    So I popped the drive out and plugged it into my PC, and a black resistor
    closr to the power input overheats. I've read people actually getting this
    drive working. Any ideas on the heat problem?

    Brad P, Jul 24, 2004

  2. On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 20:18:37 -0230, "Brad P" <>
    wrote:

    >My APEX 600a DVD player is shot, it won't power up anymore. $50 to fix.
    >
    >So I popped the drive out and plugged it into my PC, and a black resistor
    >closr to the power input overheats. I've read people actually getting this
    >drive working. Any ideas on the heat problem?

    The drive's shot. A direct replacement with another DVS DVDrom unit
    will work. Toshiba units will also work with a firmware update.
    Details at www.nerd-out.com

    .. Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Jul 25, 2004

  3. Brad P

    Brad P Guest

    Thanks for the reply...will check it out.

    Brad P, Jul 25, 2004
  4. Sounds like a short in the power supply. If it is a large fat power
    resistor that is getting hot, then
    look for a short at one end of the resistor to ground. Look for a
    zenner diode or a diode to
    see if it is shorted. Look for very low resistance across filter
    capacitors. Make sure your
    unplugged from the wall when doing this.

    Brooks

    BrooksVanPall, Jul 25, 2004
  5. On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 09:25:39 -0700, BrooksVanPall
    <> wrote:

    >Sounds like a short in the power supply. If it is a large fat power
    >resistor that is getting hot, then
    >look for a short at one end of the resistor to ground. Look for a
    >zenner diode or a diode to
    >see if it is shorted. Look for very low resistance across filter
    >capacitors. Make sure your
    > unplugged from the wall when doing this.
    >
    >Brooks

    Yes but he said that moving the DVDrom to another unit caused the
    second unit to also have an overheating resistor, therefore it is the
    DVDrom that is actually CAUSING the short, right? And these DVS
    DVDroms have been known to develop shorts across the 5volt bus.

    . Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Jul 25, 2004
  6. Brad P

    Brad P Guest

    Its only the one unit, DVD-ROM unit that is. I removed it from the DVD
    Player and plugged it into my PC.

    I should try plugging it into my DVD Player again and see if it heats (if it
    powers up for me)

    Brad P, Jul 26, 2004