Apple acting badly.....mega censoring its "faithful"

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by thingy, Nov 22, 2007.

  1. thingy

    thingy Guest

    thingy, Nov 22, 2007

  2. thingy

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <>,
    thingy <> wrote:

    > http://www.tomsguide.com/us/2007/11/22/more_leopard_problems_plague_apple/
    >
    > It seems OSX 10.5 is having some bad issues....Apple users post to the
    > message boards about it and apple disables them and the threads....want
    > to chat to apple help on-line? they wont let you cache, save or print
    > the discussion....welcome to the land of the Mac...
    >
    > :/
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    Don't play WoW, and have had zero problems with the 4 machines I use
    with 10.5.1. Mind you I have never bothered with all the 3rd party hacks
    and tweaks.

    whoisthis, Nov 22, 2007

  3. thingy

    David Empson Guest

    thingy <> wrote:

    > http://www.tomsguide.com/us/2007/11/22/more_leopard_problems_plague_apple/
    >
    > It seems OSX 10.5 is having some bad issues....Apple users post to the
    > message boards about it and apple disables them and the threads....

    Apple have always censored their own discussion boards. This doesn't
    surprise me - I expect many companies do the same thing, especially if
    the content of the discussion board is indexed and can be searched
    through a site-wide facility.

    Easy solution: don't use Apple's discussion boards to discuss problems
    with 10.5, once Apple has decided to lower the curtain on a particular
    issue. There are plenty of alternatives, including ongoing dicussion on
    macintouch.com and macfixit.com, and I expect on AppleInsider's forums,
    MacRumors and others. Not to mention Usenet (e.g. comp.sys.mac.system),
    of course.

    ArsTechnica also has at least one article and subsequent comments about
    a problem with laptop keyboards which seems to have appeared since 10.5
    or late revisions of 10.4 (and it has happened to me twice under 10.5
    but not for several months prior to that on 10.4).

    > want to chat to apple help on-line? they wont let you cache, save or print
    > the discussion....welcome to the land of the Mac...

    I'm sure a screen shot will work fine if you really care, but that does
    seem excessive.

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, Nov 23, 2007
  4. thingy

    Donchano Guest

    On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 13:43:38 +1300, (David
    Empson) magnanimously proffered:

    >thingy <> wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.tomsguide.com/us/2007/11/22/more_leopard_problems_plague_apple/
    >>
    >> It seems OSX 10.5 is having some bad issues....Apple users post to the
    >> message boards about it and apple disables them and the threads....

    >Apple have always censored their own discussion boards. This doesn't
    >surprise me - I expect many companies do the same thing, especially if
    >the content of the discussion board is indexed and can be searched
    >through a site-wide facility.

    So do companies such as Jacobs Creek wines. Or at least they did a few
    years ago.

    After purchasing six bottles of their Reserve Shiraz and putting them
    down in ideal conditions for a year or so, I found that all but one
    bottle corked.

    So I went to their website only to find that their "feedback" section
    contained message after message praising their wines.

    The message I posted was rather less complimentary and when I checked
    back later that day, my message had been followed by three new
    messages complaining about a similar experience with the same vintage.

    By the next morning, all of those negative messages had been deleted,
    leaving only those praising the wine.

    So I phoned their head office in OZ and spoke to their communications
    officer. I described my experience and suggested that the company's
    self-serving censorship might make a good news story. But I was
    quickly assured that the deletion of the negative messages was simply
    a mistake and would I accept two cases of their best wine as the
    company's way of saying sorry.

    I'm happy to report none of the new bottles was corked.

    Donchano, Nov 23, 2007
  5. thingy

    thingy Guest

    David Empson wrote:
    > thingy <> wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.tomsguide.com/us/2007/11/22/more_leopard_problems_plague_apple/
    >>
    >> It seems OSX 10.5 is having some bad issues....Apple users post to the
    >> message boards about it and apple disables them and the threads....

    > Apple have always censored their own discussion boards. This doesn't
    > surprise me - I expect many companies do the same thing, especially if
    > the content of the discussion board is indexed and can be searched
    > through a site-wide facility.
    >
    > Easy solution: don't use Apple's discussion boards to discuss problems
    > with 10.5, once Apple has decided to lower the curtain on a particular
    > issue. There are plenty of alternatives, including ongoing dicussion on
    > macintouch.com and macfixit.com, and I expect on AppleInsider's forums,
    > MacRumors and others. Not to mention Usenet (e.g. comp.sys.mac.system),
    > of course.
    >
    > ArsTechnica also has at least one article and subsequent comments about
    > a problem with laptop keyboards which seems to have appeared since 10.5
    > or late revisions of 10.4 (and it has happened to me twice under 10.5
    > but not for several months prior to that on 10.4).
    >
    >> want to chat to apple help on-line? they wont let you cache, save or print
    >> the discussion....welcome to the land of the Mac...

    > I'm sure a screen shot will work fine if you really care, but that does
    > seem excessive.

    This year Sun invited me to comment on some of their software on their
    web site....I did so commenting that out of 4 identity/sso/ldap
    applications I tried I failed to get theirs to work and their support
    was un-able to help me get it going....apart from recommending I install
    solaris....yeah right....I notice my comments got wiped and in fact no
    one else commented either....at least positively otherwise I assume
    their comments would have been viewable....so either no one else
    commented, or the comments were all bad....

