    from winxp?

    Cheers

    Matthew

    Matthew, May 17, 2005

  2. Matthew

    JC Guest

    In article <XPcie.516$>,
    says...
    > What's a free app I can use to see what processes are accessing the internet
    > from winxp?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Matthew

    Is this what you are looking for?
    http://www.mwti.net/antivirus/viewtcp.asp

    JC, May 17, 2005

  3. Matthew

    CSE Guest

    On Tue, 17 May 2005 14:39:59 +1200, "Matthew" <> wrote:

    >What's a free app I can use to see what processes are accessing the internet
    >from winxp?
    >
    >Cheers
    >
    >Matthew

    The Kerio firewall does that..

    CSE, May 17, 2005
  4. Matthew

    Mark C Guest

    Mark C, May 17, 2005
  5. Matthew

    Me Guest

    wrote:

    >What's a free app I can use to see what processes are accessing the internet
    >from winxp?
    >
    >Cheers
    >
    >Matthew

    Someone should write an add-on for XP firewall...

    Me, May 17, 2005
  6. Matthew wrote:
    > What's a free app I can use to see what processes are accessing the internet
    > from winxp?

    "active ports"
    www.dave.net.nz/files/
    it should be there in a min or so.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 17, 2005
  7. Matthew

    CSE Guest

    On Tue, 17 May 2005 15:17:32 +1200, Me <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 17 May 2005 14:39:59 +1200, "Matthew" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>What's a free app I can use to see what processes are accessing the internet
    >>from winxp?
    >>
    >>Cheers
    >>
    >>Matthew

    >Someone should write an add-on for XP firewall...

    No one in his right mind uses the XP Firewall.

    It does not offer Outwould protection..

    CSE, May 17, 2005
  8. In article <XPcie.516$>,
    says...
    > What's a free app I can use to see what processes are accessing the internet
    > from winxp?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Matthew

    Sygate Personal Firewall - set the lower panel to show connections and
    it will show everything that is listening or connecting (and on which
    port) on your computer; services as well as apps.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, May 17, 2005
  9. In article <>,
    CSE <> wrote:

    >It does not offer Outwould protection..

    ^^^^^^^^

    I'm trying to think what actual word has the closest Hamming distance to
    that, and the best I can come up with is "Outworld" ...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 19, 2005
  10. Matthew

    Ron McNulty Guest

    > I'm trying to think what actual word has the closest Hamming distance to

    Gosh Lawrence, I think an explanation of "Hamming distance" might be in
    order. Even the better-educated on this forum are likely to think it has
    something to do with Shortland Street acting standards.

    Regards

    Ron

    Ron McNulty, May 19, 2005
  11. In article <Y_Zie.1327$>,

    <http://www.fuckinggoogleit.com/?query=hamming%20distance>

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, May 20, 2005
  12. External V Internal Modem

    Recently I used a loan external modem with an WinXP-selected
    driver and found that my connection times were very much quick that
    the internal Lucent Win modem I'd been using previously.

    I've reverted to the internal Lucent modem and using
    WinXP-selected driver the connection times are better than those
    achieved with the drivers supplied with the modem, but still not as
    good as the times with the external modem.

    Why would there be such a major difference in connection speed
    between the two modems.

    Can I add any commands to the internal modem to facilitate
    quicker connection times?

    lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz, Jul 26, 2005
  13. Matthew

    colinco Guest

    Re: External V Internal Modem

    In article lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz says...

    > Can I add any commands to the internal modem to facilitate
    > quicker connection times?

    What ISP? Are you talking time to connect or speed once connected? Is it
    a V.90 v's V.92 thing assuming that the external is using V.90 rather
    than v.34? You can force the Lucent to negotiate a particular protocol
    and max speed.

    colinco, Jul 26, 2005
  14. Matthew

    XPD Guest

    <lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz> wrote in message
    > Recently I used a loan external modem with an WinXP-selected
    > driver and found that my connection times were very much quick that
    > the internal Lucent Win modem I'd been using previously.

    Lucent Win Modems (AKA Softmodems) are software based and reply on your CPU
    to help them along whereas an external modem (serial, not USB generally) is
    hardware based and does all its own work freeing up your CPU. So if you are
    running fairly CPU intensive apps on your system with a Soft modem youll
    find the performance drops with the modem.

    One trick I learnt while on the IHUG helldesk, was to drop the users desktop
    resolution to 800x600, this seemed to improve a lot of peoples connections,
    however at a smaller screen obviously. Suspect those users were using
    onboard video with shared RAM etc....

    Ive still got a couple of external serial modems for clients who are on
    older systems and having connection issues. If you want an external modem,
    make sure its Rockwell ACF/ACFII based, they kick butt :)

    XPD, Jul 26, 2005
  15. Matthew

    colinco Guest

    Re: External V Internal Modem

    In article XPD says...
    > Lucent Win Modems (AKA Softmodems) are software based and reply on your CPU
    > to help them along whereas an external modem (serial, not USB generally) is
    > hardware based and does all its own work freeing up your CPU. So if you are
    > running fairly CPU intensive apps on your system with a Soft modem youll
    > find the performance drops with the modem.

    So long as it has a hardware DSP Lucent claim that their modem can use
    less CPU time than the serial port needed to run an external modem.

    colinco, Jul 26, 2005
  16. Re: External V Internal Modem

    >What ISP?

    Paradise

    >Are you talking time to connect or speed once connected?

    Time to connect
    > Is it a V.90 v's V.92 thing

    V92

    > assuming that the external is using V.90 rather than v.34?

    Don't know : Dynalink V1456 VQE-R Data/Fax/Voice

    >You can force the Lucent to negotiate a particular protocol
    >and max speed.

    How ?

    lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz, Jul 26, 2005
  17. Matthew

    Tim Guest

    Re: External V Internal Modem

    avoid win modems and usb modems like the plague.
    Every new OS version (regardless of OS) will give you grief finding drivers
    that are reliable for win modems and USB modems.

    An external modem that is 'AT' compatible will always work to some degree
    with default drivers.

    Some of the hardware based Lucent modems are good (so long as they are not
    win modems). In general, the rockwell modems are excellent. If you want a
    good external modem then get one of the dynalinks.

    As for connection times, you could spend hours on this and improve it only a
    second or two, so is it worth the effort?

    - Tim

    Tim, Jul 26, 2005
  18. Matthew

    colinco Guest