    Some months went by an no posts appeared on it so I tried posting to it and
    also nothing appeared, anyone know what the deal is with that?

    TIA.
    ian field, Jan 26, 2007

  2. On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 22:34:27 +0000, ian field wrote:

    > Sometime toward the end of last year OE prompted me that there was a new
    > newsgroup "alt.binaries".
    >
    > Some months went by an no posts appeared on it so I tried posting to it and
    > also nothing appeared, anyone know what the deal is with that?

    You have been ostracised by that group. HTH
    You.are.a.fuckwit!, Jan 26, 2007

  3. ian field

    Brian G Guest

    ian field wrote:
    > Sometime toward the end of last year OE prompted me that there was a
    > new newsgroup "alt.binaries".
    >
    > Some months went by an no posts appeared on it so I tried posting to
    > it and also nothing appeared, anyone know what the deal is with that?
    >
    > TIA.

    If it's the alt.binaries that I have just tried, there are some 444,251 post
    sat in there!
    Brian G, Jan 26, 2007
  4. ian field

    ian field Guest

    "Brian G" <> wrote in message
    > ian field wrote:
    >> Sometime toward the end of last year OE prompted me that there was a
    >> new newsgroup "alt.binaries".
    >>
    >> Some months went by an no posts appeared on it so I tried posting to
    >> it and also nothing appeared, anyone know what the deal is with that?
    >>
    >> TIA.

    > If it's the alt.binaries that I have just tried, there are some 444,251
    > post sat in there!

    Could it be using some encoding that Outhouse Excuse can't see?
    ian field, Jan 26, 2007
  5. On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 22:47:47 +0000, ian field wrote:

    > "Brian G" <> wrote in message
    >> ian field wrote:
    >>> Sometime toward the end of last year OE prompted me that there was a
    >>> new newsgroup "alt.binaries".
    >>>
    >>> Some months went by an no posts appeared on it so I tried posting to
    >>> it and also nothing appeared, anyone know what the deal is with that?
    >>>
    >>> TIA.

    >> If it's the alt.binaries that I have just tried, there are some 444,251
    >> post sat in there!
    >>

    > Could it be using some encoding that Outhouse Excuse can't see?

    Yes. Special ostracism encoding.
    You.are.a.fuckwit!, Jan 26, 2007
  6. ian field

    ian field Guest

    "You.are.a.fuckwit!" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 22:47:47 +0000, ian field wrote:
    >

    >> "Brian G" <> wrote in message

    >>> If it's the alt.binaries that I have just tried, there are some 444,251
    >>> post sat in there!
    >>>

    >> Could it be using some encoding that Outhouse Excuse can't see?

    > Yes. Special ostracism encoding.

    And how exactly would the members of a group I've never succeeded in posting
    to know who I was to do that?

    Maybe the fuckwit is you!
    ian field, Jan 26, 2007
  7. ian field

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 22:47:47 GMT, "ian field" <>
    wrote:

    >Could it be using some encoding that Outhouse Excuse can't see?

    No.

    Check with your News Provider.
    Evan Platt, Jan 26, 2007
  8. On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 22:52:55 +0000, ian field wrote:

    > "You.are.a.fuckwit!" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 22:47:47 +0000, ian field wrote:
    >>

    >>> "Brian G" <> wrote in message

    >>> Could it be using some encoding that Outhouse Excuse can't see?

    >> Yes. Special ostracism encoding.
    >>

    > And how exactly would the members of a group I've never succeeded in posting
    > to know who I was to do that?

    I'm really sorry, Ian, but they know who *you* are.

    > Maybe the fuckwit is you!

    Maybe, but it's you who has been ostracised. Don't blame me!
    You.are.a.fuckwit!, Jan 26, 2007
  9. ian field

    Mike Easter Guest

    ian field wrote:
    > Sometime toward the end of last year OE prompted me that there was a
    > new newsgroup "alt.binaries".
    >
    > Some months went by an no posts appeared on it so I tried posting to
    > it and also nothing appeared, anyone know what the deal is with that?

    The way to troubleshoot newsagent vs newsserver vs newsgroup issues is
    to have an alternate news account.

    Then you check the group in newsserver B, where newsserver A is your ntl
    newsserver, and newsserver B is the one which you apparently don't have
    yet.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jan 26, 2007
  10. On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 22:34:27 GMT, "ian field" <>
    wrote:

    >Sometime toward the end of last year OE prompted me that there was a new
    >newsgroup "alt.binaries".
    >
    >Some months went by an no posts appeared on it so I tried posting to it and
    >also nothing appeared, anyone know what the deal is with that?

    Is there a rule in the NTL agreement that states all it's users must
    be fuckwits?
    Carnival Midway Hawker, Jan 26, 2007
  11. Carnival Midway Hawker aka l in
    <> on 1/26/2007 at 6:28:45 PM
    in 24hoursupport.helpdesk after much thought,came up with this jewel:

    > On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 22:34:27 GMT, "ian field" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Sometime toward the end of last year OE prompted me that there was
    > > a new newsgroup "alt.binaries".
    > >
    > > Some months went by an no posts appeared on it so I tried posting
    > > to it and also nothing appeared, anyone know what the deal is with
    > > that?

