    c) Local phone GPS information with date and time to be included,
    perhaps in burst mode (or otherwise embedded) as a part of the recording
    and upload archiving.

    Robert Baer, Feb 27, 2014

  2. Robert Baer

    Paul Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:
    > Am looking for a programmer; suggestions welcome.
    >
    > I have in mind a specialized "app" for cellphones.
    > Those cellphones chosen (20) have the Android OS; most ver 4.x and two
    > ver 2.3.x.
    > Ideally, one app would run in any of the OSes mentioned, so that
    > multiple version writing and support would not be required.
    > Here is the general outline:
    > a) When running, it would continuously capture like a video camera, and
    > record sound and video to a local memory; hopefully to a removable
    > module (to be used for archiving).
    > b) It would also, simultaneously and continuously upload the same
    > information "to the cloud" or other safe and secure location.
    > c) Local phone GPS information with date and time to be included,
    > perhaps in burst mode (or otherwise embedded) as a part of the recording
    > and upload archiving.

    Try a search like "android webcam surveillance" and see what pops up.

    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/3-effective-cell-phone-surveillance-apps/

    That's going to be hard on the batteries, so the logging won't
    last long. At least, for a continuous video feed. Data compression
    of the video, will cost you some power.

    Hiring a programmer, gives you control over the code, but
    there is likely some app already out there that does most
    of what you seek.

    Depending on the location and available power, you may be
    better off with an IP camera with PTZ on it. If you've ever played
    with video, you'll find it remarkably inadequate for identifying
    perpetrators, unless you can zoom in. And optical zoom is a lot
    better than digital zoom.

    Paul

    Paul, Feb 27, 2014

  3. "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message
    > Am looking for a programmer; suggestions welcome.
    >
    > I have in mind a specialized "app" for cellphones.
    > Those cellphones chosen (20) have the Android OS; most ver 4.x and two
    > ver 2.3.x.
    > Ideally, one app would run in any of the OSes mentioned, so that
    > multiple version writing and support would not be required.
    > Here is the general outline:
    > a) When running, it would continuously capture like a video camera, and
    > record sound and video to a local memory; hopefully to a removable module
    > (to be used for archiving).
    > b) It would also, simultaneously and continuously upload the same
    > information "to the cloud" or other safe and secure location.
    > c) Local phone GPS information with date and time to be included, perhaps
    > in burst mode (or otherwise embedded) as a part of the recording and
    > upload archiving.

    Personally, I'd not bother with any version below 4.0. Android almost
    requires the version upgrades, and any phone that does not support the
    upgrade is not one that the owner needs to do very much anyhow.

    I'm not sure, but it seems on the surface that such an app will be
    data-intensive. If the user does not have unlimited data, then he might not
    be interested in what you are trying to accomplish, and if he (or she) needs
    a video then he can simply start his camera and take the video clip of a
    period that is meaningful.

    Jeff Strickland, Feb 27, 2014
  4. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Paul wrote:
    > Robert Baer wrote:
    >> Am looking for a programmer; suggestions welcome.
    >>
    >> I have in mind a specialized "app" for cellphones.
    >> Those cellphones chosen (20) have the Android OS; most ver 4.x and two
    >> ver 2.3.x.
    >> Ideally, one app would run in any of the OSes mentioned, so that
    >> multiple version writing and support would not be required.
    >> Here is the general outline:
    >> a) When running, it would continuously capture like a video camera,
    >> and record sound and video to a local memory; hopefully to a removable
    >> module (to be used for archiving).
    >> b) It would also, simultaneously and continuously upload the same
    >> information "to the cloud" or other safe and secure location.
    >> c) Local phone GPS information with date and time to be included,
    >> perhaps in burst mode (or otherwise embedded) as a part of the
    >> recording and upload archiving.

