    is charging.

    Shouldn't it have more than 0% by this time??

    Mel
    MB_, Dec 2, 2004

  2. MB_

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "MB_" <> wrote in message
    news:rKwrd.413$...
    |I use the APC ES-500 as a battery backup for my Dell 2400 system.
    |
    | We had a 15-hour power failure. At the time my computer was off, but
    | obviously the battery got drained.
    |
    | So the power has been back on for 5 hours (and I have been using my
    computer
    | for that time).
    |
    | But the software still indicates that the battery capacity is 0% and that
    it
    | is charging.
    |
    | Shouldn't it have more than 0% by this time??
    |
    | Mel

    Probably. How old is the unit? Most of the batteries in UPS devices need to
    be replaced every one to two years.
    Toolman Tim, Dec 2, 2004

  3. MB_

    MB_ Guest

    Hi Toolman:

    I forgot that the cable modem was also attached to the APC. That is always
    on, so perhaps it drained the APC.

    Currently the APC now says it is 70% charged. It sure seems SLOW....

    Mel

    MB_, Dec 2, 2004
  4. MB_

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Once it's charged, run it's self-test, just to be sure ;o)

    "MB_" <> wrote in message
    | Hi Toolman:
    |
    | I forgot that the cable modem was also attached to the APC. That is always
    | on, so perhaps it drained the APC.
    |
    | Currently the APC now says it is 70% charged. It sure seems SLOW....
    |
    | Mel
    |

    | "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    | >
    | > "MB_" <> wrote in message
    | > |I use the APC ES-500 as a battery backup for my Dell 2400 system.
    | > |
    | > | We had a 15-hour power failure. At the time my computer was off, but
    | > | obviously the battery got drained.
    | > |
    | > | So the power has been back on for 5 hours (and I have been using my
    | > computer
    | > | for that time).
    | > |
    | > | But the software still indicates that the battery capacity is 0% and
    | > that
    | > it
    | > | is charging.
    | > |
    | > | Shouldn't it have more than 0% by this time??
    | > |
    | > | Mel
    | > |

    Toolman Tim, Dec 3, 2004
  5. MB_

    MB_ Guest

    Do you mean unplugging it and seeing if it kicks in?

    MB_, Dec 3, 2004
  6. MB_

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Never! That disconnects the ground, and can cause damage both to the
    equipment and the devices plugged into it. There should either be a switch
    on the unit for testing, or there should be a software test in PowerChute.
    Or if you have a switched outlet like a surge protector strip, power down
    everything, and put the switch between the AC and the UPS. Then you can flip
    the switch without breaking the ground connection (although is still not
    highly recommended).

    You want to determine a couple of things about your system: how long it
    takes to fully shut down, and how long your UPS can run. It isn't good to
    have it run down without switching your system off. That's what the software
    and USB cable is for. Once you know how long you need, in the APC PowerChute
    software, set the shutdown delay and such to a few minutes more than your
    computer actually takes to shut down, but not more than you expect the
    batteries to last. (The ES-500 wouldn't be adequate for my system - if
    everything is on, the batteries would drain before the system shut down.)

    I took a quick look at the specs on that unit, and it said that it requires
    16 hours to fully charge.

    "MB_" <> wrote in message
    | Do you mean unplugging it and seeing if it kicks in?
    |
    | Mel
    | "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    | > Once it's charged, run it's self-test, just to be sure ;o)
    | >
    | > "MB_" <> wrote in message
    | > | Hi Toolman:
    | > |
    | > | I forgot that the cable modem was also attached to the APC. That is
    | > always
    | > | on, so perhaps it drained the APC.
    | > |
    | > | Currently the APC now says it is 70% charged. It sure seems SLOW....
    | > |
    | > | Mel
    | > |
    | > |