appearance matching

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Dale, Jul 7, 2013.

  1. Dale

    Dale Guest

    the ICC www.color.org currently uses CIE instrumental color matching
    unless you opt to use the perceptual reference medium gamut in which
    there is some attempt at appearance matching for certain applications

    I could be wrong, it has been almost 20 years since I have been in the
    business

    anyways

    the only two workflows/use-cases I can think where you would want
    instrumental color matching are:
    1) instrumental applications
    2) input appearance same as output appearance

    why not use CIECAM and allow for workflows/use-cases in which the input
    and output have different appearance criteria?

    you could allow the user to select the appearances and from there be
    given appearance matching profiles to choose from

    I know there is such a thing as "good enough" matching and perfect
    matching and that sometimes "good enough" matching is "good enough" for
    quality/price/time considerations

    --
    Dale

    Dale, Jul 7, 2013

  2. Dale

    Dale Guest

    On 07/06/2013 08:28 PM, Dale wrote:
    > the ICC www.color.org currently uses CIE instrumental color matching
    > unless you opt to use the perceptual reference medium gamut in which
    > there is some attempt at appearance matching for certain applications
    >
    > I could be wrong, it has been almost 20 years since I have been in the
    > business
    >
    > anyways
    >
    > the only two workflows/use-cases I can think where you would want
    > instrumental color matching are:
    > 1) instrumental applications
    > 2) input appearance same as output appearance
    >
    > why not use CIECAM and allow for workflows/use-cases in which the input
    > and output have different appearance criteria?
    >
    > you could allow the user to select the appearances and from there be
    > given appearance matching profiles to choose from
    >
    > I know there is such a thing as "good enough" matching and perfect
    > matching and that sometimes "good enough" matching is "good enough" for
    > quality/price/time considerations

    there is also the issue that CIE only has 2 and 10 degree observers, right?

    --
    Dale

    Dale, Jul 8, 2013