    > Try a search like "android webcam surveillance" and see what pops up.
    >
    > http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/3-effective-cell-phone-surveillance-apps/
    >
    > That's going to be hard on the batteries, so the logging won't
    > last long. At least, for a continuous video feed. Data compression
    > of the video, will cost you some power.
    >
    > Hiring a programmer, gives you control over the code, but
    > there is likely some app already out there that does most
    > of what you seek.
    >
    > Depending on the location and available power, you may be
    > better off with an IP camera with PTZ on it. If you've ever played
    > with video, you'll find it remarkably inadequate for identifying
    > perpetrators, unless you can zoom in. And optical zoom is a lot
    > better than digital zoom.
    >
    > Paul

    I know that there are a fair number of Android apps for recording.
    I dare say that there are NONE that start a recording with (voice
    and/or video) GPS location, date and time.
    Is it presumed that an existing APP can be modified without
    (commented) code source? If the code is "simple", then I would say
    "perhaps".

    If use of no or minimal (video) data compression allows better
    battery life, then that is acceptable (JPG is the pits as it destroys
    view-ability; maybe PNG has a non-destructive compression scheme.

    Selectable semi-auto stabilizing, with selectable centering on
    someone may be useful; no fancy phone has optical zoom (too bad).

    It seems that (almost?) all of the PTZ cameras are useless: anchored
    to a wall/building. Control remotely is not an option for the intended use.
    However, there was a non-match "hit" that looks rather interesting:
    https://www.dropcam.com/?gclid=COH0rcD88rwCFY6Rfgodd0MA6Q
    ...it even has a Google Android APP; what is missing is GPS and the
    preamble ID mentioned above.

    Robert Baer, Mar 2, 2014
  5. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Jeff Strickland wrote:

    > "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message
    >> Am looking for a programmer; suggestions welcome.
    >>
    >> I have in mind a specialized "app" for cellphones.
    >> Those cellphones chosen (20) have the Android OS; most ver 4.x and two
    >> ver 2.3.x.
    >> Ideally, one app would run in any of the OSes mentioned, so that
    >> multiple version writing and support would not be required.
    >> Here is the general outline:
    >> a) When running, it would continuously capture like a video camera,
    >> and record sound and video to a local memory; hopefully to a removable
    >> module (to be used for archiving).
    >> b) It would also, simultaneously and continuously upload the same
    >> information "to the cloud" or other safe and secure location.
    >> c) Local phone GPS information with date and time to be included,
    >> perhaps in burst mode (or otherwise embedded) as a part of the
    >> recording and upload archiving.

    > Personally, I'd not bother with any version below 4.0. Android almost
    > requires the version upgrades, and any phone that does not support the
    > upgrade is not one that the owner needs to do very much anyhow.
    >
    > I'm not sure, but it seems on the surface that such an app will be
    > data-intensive. If the user does not have unlimited data, then he might
    > not be interested in what you are trying to accomplish, and if he (or
    > she) needs a video then he can simply start his camera and take the
    > video clip of a period that is meaningful.

    Check; he will start the APP for a video clip, that would last about
    5 minutes.
    What is desired is at the start, the GPS location, date and time be
    recorded (video, audio, or both). Then it records (on removable SD card)
    until stopped.
    It is a big plus to have that recording to be simultaneously sent to
    a remote,safe site.
    That way, if the camera is mangled, and/or the SD card is
    compromised, reality is preserved.

    Robert Baer, Mar 2, 2014
  6. Robert Baer

    Paul Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:
    > Paul wrote:
    >> Robert Baer wrote:
    >>> Am looking for a programmer; suggestions welcome.
    >>>
    >>> I have in mind a specialized "app" for cellphones.
    >>> Those cellphones chosen (20) have the Android OS; most ver 4.x and two
    >>> ver 2.3.x.
    >>> Ideally, one app would run in any of the OSes mentioned, so that
    >>> multiple version writing and support would not be required.
    >>> Here is the general outline:
    >>> a) When running, it would continuously capture like a video camera,
    >>> and record sound and video to a local memory; hopefully to a removable
    >>> module (to be used for archiving).
    >>> b) It would also, simultaneously and continuously upload the same
    >>> information "to the cloud" or other safe and secure location.
    >>> c) Local phone GPS information with date and time to be included,
    >>> perhaps in burst mode (or otherwise embedded) as a part of the
    >>> recording and upload archiving.

