Apex AD-1100W suddenly displays "NO DISC" error

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by John Massachusetts Pigye, Jan 1, 2004.

  1. I couldn't explain why, but my 3 month old Apex AD-1100w DVD player says "NO DISC" on the screen in spite of having a DVD or A CD in it. I was watching "I Spit On Your Grave" and turned it off just to turn it back on in the morning to give me that error message. I didn't even remove the disc.

    John Massachusetts Pigye, Jan 1, 2004

  2. John Massachusetts Pigye

    Jerry G. Guest

    Try another disk, and if it still does not respond, you can try cleaning the
    laser lens. If this does not fix it, then bring the machine back for
    warranty service. Technically, you should take out your disk and bring it
    back without doing any self maintenance.

    These machines are not service supported by the manufacture. The dealer
    will send back the machine, and you will receive a new one on exchange. If
    they are low on inventory at the distributor, someone over there may change
    the complete laser, or main circuit board assy.

    Some dealers if they have some spares in their inventory, they will exchange
    the machine as soon as you put it down on their counter with your bill of
    sale.

    In these low cost machines, the laser assy, and spindle motors have a high
    rate of failure. The main electronics except for the power supply are
    generally reliable. Usually a machine of this level should last about 2
    years with average use.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

    "John Massachusetts Pigye" <> wrote in
    message news:1.com...

    Jerry G., Jan 1, 2004

  3. Contact Apex for warranty repair / replacement or throw it away.

    Mark Z.

    Mark D. Zacharias, Jan 1, 2004
  4. John Massachusetts Pigye

    BOB URZ Guest

    "Mark D. Zacharias" wrote:

    > Contact Apex for warranty repair / replacement or throw it away.
    >
    > Mark Z.
    >
    > --
    > Please reply only to Group. I regret this is necessary. Viruses and spam
    > have rendered my regular e-mail address useless.
    >
    > "John Massachusetts Pigye" <> wrote in
    > message news:1.com...
    > > I couldn't explain why, but my 3 month old Apex AD-1100w DVD player says

    > "NO DISC" on the screen in spite of having a DVD or A CD in it. I was
    > watching "I Spit On Your Grave" and turned it off just to turn it back on in
    > the morning to give me that error message. I didn't even remove the disc.

    Good luck with Apex. My wife bought a AD1200 DVD. It was working for
    a very short while, then started screwing up. (she did not want me to look
    at it because it was under warranty). After much phone tag and hold, she
    got a RMA from Apex and sent it back. About 3 weeks latter, a replacement unit
    came. Took it out of the box and hooked it up. Came up with "NO DISK" error
    right out of the box. Such high quality units they are......

    Bob

    BOB URZ, Jan 1, 2004
  5. John Massachusetts Pigye

    K. Hastings Guest

    We have an identicl unit and it did this same thing a few weeks ago. Since
    we had rented a DVD and the kids were disappointed we had to pop the cover
    and do a little real-time resussitation.

    So here's what we found: disc not spinning (could have figured that without
    popping lid by sound). There's not much to check on, so we wriggled all the
    pcb's and checked the inter-pcb bus cables & conectors and it started
    rotating again. It's never re-occured so we suspect a loose bus wire.
    Sorry we don't know which one specifically.

    PS you may already know but this particular unit is famous with
    technologistsbecause it is inexpensive, plays just about everything, and has
    many net-supported mods. See
    http://www.nerd-out.com/darrenk/1100W/1100W.htm for an excellent collection
    of web resources to help you if that interests you.

    K. Hastings, Jan 1, 2004
  6. John Massachusetts Pigye

    Sarah Guest

    Why? Nerd-out.com has an easy tutoring on adjusting the spring so that
    it works again. Pretty easy to do. You canalso turn the machine off
    with a disk in it & back on & it should recognize it again.

    Sarah, Jan 1, 2004
  7. John Massachusetts Pigye <> wrote in

    > I couldn't explain why, but my 3 month old Apex AD-1100w DVD player
    > says "NO DISC" on the screen in spite of having a DVD or A CD in it. I
    > was watching "I Spit On Your Grave" and turned it off just to turn it
    > back on in the morning to give me that error message. I didn't even
    > remove the disc.

    Throw it away. It isn't even worth the trouble. Buy a new one, perferably a
    Japanese brand.

    Parker Jefferson Sneeihl, Jan 1, 2004
  8. John Massachusetts Pigye

    K. Hastings Guest

    K. Hastings, Jan 1, 2004
  9. John Massachusetts Pigye

    James Sweet Guest

    "BOB URZ" <"sound(remove)"@inetnebr.com> wrote in message

    > "Mark D. Zacharias" wrote:
    >
    > > Contact Apex for warranty repair / replacement or throw it away.
    > >
    > > Mark Z.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Please reply only to Group. I regret this is necessary. Viruses and spam
    > > have rendered my regular e-mail address useless.
    > >
    > > "John Massachusetts Pigye" <> wrote in
    > > message news:1.com...
    > > > I couldn't explain why, but my 3 month old Apex AD-1100w DVD player

    says
    > > "NO DISC" on the screen in spite of having a DVD or A CD in it. I was
    > > watching "I Spit On Your Grave" and turned it off just to turn it back

    on in
    > > the morning to give me that error message. I didn't even remove the

    disc.

