    Any ideas would be much appreciated.

    cheers

    martin
    Martin, Aug 9, 2006

  2. In article <ebbn22$82h$>, "Martin" <> wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >Has anybody else seen this? Client sends HTML email with apostrophe
    >characters (eg. How's) and when the email is replied to the original text
    >changes to HowR17;s
    >
    >I'm assuming these are some sort of HTML codes but google doesn't give me
    >any joy on this one!!
    >
    >Any ideas would be much appreciated.

    Um ... yet another really good reason to send email as text and not html ?
    :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Aug 9, 2006

  3. Martin

    Kent Smith Guest

    "Martin" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Has anybody else seen this? Client sends HTML email with apostrophe
    > characters (eg. How's) and when the email is replied to the original text
    > changes to HowR17;s
    >
    > I'm assuming these are some sort of HTML codes but google doesn't give me
    > any joy on this one!!
    >
    > Any ideas would be much appreciated.

    Google found someone else with your prob:
    http://tinyurl.com/hhm32

    Maybe post a reply to see if they managed to fix it.

    -KENT
    Kent Smith, Aug 10, 2006
  4. Martin

    Richard Guest

    Kent Smith wrote:
    > "Martin" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Has anybody else seen this? Client sends HTML email with apostrophe
    >> characters (eg. How's) and when the email is replied to the original text
    >> changes to HowR17;s
    >>
    >> I'm assuming these are some sort of HTML codes but google doesn't give me
    >> any joy on this one!!
    >>
    >> Any ideas would be much appreciated.
    >>

    > Google found someone else with your prob:
    > http://tinyurl.com/hhm32
    >
    > Maybe post a reply to see if they managed to fix it.

    Its usually caused by the senders email program using quoted printable encoding
    and them using the fancy version of apostrophes and then something along the way
    messing up the encoding type of the email.

    Tell them to either stop using word as there mail editor, to change there
    encoding to base 64 or find whats screwing with the message headers along the
    way. Mailing lists seem to be quite bad at not understanding encoding types.
    Richard, Aug 10, 2006
  5. Martin

    Mike Dee Guest

    On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 16:08:18 +1200, Martin wrote:

    > Has anybody else seen this? Client sends HTML email with apostrophe
    > characters (eg. How's) and when the email is replied to the original text
    > changes to HowR17;s

    > Any ideas would be much appreciated.

    At a guess, you are using Outlook Express version 6 or later to send HTML
    emails, it is sending UTF-8 characters (whether you intend to or not)
    probably something on the lines of: <meta http-equiv="Content-Type"
    content="text/html; charset=utf-8" /> which are not being interpreted 100%
    at the receiving end (might even be Font type differences triggering this)
    and sending back a plain text interpretation of the raw utf-8 encoding.

    --
    dee
    Mike Dee, Aug 10, 2006
  6. Martin

    Martin Guest

    "Mike Dee" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 16:08:18 +1200, Martin wrote:
    >
    >> Has anybody else seen this? Client sends HTML email with apostrophe
    >> characters (eg. How's) and when the email is replied to the original text
    >> changes to HowR17;s

    >> Any ideas would be much appreciated.

    > At a guess, you are using Outlook Express version 6 or later to send HTML
    > emails, it is sending UTF-8 characters (whether you intend to or not)
    > probably something on the lines of: <meta http-equiv="Content-Type"
    > content="text/html; charset=utf-8" /> which are not being interpreted 100%
    > at the receiving end (might even be Font type differences triggering this)
    > and sending back a plain text interpretation of the raw utf-8 encoding.
    >
    > --
    > dee

    Thanks Kent, Richard and Mike!! I will try these ideas at the client
    tomorrow. After getting Bruces reply I was beginning to think nz.comp was
    not as good as it used to be but you guys have really given me some great
    tips. I'll post a reply on the web forum mentioned if I still can't solve
    it.

    cheers / martin
    Martin, Aug 10, 2006