    >> Try a search like "android webcam surveillance" and see what pops up.
    >>
    >> http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/3-effective-cell-phone-surveillance-apps/
    >>
    >> That's going to be hard on the batteries, so the logging won't
    >> last long. At least, for a continuous video feed. Data compression
    >> of the video, will cost you some power.
    >>
    >> Hiring a programmer, gives you control over the code, but
    >> there is likely some app already out there that does most
    >> of what you seek.
    >>
    >> Depending on the location and available power, you may be
    >> better off with an IP camera with PTZ on it. If you've ever played
    >> with video, you'll find it remarkably inadequate for identifying
    >> perpetrators, unless you can zoom in. And optical zoom is a lot
    >> better than digital zoom.
    >>
    >> Paul

    > I know that there are a fair number of Android apps for recording.
    > I dare say that there are NONE that start a recording with (voice
    > and/or video) GPS location, date and time.
    > Is it presumed that an existing APP can be modified without
    > (commented) code source? If the code is "simple", then I would say
    > "perhaps".
    >
    > If use of no or minimal (video) data compression allows better battery
    > life, then that is acceptable (JPG is the pits as it destroys
    > view-ability; maybe PNG has a non-destructive compression scheme.
    >
    > Selectable semi-auto stabilizing, with selectable centering on someone
    > may be useful; no fancy phone has optical zoom (too bad).
    >
    > It seems that (almost?) all of the PTZ cameras are useless: anchored
    > to a wall/building. Control remotely is not an option for the intended use.
    > However, there was a non-match "hit" that looks rather interesting:
    > https://www.dropcam.com/?gclid=COH0rcD88rwCFY6Rfgodd0MA6Q
    > ..it even has a Google Android APP; what is missing is GPS and the
    > preamble ID mentioned above.

    Maybe you could tinker with something like this.

    "android-scripting"

    http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/

    If you could call an application from the script,
    perhaps you could write a separate file with GPS info,
    then do the video recording with an existing application.

    Paul

    Paul, Mar 2, 2014
  7. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Paul wrote:
    > Robert Baer wrote:
    >> Paul wrote:

    >>> Try a search like "android webcam surveillance" and see what pops up.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/3-effective-cell-phone-surveillance-apps/
    >>>
    >>> That's going to be hard on the batteries, so the logging won't
    >>> last long. At least, for a continuous video feed. Data compression
    >>> of the video, will cost you some power.
    >>>
    >>> Hiring a programmer, gives you control over the code, but
    >>> there is likely some app already out there that does most
    >>> of what you seek.
    >>>
    >>> Depending on the location and available power, you may be
    >>> better off with an IP camera with PTZ on it. If you've ever played
    >>> with video, you'll find it remarkably inadequate for identifying
    >>> perpetrators, unless you can zoom in. And optical zoom is a lot
    >>> better than digital zoom.
    >>>
    >>> Paul

    >> I know that there are a fair number of Android apps for recording.
    >> I dare say that there are NONE that start a recording with (voice
    >> and/or video) GPS location, date and time.
    >> Is it presumed that an existing APP can be modified without
    >> (commented) code source? If the code is "simple", then I would say
    >> "perhaps".
    >>
    >> If use of no or minimal (video) data compression allows better battery
    >> life, then that is acceptable (JPG is the pits as it destroys
    >> view-ability; maybe PNG has a non-destructive compression scheme.
    >>
    >> Selectable semi-auto stabilizing, with selectable centering on someone
    >> may be useful; no fancy phone has optical zoom (too bad).
    >>
    >> It seems that (almost?) all of the PTZ cameras are useless: anchored
    >> to a wall/building. Control remotely is not an option for the intended
    >> use.
    >> However, there was a non-match "hit" that looks rather interesting:
    >> https://www.dropcam.com/?gclid=COH0rcD88rwCFY6Rfgodd0MA6Q
    >> ..it even has a Google Android APP; what is missing is GPS and the
    >> preamble ID mentioned above.
    >>

    > Maybe you could tinker with something like this.
    >
    > "android-scripting"
    >
    > http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/
    >
    > If you could call an application from the script,
    > perhaps you could write a separate file with GPS info,
    > then do the video recording with an existing application.
    >
    > Paul

    THAT is a boss idea; thanks.

    Robert Baer, Mar 3, 2014