    removed the USB devices.

    How do I go about fixing this?

    , Aug 6, 2007

  2. sandy58 Guest

    On Aug 6, 7:49 pm, wrote:
    > I was having a problem with my computer. Microsoft had a technical
    > article which stated to delete from device manager all my USB devices,
    > reboot, and let the system PNP the devices back.
    >
    > That fixed that problem, however my APC UPS quit working after that.
    > It no longer shows up as an HID device. When I plug it in, Windows
    > detects it as "Unknown Device." Installs the drivers for that and
    > says it's installed, then says it may be malfunctioning. It looks
    > normal (not red) in device manager.
    >
    > When I attempt to re-install APC software PE, it says it can not
    > detect an APC UPS.
    >
    > I have installed the latest drivers for this motherboard. It's an
    > Asus A8N-SLI P and I have updated the nVidia chipset drivers.
    >
    > Obviously this is a software problem since it happened exactly when I
    > removed the USB devices.
    >
    > How do I go about fixing this?

    System restore?

    sandy58, Aug 7, 2007

  3. Paul Guest

    wrote:
    > I was having a problem with my computer. Microsoft had a technical
    > article which stated to delete from device manager all my USB devices,
    > reboot, and let the system PNP the devices back.
    >
    > That fixed that problem, however my APC UPS quit working after that.
    > It no longer shows up as an HID device. When I plug it in, Windows
    > detects it as "Unknown Device." Installs the drivers for that and
    > says it's installed, then says it may be malfunctioning. It looks
    > normal (not red) in device manager.
    >
    > When I attempt to re-install APC software PE, it says it can not
    > detect an APC UPS.
    >
    > I have installed the latest drivers for this motherboard. It's an
    > Asus A8N-SLI P and I have updated the nVidia chipset drivers.
    >
    > Obviously this is a software problem since it happened exactly when I
    > removed the USB devices.
    >
    > How do I go about fixing this?

    There is a procedure here, and they claim the removal should be done in
    a certain order. They recommend setting "Show Hidden Devices" in Device
    Manager.

    http://www.usbman.com/Guides/Cleanup Device Manager Safe Mode.htm

    If the UPS is plugged directly into the computer, you may be able to see
    it listed with this. UVCView appears similar to another USB listing
    application you can download from Microsoft. I don't really know
    what part of the stack has to be functional, for this to display
    device data. This app is purely a "warm and fuzzy", and tells you
    the hardware isn't broken. It doesn't debug the stack or the
    registry or do anything useful.

    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/stream/vidcap/UVCViewdwn.mspx

    The drivers themselves, are actually Microsoft drivers that work with
    a standard hardware interface. Nvidia and other chipset makers, adhere
    to that standard. It allows the Microsoft drivers to work with all of
    them. If the OS was something like Win98SE, then you'd need a separate
    driver, like the OrangeMicro ones for USB2. The Microsoft drivers were
    made available via certain Service Packs. The usbman.com site has
    more info on that.

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 7, 2007
  4. Guest

    The first link is basically what I did, just from a Microsoft
    technical article. It took a while as I have a lot of USB devices.

    The second link is nice. It shows that enumeration is expecting a
    buffer length of 18, but got 0.

    I'm going to attempt to try a different cable & the attempt to connect
    to a different computer just to make certain I don't have some
    hardware issues.

    If not, I'll follow that first link and do that again.

    Thanks!

    , Aug 8, 2007
  5. Guest

    Ends up the problem is with the APC UPS itself. If I plug in another
    APC UPS of the same type, everything is fine.

    I just replaced the battery with another APC battery, and that portion
    works. But I didn't spend the extra $10 to extend the warranty. I
    guess the thing to do is use this UPS elsewhere and get a new one for
    the PC.

    , Sep 8, 2007
  6. Guest

    I replaced the old APC 550 with an APC 1500 BX1500LCD;
    http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/prod...AFEED->PRODUCTS&cm_ite=1 PRODUCT&cm_keycode=3

    It has a real bad burn plastic smell. I assume that's the new. But
    it also has a high pitched modulated squeal every other second. Is
    that normal? It's not loud. With just the UPS plugged in and nothing
    in the UPS, it still makes that sound. If I unplug the UPS, the sound
    goes away but the fan kicks in and it makes other sounds. If I turn
    the UPS off, the sound goes away.

    While it isn't loud, it is annoying because of the modulation.

    Do these models all make that sound, or did I get a lemon?

    , Sep 11, 2007
  7. Paul Guest

    wrote:
    > I replaced the old APC 550 with an APC 1500 BX1500LCD;
    > http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=163987&WT.mc_n=3&WT.mc_t=U&
    > cm_ven=COMPARISON%20SHOPPING&cm_cat=CNET&cm_pla=DATAFEED-%3EPRODUCTS&cm_ite=1%20PRODUCT&cm_keycode=3
    >
    > It has a real bad burn plastic smell. I assume that's the new. But
    > it also has a high pitched modulated squeal every other second. Is
    > that normal? It's not loud. With just the UPS plugged in and nothing
    > in the UPS, it still makes that sound. If I unplug the UPS, the sound
    > goes away but the fan kicks in and it makes other sounds. If I turn
    > the UPS off, the sound goes away.
    >
    > While it isn't loud, it is annoying because of the modulation.
    >
    > Do these models all make that sound, or did I get a lemon?

    I wasn't able to find a real review for your unit. This is for the BR
    model, and on the APCC site, the specs look identical, except one unit
    weighs 1 pound more than the other. I tried looking in the APCC.com
    knowledgebase, but didn't find a reference to differences between BR
    and BX.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16842101067

    Specs pages.
    http://www.apcc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BR1500LCD
    http://www.apcc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BX1500LCD

    There is a reference to AVR boost and trim here.
    http://nam-en.apc.com/cgi-bin/nam_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2877

    The noise could be the inverter operating every couple of seconds, to
    trickle charge the battery. Let the unit charge for as long as the manual
    suggests the thing needs to recharge when first used. If it doesn't settle
    down, consider returning it if the noise bothers you.

    In the reviews I've looked at, noise doesn't seem to be a common complaint.
    Naturally, there are designs that will be noisy, such as a double conversion
    unit that is running all the time, even when the AC is fine.

    A line interactive UPS should be "more active" than the cheapest SPS kind
    (what I'm using right now). But my SPS is cool, quiet as a mouse (no fan),
    and the battery life has exceeded expectations, so I'm quite pleased with
    my APC650.

    "The Different Types of UPS Systems" - not enough detail for my liking...
    http://www.apcmedia.com/salestools/SADE-5TNM3Y_R5_EN.pdf

    Paul

    Paul, Sep 11, 2007