that OSX ought to have! Oh, I'm
    >on a roll now...!

    Very true. While they did do a good job of stealing their OS from the
    BSD boys, maybe they should look at implementing some of the features
    coming in Vista.
    Fred Dagg, Apr 6, 2006
  14. Re: Apple Allows Windows on Its Machines (and morons rear their heads again)

    Fred Dagg <> wrote:

    > On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 21:22:43 +1200, (Jamie
    > Kahn Genet) exclaimed:
    > >
    > >Yep, you're right. 100% right. You're not self delusional all. Windows
    > >has no major security issues,

    > I have not had a security issue in Windows for a long time.

    Please share your methods for avoiding the troubles plaguing the rest of
    the Window's using population.

    > >hardly ever crashes, is rock solid...

    > Yes, again, you're right. I can't remember last time my computer
    > crashed, and I hammer the hell out of it.

    Impressive. Once again, I urge you to share.

    > >etc,
    > >etc. It's MUCH better than a modern OS like OSX. I think I'm going to
    > >write Apple a letter after I've posted this.

    > Feel free. They'd probably love a letter from one of their three
    > customers.

    *laughs* Ignorance rears it's head.

    > >I shall ask them to incorporate a registry into OSX.

    > Oops, too late.
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NetInfo
    >
    > Maybe you should learn a little about your OS before making bullshit
    > comments?

    Maybe you, good sir, need to learn a little more about NetInfo, and
    exactly what it is, WHAT information is stored (no application
    preferences and all the other shit kept in the absurd, outdated Windows
    registry), and how it works.

    > >Because Windows uses a registry and it
    > >works REALLY well.

    > Yes, it does. However, your comments now make sense. You obviously
    > haven't *used* Windows XP. Sure, 9x had a shit Registry system, but
    > the implementation in XP is greatly approved. Not that close-minded
    > Mac geeks give a shit.

    Yeah, lets store application prefs in a system wide preferences file.
    Great way to run a system...

    > What a "pretty" computer you've got, ya big girl.

    All I do is laugh at sad comments like that. God, you are amusing, if
    nothing else...

    > > Not an old, clunky concept at all!

    > Yeah, it's obviously a stupid idea, having a centralised database of
    > settings. Stupid, stupid, stupid!!

    Yes it is stupid for anything but the OS's prefs.

    > > WHY, Apple, WHY OH
    > >WHY doesn't OSX have a registry?

    > It does, fool.

    No, it doesn't have anything comparable. Thank god.

    > >Now I think of it - there's a whole
    > >HOST of features from wonderful Windows that OSX ought to have! Oh, I'm
    > >on a roll now...!

    > Very true. While they did do a good job of stealing their OS from the
    > BSD boys, maybe they should look at implementing some of the features
    > coming in Vista.

    LMAO. OMG - are you really this braindead? Vista has nothing new! LOL
    LOL LOL Oh shit that's funny. Vista is MS late to the game with
    second-rate copies of other OS's - yet again. BTW - exactly how has
    Apple stolen from BSD Unix? I think you're a little confused. OSX is
    built on top of BSD Unix. How is that stealing? Please, enlighten me.

    Well, this HAS been highly amusing you sad little troll, but now I must
    go get a decent night's sleep. I do look forward to your sure to be
    funny as hell replies in the morning.

    G'night,
    Jamie Kahn Genet
    Jamie Kahn Genet, Apr 6, 2006
  15. impossible

    Mutlley Guest

    "Vista" <> wrote:

    >"impossible" <> wrote in message
    >> New York Times
    >> April 5, 2006
    >>
    >> Apple Allows Windows on Its Machines
    >>
    >> By VIKAS BAJAJ
    >>
    >> Turning a decades-long rivalry on its head, Apple Computer introduced
    >> software today that it says will easily allow users to install Microsoft's
    >> Windows XP operating system on Apple's newest computers.
    >>

    >Cool, I might actually buy one when they release it, as it would make it far
    >more adaptable. I would far prefer to have a mac as part of my home
    >entertainment centre, than a PC.

    I guess you would go and buy a Ferrari card and put a Skoda motor in
    it as well?? May look good but won't go fast..
    Mutlley, Apr 6, 2006
  16. impossible

    Petrushka Guest

    On 06/04/06 19:25, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > Vista <> wrote:
    >
    >> "impossible" <> wrote in message
    >>> New York Times
    >>> April 5, 2006
    >>>
    >>> Apple Allows Windows on Its Machines
    >>>
    >>> By VIKAS BAJAJ
    >>>
    >>> Turning a decades-long rivalry on its head, Apple Computer introduced
    >>> software today that it says will easily allow users to install Microsoft's
    >>> Windows XP operating system on Apple's newest computers.

    >> Cool, I might actually buy one when they release it, as it would make it far
    >> more adaptable. I would far prefer to have a mac as part of my home
    >> entertainment centre, than a PC.

    It's even better than you think: it *has already* been released. And it's free
    of charge.