    > Good luck with Apex. My wife bought a AD1200 DVD. It was working for
    > a very short while, then started screwing up. (she did not want me to

    look
    > at it because it was under warranty). After much phone tag and hold, she
    > got a RMA from Apex and sent it back. About 3 weeks latter, a replacement

    unit
    > came. Took it out of the box and hooked it up. Came up with "NO DISK"

    error
    > right out of the box. Such high quality units they are......
    >
    > Bob

    Some of the Apex units are actually pretty decent, easily upgraded firmware,
    my 1500 has been working great ever since I replaced a capacitor in the
    power supply.

    James Sweet, Jan 1, 2004
  10. >
    >I couldn't explain why, but my 3 month old Apex AD-1100w DVD player says "NO
    >DISC" on the screen in spite of having a DVD or A CD in it. I was watching "I
    >Spit On Your Grave" and turned it off just to turn it back on in the morning
    >to give me that error message. I didn't even remove the disc.

    It's possible that the optical pickup could be dirty or, and I believe this is
    more likely given the nature of the DVD player in question, the disc drive has
    suffered a failure.

    I would not recommend repair of this player as the repair cost may exceed the
    value of the item, if the necessary replacement parts can be obtained to begin
    with.

    The next player you should buy ought to be a Panasonic, Sony, Toshiba, Pioneer,
    or JVC. Don't bother with anything else. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Jan 1, 2004
  11. >Why? Nerd-out.com has an easy tutoring on adjusting the spring so that
    >it works again. Pretty easy to do. You canalso turn the machine off
    >with a disk in it & back on & it should recognize it again.

    This isn't always the case, especially with Apex.

    I've worked a quite a few Apex machines before. All I can say is that they
    suck, in terms of their build quality and the low quality of a lot of the
    components they use.

    The only other brand that I find worse than Apex is Oritron. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Jan 1, 2004
  12. John Massachusetts Pigye

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <>,
    (LASERandDVDfan) wrote:

    > I've worked a quite a few Apex machines before. All I can say is that they
    > suck, in terms of their build quality and the low quality of a lot of the
    > components they use.
    >
    > The only other brand that I find worse than Apex is Oritron. - Reinhart

    What about AMW's? I've seen those selling at Circuit City for $30. I
    would imagine they must be pretty shoddy.
    --
    BL

    Black Locust, Jan 2, 2004
  13. John Massachusetts Pigye

    Mike Guest

    (LASERandDVDfan) wrote in message news:<>...

    > The next player you should buy ought to be a Panasonic, Sony, Toshiba, Pioneer,
    > or JVC. Don't bother with anything else.

    Just some comments...

    I own a Panasonic, and sure it was a great player back when it used to
    recognize dual-layered discs. I never bought another Panasonic because
    of fear of this same thing happening, but apparently this only
    happened on certain models, and I had that model. Well now I have my
    A120 in storage.

    I bought a Toshiba too but brought it back because I thought I was
    experiencing audio sync problems. And I was talked into paying 10
    dollars more for a JVC model. What a mistake! Its a slim version with
    a goldish outer casing. The guy at the electronics store said, stay
    away from Sony, go ahead with JVC because afterall they "invented
    VHS". And just what does that have to do with DVD? Anyways, I guess I
    got talked into it. Usually I don't listen to those people. The remote
    sucks, and the on-screen displays look like something one would find
    on a cheap player. First off, it doesn't indicate what kind of audio
    is playing. No indication of Dolby Digital or how many channels are
    being used. Doesn't indicate if the audio is in English, Spanish or
    whatever. And it doesn't even indicate what language the subtitles are
    in! What a lousy player! Oh but it does show the bitstream rate -
    whoop-de-doo! I sure hope JVC has changed its on-screen displays since
    then, cause they surely do suck!

    Of couse, this is just my opinion. Yours probably differs. :)

    Mike, Jan 2, 2004
  14. >Just some comments...

    And, for the record, my comments apply to new players only (which I should have
    mentioned before), where manufacturing of DVD players from Japanese
    manufacturers has matured to the point where players are more reliable now than
    they were before and are superior by a significant magnitude to the low-end
    junk that most people seem content with.

    Also, my comments stem from an overall evaluation from many people's
    experiences, not just my own, which not only include playback but repair
    experience as well.

