    TIA,

    Conrad
    Camp Sherman, Oregon

    Conrad, Nov 16, 2006

  2. Conrad

    Andy Hewitt Guest

    Conrad <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm presently using Photoshop CS2 on a MacMini. I'm quite satisfied
    > with the program and how I use it.
    >
    > What people is Apple's Aperture aimed at? Does it run on the Windows
    > platform?

    Aperture is a RAW workflow manager. You use it to import your images (it
    can adjust other images as well), and can replace Photoshop if you only
    use it to adjust images. Aperture has the advantage of not having to
    convert forats to make adjustments, so you can easily go back and change
    adjustments any time.

    On a Mac Mini it will be rather slow, and will need the RAM to be maxed.
    However, if you are trying to work this at a Pro level, then you have
    the wrong hardware anyway.

    If you are a very light user, then you'd probably be better off with
    iPhoto.

    It is not a Windows app, for that look up Adobe's Photoshop Lightroom.

    --
    Andy Hewitt
    <http://web.mac.com/andrewhewitt1/>

    Andy Hewitt, Nov 16, 2006

  3. Try using Photoshop, even with Bridge and ACR, to evaluate and process a lot
    of images and you quickly see why Apple saw an opportunity with Aperture and
    why, after acquiring Macromedia, Adobe used a Macromedia project to
    kick-start its response to Aperture, called LightRoom.

    Both Aperture and LightRoom provide fast and powerful ways of viewing and
    adjusting a lot of pictures. They don't really offer powerful layer-based
    pixel-level manipulation of images or special effects, so they actually
    complement Photoshop.

    Aperture has a head start, but it will be interesting to see how well Adobe
    plays the catch-up game - in some ways Adobe has the advantage by being able
    to target what Aperture has already achieved and then doing more.

    Ian

    Digital Photography Now
    http://dpnow.com

    Digital Photography Now, Nov 16, 2006
  4. Andy Hewitt wrote:
    > Conrad <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I'm presently using Photoshop CS2 on a MacMini. I'm quite satisfied
    >> with the program and how I use it.
    >>
    >> What people is Apple's Aperture aimed at? Does it run on the Windows
    >> platform?

    > Aperture is a RAW workflow manager. You use it to import your images (it
    > can adjust other images as well), and can replace Photoshop if you only
    > use it to adjust images. Aperture has the advantage of not having to
    > convert forats to make adjustments, so you can easily go back and change
    > adjustments any time.
    >
    > On a Mac Mini it will be rather slow, and will need the RAM to be maxed.
    > However, if you are trying to work this at a Pro level, then you have
    > the wrong hardware anyway.
    >
    > If you are a very light user, then you'd probably be better off with
    > iPhoto.
    >
    > It is not a Windows app, for that look up Adobe's Photoshop Lightroom.

    I read on the Lightroom forum that there was a trial of Aperture
    available. Followed the link, but the actual download was hidden
    somewhere I couldn't get to between some registration pages.

    If anyone has successfully d/l'ed the app, please post a link and
    directions!

    Lightroom for the Mac is similar in intent to Aperture, but is cross
    platform, one reason I prefer L/R, although I'd like to try out Aperture.

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Nov 16, 2006
  5. Conrad

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, John
    McWilliams <> wrote:

    > I read on the Lightroom forum that there was a trial of Aperture
    > available. Followed the link, but the actual download was hidden
    > somewhere I couldn't get to between some registration pages.

    i don't know what link they gave, but it is not hidden. go to the main
    aperture page:

    <http://www.apple.com/aperture/>

    and click on 'free trial' at the top right, which goes to:

    <http://www.apple.com/aperture/trial/>

    then fill out the information and receive a trial serial number.

    nospam, Nov 16, 2006
  6. Conrad

    Ken Lucke Guest

    In article <>,
    Conrad <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm presently using Photoshop CS2 on a MacMini. I'm quite satisfied
    > with the program and how I use it.
    >
    > What people is Apple's Aperture aimed at?

    Aperture is more oriented toward asset management and camera raw
    adjustments than is Photoshop. Photoshop is designed to manipulate
    images at the pixel level, Aperture at the overall level, plus its
    organizational skills (Lightroom has better options for adjustment,
    IMO, but Aperture's got FAR better organizational tools.

    > platform? Does it run on the Windows

    No. Not now, not ever, according to Apple.

    > TIA,
    >
    > Conrad
    > Camp Sherman, Oregon

    Ah, my old stompin' grounds. I've fished and floated the Metolious
    since I was a kid floatin' down it on an air mattress, and long before
    it was barbless hook only. Seen the nude hippie camps [back in the
    70-'s] at where Canyon Creek empties into it. Saddened by the fire a
    couple of years ago, although glad it didn't make it all the way to
    Camp Sherman itself. Been on top of all three Sisters, Bachelor,
    Broken Top, Jefferson, Washington, & Three Fingered Jack. I spent a
    week over there about a month ago (stayed at Eagle Crest, though), got
    some fantastic pictures of Smith Rock at daybreak. Lemme know when
    there's a good snowfall over there (should have been, the last week or
    so, but probably not down low enough), 'cause I've got several
    locations scouted for some snow pictures I want.

    Ken Lucke, Nov 16, 2006
  7. Conrad wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm presently using Photoshop CS2 on a MacMini. I'm quite satisfied
    > with the program and how I use it.
    >
    > What people is Apple's Aperture aimed at? Does it run on the Windows
    > platform?

