    game sometimes locks up. Juno.com sometimes locks up.

    What could be the problem?
    Sean
    Sean Cleary, Oct 31, 2004

  2. "Sean Cleary" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi,
    > I am having trouble with my machine.
    >
    > I have run spybot, and adaware and have Norton System works and have
    > used the system works tools and anti-virus stuff. I have used msconfig
    > to the best of my ablility.
    >
    > Symptoms: when shutting down, a no-name application shows up to be
    > seperately shut down (sometimes). The machine runs slow. The Hearts
    > game sometimes locks up. Juno.com sometimes locks up.
    >
    > What could be the problem?

    Try running in Safe Mode. If the no-name application does not halt the
    machine from shutting down, then you know it's something that's loading at
    startup time.
    Patrick Michael, Oct 31, 2004

  3. Sean Cleary

    me Guest

    what OS are you using? How long has it been doing this? Are you running
    any type of software or hardware firewall?

    me, Oct 31, 2004
  4. Sean Cleary

    Sean Cleary Guest

    "Patrick Michael" <> wrote in message news:<BI7hd.36565$_g6.19646@okepread03>...
    > "Sean Cleary" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > > I am having trouble with my machine.
    > >
    > > I have run spybot, and adaware and have Norton System works and have
    > > used the system works tools and anti-virus stuff. I have used msconfig
    > > to the best of my ablility.
    > >
    > > Symptoms: when shutting down, a no-name application shows up to be
    > > seperately shut down (sometimes). The machine runs slow. The Hearts
    > > game sometimes locks up. Juno.com sometimes locks up.
    > >
    > > What could be the problem?

    > Try running in Safe Mode. If the no-name application does not halt the
    > machine from shutting down, then you know it's something that's loading at
    > startup time.

    I hope that there is more advice, but I will try yours.
    Thank you,
    Sean
    Sean Cleary, Oct 31, 2004
  5. "Sean Cleary" <> wrote in message

    > I hope that there is more advice, but I will try yours.
    > Thank you,
    > Sean

    You have to isolate the problem before you can fix it. Otherwise, you're
    just doing blind trial and error, which is not terribly efficient. If your
    computer still hangs in safe mode, then you at least know it's not something
    that's loading at startup. If not, then it could be something wrong with
    Windows. However, I have a feeling it's a spyware-related issue.
    Patrick Michael, Nov 1, 2004
  6. Sean Cleary

    Sean Cleary Guest

    "me" <> wrote in message news:<%39hd.23318$>...
    > what OS are you using?

    Win98

    How long has it been doing this?

    At least a few weeks, got bad enough to bug me this week.

    Are you running
    > any type of software or hardware firewall

    not really, but not DSL just dial up. And the aforementioned Norton anti-virus.

    Sean

    Sean Cleary, Nov 1, 2004
  7. Sean Cleary

    Sean Cleary Guest

    "me" <> wrote in message news:<%39hd.23318$>...
    > what OS are you using? How long has it been doing this? Are you running
    > any type of software or hardware firewall?
    > "Sean Cleary" <> wrote in message

    GRUB boot loader which made getting into any other than standard mode
    for windows bootup hard. I will try the msconfig one line at a time
    boot sequence.

    But the problem does not show if the machine is immediately rebooted
    after a boot.

    Sean
    Sean Cleary, Nov 1, 2004
  8. Sean Cleary

    Kenny Guest

    Run both SpyBot and AdAware to check for spyware, both are free.

    Kenny

    Kenny, Nov 1, 2004
  9. Sean Cleary

    Kenny Guest

    Sorry, not thinking right today after celebrating Halloween last night.

    Kenny

    Kenny, Nov 1, 2004
  10. "Kenny" <> wrote in message
    > Sorry, not thinking right today after celebrating Halloween last night.
    >
    > Kenny
    >
    > "Kenny" <> wrote in message
    > > Run both SpyBot and AdAware to check for spyware, both are free.
    > > http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
    > > http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
    > >
    > > Kenny
    > >
    > > "Sean Cleary" <> wrote in message
    > > > "me" <> wrote in message

    > > running
    > > > >
    > > > GRUB boot loader which made getting into any other than standard mode
    > > > for windows bootup hard. I will try the msconfig one line at a time
    > > > boot sequence.
    > > >
    > > > But the problem does not show if the machine is immediately rebooted
    > > > after a boot.

    use this tool to identify running processes..

    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

    works like a charm...

    --
    <B0N3H3@D>