    > Is there a rule in the NTL agreement that states all it's users must
    > be fuckwits?

    Sec 4:20

    --
    Playing Nice on Usenet:
    My Pages:
    What's in a Name?, Jan 27, 2007
  12. ian field

    ian field Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 22:47:47 GMT, "ian field" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Could it be using some encoding that Outhouse Excuse can't see?

    > No.
    >
    > Check with your News Provider.

    Thanks, that thought occurred to me - maybe my ISP news server is blocking
    it, is the content of that group likely to make that a possibility?
    ian field, Jan 27, 2007
  13. "ian field" <> wrote in

    > Sometime toward the end of last year OE prompted me
    > that there was a new newsgroup "alt.binaries".
    >
    > Some months went by an no posts appeared on it so I
    > tried posting to it and also nothing appeared, anyone
    > know what the deal is with that?
    >
    > TIA.

    >>> [...]

    "ian field" <> wrote in

    > Thanks, that thought occurred to me - maybe my ISP news server is
    > blocking it, is the content of that group likely to make that a
    > possibility?

    If your ISP news server is otherwise displaying binaries, it shouldn't make
    any difference to them, especially inasmuch as it was *their* news server
    which notified you of the new group.

    You may just need to "reload" the headers for that group. Do that in OE by
    accessing the group, in the left-hand pane, highlight the group and right-
    click on it > Properties > "Local File" tab > "Delete" button > then "Reset"
    button > then "Apply" and "OK" out of the dialog. Now, click first on the
    newserver to [re-]expand to the subscribed newsgroups; then click on the
    newsgroup and it should load you some headers, if the newsgroup is being
    accessed on their news server.

    You could also un-subscribe from the group, then try to re-subscribe, and
    that could be elucidating. Sometimes, especially if there's been extensive
    server maintenance on my ISP's newspuddle, "reloading" the headers is the
    resolution. I've never had it happen on a premium server.

    Your provider possibly could have included the group on its servers, then
    removed it for [whatever] policy reasons... Only they could answer inquiries
    in that vein.

    OE is not the best client for handling binaries... But there should be enough
    text traffic going on to let you know if you're accessing the group or not.

    Good luck.

    --

    "I am neither a racist nor am I biased!
    Statistics would appear racist and biased.
    Bucky Breeder, Jan 27, 2007
  14. ian field

    > On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 22:52:55 +0000, ian field wrote:
    >

    >> "You.are.a.fuckwit!" <> wrote in message

    >>> Yes. Special ostracism encoding.
    >>>

    >> And how exactly would the members of a group I've never succeeded in
    >> posting
    >> to know who I was to do that?

    > I'm really sorry, Ian, but they know who *you* are.
    >
    >> Maybe the fuckwit is you!

    > Maybe, but it's you who has been ostracised. Don't blame me!

    Run along now, it must be nearly time for your hourly crack pipe.
    ian field, Jan 27, 2007
  15. ian field

    ian field Guest

    "Bucky Breeder" <> wrote in
    message news:Xns98C56ED6D45EDWeeZurD@216.151.153.13...
    > "ian field" <> wrote in
    >>
    >> Sometime toward the end of last year OE prompted me
    >> that there was a new newsgroup "alt.binaries".
    >>
    >> Some months went by an no posts appeared on it so I
    >> tried posting to it and also nothing appeared, anyone
    >> know what the deal is with that?
    >>
    >> TIA.

    > "ian field" <> wrote in
    >>
    >> Thanks, that thought occurred to me - maybe my ISP news server is
    >> blocking it, is the content of that group likely to make that a
    >> possibility?

    > If your ISP news server is otherwise displaying binaries, it shouldn't
    > make
    > any difference to them, especially inasmuch as it was *their* news server
    > which notified you of the new group.

    Makes sense.

    > You may just need to "reload" the headers for that group. Do that in OE
    > by
    > accessing the group, in the left-hand pane, highlight the group and right-
    > click on it > Properties > "Local File" tab > "Delete" button > then
    > "Reset"
    > button > then "Apply" and "OK" out of the dialog. Now, click first on the
    > newserver to [re-]expand to the subscribed newsgroups; then click on the
    > newsgroup and it should load you some headers, if the newsgroup is being
    > accessed on their news server.

    Tried that but it didn't help.

    > You could also un-subscribe from the group, then try to re-subscribe, and
    > that could be elucidating. Sometimes, especially if there's been
    > extensive
    > server maintenance on my ISP's newspuddle, "reloading" the headers is the
    > resolution. I've never had it happen on a premium server.

    That didn't work either.

    > Your provider possibly could have included the group on its servers, then
    > removed it for [whatever] policy reasons... Only they could answer
    > inquiries
    > in that vein.

    That's possible, but I would have thought there would have been time for
    some posts to have been visible before it was pulled, the view pane has been
    empty from the get go.

    > OE is not the best client for handling binaries... But there should be
    > enough
    > text traffic going on to let you know if you're accessing the group or
    > not.

    OE doesn't handle multipart attachments at all well and doesn't decode yEnc
    at all, but those are the only problems I know of with any of the binaries I
    use regularly.

    ian field, Jan 27, 2007