    Note that Aperture will only work with the new INTEL based MacMini. It
    won't install (let alone run) on the older PowerPC based MacMini (nor
    iBook). It requires a fast graphics card that neither the PowerPC
    MacMini nor the iBook have.

    - Peter

    Peter Lawrence, Nov 16, 2006
  8. nospam wrote:
    > In article <>, John
    > McWilliams <> wrote:
    >
    >> I read on the Lightroom forum that there was a trial of Aperture
    >> available. Followed the link, but the actual download was hidden
    >> somewhere I couldn't get to between some registration pages.

    > i don't know what link they gave, but it is not hidden. go to the main
    > aperture page:
    >
    > <http://www.apple.com/aperture/>
    >
    > and click on 'free trial' at the top right, which goes to:
    >
    > <http://www.apple.com/aperture/trial/>
    >
    > then fill out the information and receive a trial serial number.

    Thanks. "Hidden" was a poor choice of words. The page that now comes up
    and effects the download (affects it, too!) wouldn't come up the last
    time I tried it. It's going on in the bg now.

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Nov 16, 2006
  9. Peter Lawrence wrote:
    > Conrad wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I'm presently using Photoshop CS2 on a MacMini. I'm quite satisfied
    >> with the program and how I use it.
    >>
    >> What people is Apple's Aperture aimed at? Does it run on the Windows
    >> platform?

    > Note that Aperture will only work with the new INTEL based MacMini. It
    > won't install (let alone run) on the older PowerPC based MacMini (nor
    > iBook). It requires a fast graphics card that neither the PowerPC
    > MacMini nor the iBook have.

    It will run fine on some PowerPC's, such as the G-5, which I just
    installed it on this noon.

    --
    john mcwilliams

    John McWilliams, Nov 17, 2006
  10. John McWilliams wrote:
    > Peter Lawrence wrote:
    > > Conrad wrote:
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> I'm presently using Photoshop CS2 on a MacMini. I'm quite satisfied
    > >> with the program and how I use it.
    > >>
    > >> What people is Apple's Aperture aimed at? Does it run on the Windows
    > >> platform?

    > > Note that Aperture will only work with the new INTEL based MacMini. It
    > > won't install (let alone run) on the older PowerPC based MacMini (nor
    > > iBook). It requires a fast graphics card that neither the PowerPC
    > > MacMini nor the iBook have.

    > It will run fine on some PowerPC's, such as the G-5, which I just
    > installed it on this noon.

    That's correct. It runs fine on my PowerMac G5 tower too; it will even
    run on some of the later PowerBooks with G4 PowerPC chips as long as
    the PowerBooks have a fast enough graphics processor.

    I was just pointing out to the original poster who stated that he was
    using a MacMini (but didn't state if it was an Intel based or a PowerPC
    based MacMini) that Aperture will not run on the older PowerPC based
    MacMini (nor the PowerPC based iBook).

    - Peter

    Peter Lawrence, Nov 17, 2006
  11. Conrad

    George Kerby Guest

    On 11/17/06 2:54 AM, in article
    , "Peter Lawrence"
    <> wrote:

    > John McWilliams wrote:
    >> Peter Lawrence wrote:

    >>> Note that Aperture will only work with the new INTEL based MacMini. It
    >>> won't install (let alone run) on the older PowerPC based MacMini (nor
    >>> iBook). It requires a fast graphics card that neither the PowerPC
    >>> MacMini nor the iBook have.

    >> It will run fine on some PowerPC's, such as the G-5, which I just
    >> installed it on this noon.

    > That's correct. It runs fine on my PowerMac G5 tower too; it will even
    > run on some of the later PowerBooks with G4 PowerPC chips as long as
    > the PowerBooks have a fast enough graphics processor.
    >
    > I was just pointing out to the original poster who stated that he was
    > using a MacMini (but didn't state if it was an Intel based or a PowerPC
    > based MacMini) that Aperture will not run on the older PowerPC based
    > MacMini (nor the PowerPC based iBook).
    >
    > - Peter

    Works fine on my PowerBook G4 1.67MHz. Though I have installed 2 GB of ram.

    George Kerby, Nov 17, 2006
  12. Conrad

    Ken Lucke Guest

    In article <C1832401.11307%>, George Kerby
    <> wrote:

    > On 11/17/06 2:54 AM, in article
    > , "Peter Lawrence"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > > John McWilliams wrote:

    Snip

    > > based MacMini) that Aperture will not run on the older PowerPC based
    > > MacMini (nor the PowerPC based iBook).
    > >
    > > - Peter
    > >

    > Works fine on my PowerBook G4 1.67MHz. Though I have installed 2 GB of ram.

    There's also a third-party hack/patch for up to v1.1 that allows it to
    run on some earlier models (ignoring processor and/or memory
    requirements) that Apple doesn't support. I ran it on a G4 867mhz
    machine until I upgraded to the latest G5. Slow as a slug, but it ran.
    The patch usually follows the upgrade version by about 30 days, so it
    should be coming out for v1.5 soon.

    Ken Lucke, Nov 17, 2006
  13. Conrad

    Conrad Guest

    Hi,

    Thanks to all for taking the time to answer my question about Apple's
    Aperture program. I think I'll try the 30-day trial from Apple.

    Best,

    Conrad

    PS My MacMini is the Intel based model.

    Conrad, Nov 19, 2006