    Another large storage vendor also wanted us to be a reference site as we
    bought into their kit heavily.....a condition of this was we got a
    discount....We had some issues and commented that until they were sorted
    we would be un-happy to be put forward as a reference site....only to be
    told too late marketing has already released "our success story" and in
    fact we had "won" an award (an internal one from said vendor)..........

    The point is as you say, there are independent sites so if anyone thinks
    a vendor, vendor's white paper or vendors site in anyway shows anything
    but a glowing reference they are dreaming....credibility not....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Nov 23, 2007
  6. thingy

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh interweb Donchano typed:
    > On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 13:43:38 +1300, (David
    > Empson) magnanimously proffered:
    >
    >> thingy <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://www.tomsguide.com/us/2007/11/22/more_leopard_problems_plague_apple/
    >>>
    >>> It seems OSX 10.5 is having some bad issues....Apple users post to
    >>> the message boards about it and apple disables them and the
    >>> threads....

    >> Apple have always censored their own discussion boards. This doesn't
    >> surprise me - I expect many companies do the same thing, especially
    >> if the content of the discussion board is indexed and can be searched
    >> through a site-wide facility.

    > So do companies such as Jacobs Creek wines. Or at least they did a few
    > years ago.
    >
    > After purchasing six bottles of their Reserve Shiraz and putting them
    > down in ideal conditions for a year or so, I found that all but one
    > bottle corked.
    >
    > So I went to their website only to find that their "feedback" section
    > contained message after message praising their wines.
    >
    > The message I posted was rather less complimentary and when I checked
    > back later that day, my message had been followed by three new
    > messages complaining about a similar experience with the same vintage.
    >
    > By the next morning, all of those negative messages had been deleted,
    > leaving only those praising the wine.
    >
    > So I phoned their head office in OZ and spoke to their communications
    > officer. I described my experience and suggested that the company's
    > self-serving censorship might make a good news story. But I was
    > quickly assured that the deletion of the negative messages was simply
    > a mistake and would I accept two cases of their best wine as the
    > company's way of saying sorry.
    >
    > I'm happy to report none of the new bottles was corked.

    Ehhh, 30 pieces of silver, 24 bottles of wine... Some people sell themselves
    cheaply. <g>

    On the other hand, I guess the messages weren't going to be reposted so you
    might as well take the grift. Oh, sorry I meant *gift*. ;-)
    --
    TTFN,

    Shaun. (Mmmmm. Shiraz)

    ~misfit~, Nov 23, 2007
  7. thingy

    Donchano Guest

    On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 14:48:32 +1300, "~misfit~"
    <> magnanimously proffered:

    >On the other hand, I guess the messages weren't going to be reposted so you
    >might as well take the grift. Oh, sorry I meant *gift*. ;-)

    Never look a grift horse in the mouth ...

    Donchano, Nov 23, 2007
  8. thingy

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh interweb Donchano typed:
    > On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 14:48:32 +1300, "~misfit~"
    > <> magnanimously proffered:
    >
    >> On the other hand, I guess the messages weren't going to be reposted
    >> so you might as well take the grift. Oh, sorry I meant *gift*. ;-)

    > Never look a grift horse in the mouth ...

    LOL. Indeed. Nice score. Shame it came at the cost of sensorship though.
    Still, you weren't going to have a chance to say what you wanted on their
    forums. It seems that they had a bad batch of wine and, rather than have
    customers read that others with the same batch had problems and Jacob's
    Creek having to potentially replace/refund hundreds/thousands of
    bottles/cases they censored your post, then gave you 24 bottles when you
    rang them to complain.

    If people don't know about an existing problem they're far less likely to
    complain. Therefore it's the old "mushroom" theory put into practice.
    --
    TTFN,

    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Nov 23, 2007
  9. thingy

    Enkidu Guest

    Donchano wrote:
    > On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 13:43:38 +1300, (David
    > Empson) magnanimously proffered:
    >
    >> thingy <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://www.tomsguide.com/us/2007/11/22/more_leopard_problems_plague_apple/
    >>>
    >>> It seems OSX 10.5 is having some bad issues....Apple users post to the
    >>> message boards about it and apple disables them and the threads....

    >> Apple have always censored their own discussion boards. This doesn't
    >> surprise me - I expect many companies do the same thing, especially if
    >> the content of the discussion board is indexed and can be searched
    >> through a site-wide facility.

    > So do companies such as Jacobs Creek wines. Or at least they did a few
    > years ago.
    >
    > After purchasing six bottles of their Reserve Shiraz and putting them
    > down in ideal conditions for a year or so, I found that all but one
    > bottle corked.
    >
    > So I went to their website only to find that their "feedback" section
    > contained message after message praising their wines.
    >
    > The message I posted was rather less complimentary and when I checked
    > back later that day, my message had been followed by three new
    > messages complaining about a similar experience with the same vintage.
    >
    > By the next morning, all of those negative messages had been deleted,
    > leaving only those praising the wine.
    >
    > So I phoned their head office in OZ and spoke to their communications
    > officer. I described my experience and suggested that the company's
    > self-serving censorship might make a good news story. But I was
    > quickly assured that the deletion of the negative messages was simply
    > a mistake and would I accept two cases of their best wine as the
    > company's way of saying sorry.
    >
    > I'm happy to report none of the new bottles was corked.

    You took their BRIBE? Good on yer!

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Nov 23, 2007
  10. On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 14:10:14 +1300, Donchano wrote:

    > By the next morning, all of those negative messages had been deleted,
    > leaving only those praising the wine.

    That is very standard marketing practise. They do not have anything on
    their website.

    Surely you should have known that?

    --
    Jonathan Walker