    > What I like is I'll be able to play the few really good Windows games
    > not ported to the Mac at full speed. That has me sold. Other than that
    > I'm hard pressed to think of why else I might ever want to dual boot.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet

    FYI, many of the latest-and-snazziest games have been tested completely
    successfully:

    http://www.dancingrobots.com/2006/04/05/video-oblivion-on-a-mac-laptop-running-rather-well/

    http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Testing_Valve_Games_On_Intel_Macs

    Cheers,
    Petrushka, Apr 7, 2006
  17. impossible

    Vista Guest

    "Mutlley" <> wrote in message
    > "Vista" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"impossible" <> wrote in message
    >>> New York Times
    >>> April 5, 2006
    >>>
    >>> Apple Allows Windows on Its Machines
    >>>
    >>> By VIKAS BAJAJ
    >>>
    >>> Turning a decades-long rivalry on its head, Apple Computer introduced
    >>> software today that it says will easily allow users to install
    >>> Microsoft's
    >>> Windows XP operating system on Apple's newest computers.
    >>>

    >>Cool, I might actually buy one when they release it, as it would make it
    >>far
    >>more adaptable. I would far prefer to have a mac as part of my home
    >>entertainment centre, than a PC.
    >>

    > I guess you would go and buy a Ferrari card and put a Skoda motor in
    > it as well?? May look good but won't go fast..

    Not really the same situation, as you would have the choice of using either
    windows or mac at the push of a button. Putting a skoda engine in a ferrari
    would mean that you would only have the choice of using the skoda engine.
    Vista, Apr 7, 2006
  18. Re: Apple Allows Windows on Its Machines (and morons rear their heads again)

    On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 02:03:29 +1200, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

    > Please share your methods for avoiding the troubles plaguing the rest of
    > the Window's using population.

    Well, this is how I did it for 5 years.

    A) Get a good anti-virus program. It doesn't really matter which, the more
    important part is...
    B) Keep that anti-virus program on auto-update. Whenever it needs to, once
    every three days or whatever works for you.
    C) Get a firewall. Zone Alarm seems pretty good, or At Guard for Windows
    98 users.
    D) Keep that machine up to date. http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com. If
    you're using Windows XP, turn on auto-updates.
    E) Use Firefox. Not just for security reasons, but productivity reasons.
    F) Educate yourself. Learn what a virus is, and common methods of
    infection. Just like with real viruses, a little bit of knowledge goes a
    long way towards prevention.

    I can't say this will work for everyone, every time something is made
    foolproof, someone comes along and makes a better fool.

    --
    Regards,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Apr 7, 2006
  19. Re: Apple Allows Windows on Its Machines (and morons rear their heads again)

    Waylon Kenning <> wrote:

    > On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 02:03:29 +1200, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    >
    > > Please share your methods for avoiding the troubles plaguing the rest of
    > > the Window's using population.

    > Well, this is how I did it for 5 years.
    >
    > A) Get a good anti-virus program. It doesn't really matter which, the more
    > important part is...
    > B) Keep that anti-virus program on auto-update. Whenever it needs to, once
    > every three days or whatever works for you.
    > C) Get a firewall. Zone Alarm seems pretty good, or At Guard for Windows
    > 98 users.
    > D) Keep that machine up to date. http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com. If
    > you're using Windows XP, turn on auto-updates.
    > E) Use Firefox. Not just for security reasons, but productivity reasons.
    > F) Educate yourself. Learn what a virus is, and common methods of
    > infection. Just like with real viruses, a little bit of knowledge goes a
    > long way towards prevention.
    >
    > I can't say this will work for everyone, every time something is made
    > foolproof, someone comes along and makes a better fool.

    All excellent advice :) I'd also mention Firefox isn't the only choice
    for a more secure and feature filled Web browser for Windows. Opera and
    Seamonkey are also very good.

    A book I recommend to users these days is: Always use Protection - A
    Teen's Guide to Safe Computing. ISBN: 1-59059-326-X. Though it has
    "Teen" in the title it's also great book for adults or anyone at all
    unsure or unaware of security issues, IMHO.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet
    Jamie Kahn Genet, Apr 7, 2006
  20. impossible

    Bystander Guest

    In article <1144303494.696249@ftpsrv1>, "Vista" <>
    wrote:

    > "impossible" <> wrote in message
    > > New York Times
    > > April 5, 2006
    > >
    > > Apple Allows Windows on Its Machines
    > >
    > > By VIKAS BAJAJ
    > >
    > > Turning a decades-long rivalry on its head, Apple Computer introduced
    > > software today that it says will easily allow users to install Microsoft's
    > > Windows XP operating system on Apple's newest computers.
    > >

    > Cool, I might actually buy one when they release it, as it would make it far
    > more adaptable. I would far prefer to have a mac as part of my home
    > entertainment centre, than a PC.

    They _have_ released it; Boot Camp is available as a free download from
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/ .

    The cheapest way to get into this stuff is via a Mac mini Core Solo, for
    $1239, although personally I'd go for at least a Core Duo mini pumped
    up with a couple of gig of RAM - but if you're going to get a _nice_
    computer, then why not splurge on something like a 20inch iMac Core Duo,
    or wait until the big desktop Macs with a Conroe-based processor (or
    processors)... oh, I've just talked myself out of buying an Intel Mac
    for another six months.

    Perhaps I'm also waiting for Leopard, which I imagine will be able to do
    a fast user switch between simultaneously-running OSX and Windows
    instances; if you're not familiar with current Macs (as Fred Dagg
    all-too obviously isn't), they user switch with a cute animation that
    rotates one user off screen and rotates another one on.

    But see http://darwine.opendarwin.org/ for a much more attractive way of
    running Windows apps under OSX - at least for most Mac users, who in my
    observation find the full Windows GUI relatively crude and unappealing.

    If Apple "officialises" some version of Darwine, I'll finally be able to
    get rid of my PC.
    --
    Bystander
    Bystander, Apr 7, 2006