    >I own a Panasonic, and sure it was a great player back when it used to
    >recognize dual-layered discs. I never bought another Panasonic because
    >of fear of this same thing happening, but apparently this only
    >happened on certain models, and I had that model. Well now I have my
    >A120 in storage.

    DVD-A120? Figures, but you were fortunate. You could have bought a DVD-A110
    or, worse yet the DVD-A100! The biggest problem with those players: failing
    laser pickups.

    Panasonic only started making reliable players when the forth generation models
    came out, starting with the DVD-RV30. Panasonic makes some of the best DVD
    players now. Reliability is markedly improved over the previous generations
    and they make their own MPEG engines, which are excellent.

    >I bought a Toshiba too but brought it back because I thought I was
    >experiencing audio sync problems.

    And the model number and year of purchase?

    Again, Toshiba is one of the manufacturers that has improved, although some of
    their older players were pretty good, like the SD-1200.

    Although, players with the SD-2700 mainboard had problems due to capacitors
    C927, C928, and C929 failing, but those are easy to fix and the mainboard
    version in question has been replaced a long time ago.

    The only big problem with Toshiba players is that quite a few of them,
    especially the low end models, use the Zoran Vaddis series of MPEG engines.
    They aren't bad, but they have a problem with the chroma upsampling error, but
    this is a problem only if you know what to look for and can notice it. The
    biggest problem is that Toshiba players tend to introduce the "jaggies" when
    they downconvert 16:9 anamorphic video for use on standard 4:3 displays.

    >And I was talked into paying 10
    >dollars more for a JVC model. What a mistake! Its a slim version with
    >a goldish outer casing.>The remote
    >sucks, and the on-screen displays look like something one would find
    >on a cheap player.

    JVC's weakpoint is questionable ergonomics. Other than that, they are
    excellent players in terms of picture and sound quality, and they are fairly
    reliable players to boot. Your complaints about JVC stem from the fact that
    they are not user-friendly. But, where are the complaints about reliability
    and picture quality? JVC players generally use Mediamatics MPEG engines, which
    are good.

    And, yes, I do agree that the salesman was full of it when he tried to equate
    VHS with DVD. Although, JVC is still a good recommendation because they make
    good DVD players, ergonomic issues aside.

    >Of couse, this is just my opinion. Yours probably differs. :)

    Considerably, as well as which opinions are more accurate.

    The problem with Apex players, and others, are far greater than those you've
    mentioned.

    They use cheap materials, typically with very loose tolerances. This is
    particularly true with their power supplies.

    They also typically use cheaper disc drives from a Chinese or Taiwanese
    supplier, which usually don't last any appreciable amount of time.

    Various parts of the player, such as the audio and video process sections, are
    not as carefully designed, which results in picture and sound quality that
    pales to players from more reputable manufacturers. The fact that substandard
    parts are used along with a design that just merely works only exacerbates the
    situation. As an example, did you ever see the audio frequency response range
    that a typical Apex DVD player has? Not pretty!

    The only three things that makes the no-name players desirable is the fact that
    you can get a few of them to play just about anything, are really cheap, and
    that they will still have better picture quality than VHS. Other than those
    points, I see no redeeming value in any of these players, especially if you
    want the best possible quality DVD playback without breaking the bank on a
    Meridian. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Jan 2, 2004
  15. >What about AMW's? I've seen those selling at Circuit City for $30. I
    >would imagine they must be pretty shoddy.
    >--

    I've never heard of them before! Then again, at $30 a piece, you're probably
    right! - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Jan 2, 2004
  16. John Massachusetts Pigye

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <>,
    (LASERandDVDfan) wrote:

    > DVD-A120? Figures, but you were fortunate. You could have bought a DVD-A110
    > or, worse yet the DVD-A100! The biggest problem with those players: failing
    > laser pickups.

    Yep. That's what happened to my DVD-A110. Although it took over 3 years
    of heavy use for that to happen. It was a very solid, reliable player up
    until that point.
    --
    BL

    Black Locust, Jan 2, 2004
  17. >Yep. That's what happened to my DVD-A110. Although it took over 3 years
    >of heavy use for that to happen. It was a very solid, reliable player up
    >until that point.
    >--

    There is a thing that makes up for this problem, though. Panasonic went head
    over heels to satisfy a lot of people who had those problems.

    I also have a DVD-A110 which stopped working. Even though it was out of
    warranty, Panasonic went ahead and repaired it anyways, completely free of
    charge, when I asked their customer service about the problem.

    Right now, it sits as a spare until my current player, a Sony DVP-S360, bites
    the dust.

    If people lost faith in Panasonic because of this player, it would be restored
    because Panasonic seems willing to take care of their customers.

    Not all cases end like this, but it seems a lot of them involving the affected
    players do, either with a free repair of the player or a free replacement. -
    Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Jan 4, 2004