    anything I could be doing wrong or any quirk of the camera to know about?

    Thanks
    Dee
    Guest, Jul 23, 2003

  2. Guest

    Jim Townsend Guest

    wrote:

    > I'm just starting to get into exploring the settings on my Canon S30 camera,
    > but am noticing that changing the aperture setting doesn't seem to have as
    > much of an effect as images I see in magazines and on the net would suggest
    > it would. The difference between the maximum f8 and the minimum f2.8 seems
    > to be much less than I would expect from what I have seen and read. Is there
    > anything I could be doing wrong or any quirk of the camera to know about?

    Welcome to the world of tiny focal lengths...

    The imaging sensor in your camera is less than half the size of the fingernail
    on your little finger. As a result, everything involved in focusing is scaled
    down accordingly.

    On a 35mm film camera, you might expect a 38-105mm lens. On todays modern
    digicams they are only 5-10mm.

    Consider that aperture is the ratio between the focal length and the size of
    the opening. So on a larger film camera, a 50mm f/2 lens would have a maximum
    aperture of 25mm. On the digi, a 5mm lens at f/2 would only have a 2.5mm
    aperture.

    So you see, in digicams, even at low f numbers you still have a tiny opening.
    Because of the characteristics of light and glass, you are always going to
    have a wide depth of field through the narrow apertures. As a result, you
    just aren't going to get effects like major background blurring.

    If you want a blurred background, try it at the longest focal length (maximum
    zoom). If that isn't enough, then you might be able to simulate it through an
    image editing program like Photoshop.
    Jim Townsend, Jul 23, 2003

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    > Welcome to the world of tiny focal lengths...
    >
    > The imaging sensor in your camera is less than half the size of the

    fingernail
    > on your little finger. As a result, everything involved in focusing is

    scaled
    > down accordingly.
    >
    > On a 35mm film camera, you might expect a 38-105mm lens. On todays modern
    > digicams they are only 5-10mm.
    >
    > Consider that aperture is the ratio between the focal length and the size

    of
    > the opening. So on a larger film camera, a 50mm f/2 lens would have a

    maximum
    > aperture of 25mm. On the digi, a 5mm lens at f/2 would only have a 2.5mm
    > aperture.
    >
    > So you see, in digicams, even at low f numbers you still have a tiny

    opening.
    > Because of the characteristics of light and glass, you are always going to
    > have a wide depth of field through the narrow apertures. As a result, you
    > just aren't going to get effects like major background blurring.
    >
    > If you want a blurred background, try it at the longest focal length

    (maximum
    > zoom). If that isn't enough, then you might be able to simulate it

    through an
    > image editing program like Photoshop.

    Thanks Jim, that makes sense.

    At least I can feel like it's not me or my camera that's wrong now. I'm
    quite happy using photoshop to get the effect I want, would just have been
    nice to play with those settings on the camera. Doesn't seem worth it now.

    Dee
    Guest, Jul 23, 2003