    What web page groups should I join to ask in their forums for general advice
    about PC issues, any 'top 3' forums you would recommend or anything?

    Thanks for any recommendations.
    Tony Tee, Sep 26, 2007

  2. Tony Tee

    Mike Easter Guest

    Tony Tee wrote:

    > What web page groups should I join to ask in their forums for general
    > advice about PC issues, any 'top 3' forums you would recommend or
    > anything?

    IMO Inmyopinion you shouldn't.

    Why would anyone want to 'communicate' with a browser in a community of
    people who like to communicate with browsers?

    Newsgroups and an nntp newsreader work way better than mailing lists or
    webforums. There's less 'html-ness' and there's much better 'retention'
    of your own posts for your records of what you said about what in the
    past.

    If you post to a webforum, what do you do about retaining a copy of what
    you said/asked about what came before? How do you go about saving
    something that someone said in reply?

    Why would you want a moderator to be 'in control' of the 'mute button'
    on whatever is being said by whoever is standing on the box in Hyde
    Park?

    If you want to know where to read and write in a webforum, I guess you
    should go ask some people who like to read and write with their browser
    in webforums, not the people who don't.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Sep 26, 2007

  3. Tony Tee

    Tony Tee Guest

    > IMO Inmyopinion you shouldn't.
    >
    > Why would anyone want to 'communicate' with a browser in a community of
    > people who like to communicate with browsers?
    >
    > Newsgroups and an nntp newsreader work way better than mailing lists or
    > webforums. There's less 'html-ness' and there's much better 'retention'
    > of your own posts for your records of what you said about what in the
    > past.
    >
    > If you post to a webforum, what do you do about retaining a copy of what
    > you said/asked about what came before? How do you go about saving
    > something that someone said in reply?
    >
    > Why would you want a moderator to be 'in control' of the 'mute button'
    > on whatever is being said by whoever is standing on the box in Hyde
    > Park?
    >
    > If you want to know where to read and write in a webforum, I guess you
    > should go ask some people who like to read and write with their browser
    > in webforums, not the people who don't.
    >

    > --
    > Mike Easter

    Well don't get me wrong Mr Easter, I appreciate everything you just said,
    but the reason
    for asking was simply because I have found I could never get a straight
    answer in here, lots of trolls and smart alecs trying to be witty, so it's
    nice to have a back up plan lol
    Tony Tee, Sep 26, 2007
  4. Tony Tee wrote:
    > I'm guessing this is the best usenet group to come to when you have a
    > computer question that needs advise, but what about the world wide
    > web?
    >
    > What web page groups should I join to ask in their forums for general
    > advice about PC issues, any 'top 3' forums you would recommend or
    > anything?

    None. Use Usenet. Over a hundred thousand Usenet groups, and you think
    you need some klunky web-based forum (that's probably just a kluge to
    rip off Usenet groups and present them as their own)? Get outta town.

    You've shown you can post to Usenet. You've shown you can read replies
    on Usenet. You've shown you can reply to them on Usenet. Why downgrade
    to web crap?

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Sep 26, 2007
  5. Tony Tee

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 02:49:03 +0100, "Tony Tee"
    <> wrote:

    >Well don't get me wrong Mr Easter, I appreciate everything you just said,
    >but the reason
    >for asking was simply because I have found I could never get a straight
    >answer in here, lots of trolls and smart alecs trying to be witty, so it's
    >nice to have a back up plan lol

    And you expect anything different from people not smart enough to use
    Usenet?
    Evan Platt, Sep 26, 2007
  6. Tony Tee

    chuckcar Guest

    "Tony Tee" <> wrote in

    > Well don't get me wrong Mr Easter, I appreciate everything you just
    > said, but the reason
    > for asking was simply because I have found I could never get a
    > straight answer in here, lots of trolls and smart alecs trying to be
    > witty, so it's nice to have a back up plan lol

    Well, that sounds good on the surface, but 1. you don't get the same
    level of expertise on the web versus usenet. Usenet has been around
    longer and is more tailored to being "user configured" if you follow me
    and as Mike mentioned. Sure you get trolls and kiddies, but you just pay
    attention to the others and sift. You don't find diamonds without
    throwing away some mud. Web forums can (and do) filter out *right*
    answers because the moderator thinks it's not phrased in exactly the way
    he wants. There's a whole spectrum here BTW.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Sep 26, 2007
  7. Tony Tee

    Guest

    "Tony Tee" <> wrote:

    >I'm guessing this is the best usenet group to come to when you have a
    >computer question that needs advise, but what about the world wide web?
    >
    >What web page groups should I join

    If I were to join any web site it would be www.FARK.COM, but they want
    $5 a month and I certainly don't pay for access.

    Computer help? Google plain and simple.
    Yesterday I was playing FARCRY and couldn't turn around after an
    update - Third google hit (reset the default settings)
    --
    This doesn't happen often - ?NSFW?
    http://www.pizdaus.com/pics/28KHqQcfrZYJ.jpg
  8. Tony Tee

    Guest

    wrote:

    >best usenet group to come to when you have a
    >>computer question

    Oh ya if you have XP and can't get an answer here, post your problem
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
    Lots of MVP's hang around there and they do filter out the riffraff.
    --
    This doesn't happen often - ?NSFW?
    http://www.pizdaus.com/pics/28KHqQcfrZYJ.jpg
    , Sep 26, 2007
  9. Tony Tee

    VanguardLH Guest

    "Tony Tee" wrote ...
    > I'm guessing this is the best usenet group to come to when you have
    > a computer question that needs advise, but what about the world wide
    > web?
    >
    > What web page groups should I join to ask in their forums for
    > general advice about PC issues, any 'top 3' forums you would
    > recommend or anything?

    Depends on the question.
    VanguardLH, Sep 26, 2007
  10. Tony Tee

    VanguardLH Guest

    Pennywise wrote ...
    > microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
    > ... and they do filter out the riffraff.

    They do? Then why do my posts still show up there (wink wink)? ;->
    VanguardLH, Sep 26, 2007
  11. Tony Tee

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Tony Tee.

    In <news:fdcbvp$qfp$> you wrote:

    > I'm guessing this is the best usenet group to come to when you have a
    > computer question that needs advise, but what about the world wide web?

    Guess again ;)

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952
    Ponder, Sep 26, 2007
  12. Tony Tee

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Tony Tee.

    In <news:fdcdpe$vqd$> you wrote:

    > Well don't get me wrong Mr Easter, I appreciate everything you just said,
    > but the reason for asking was simply because I have found I could never
    > get a straight answer in here, lots of trolls and smart alecs trying to
    > be witty, so it's nice to have a back up plan lol

    I sometimes help people in need in here but as you say it's mostly filled
    with trolls, and smart alecs. It's also the source of some of the most
    amusing calls for help I've ever seen, and that's what brought me here in
    the first place. It's not the first line for help, it never was and it
    never will be.

    Generally, if you want help on a topic, look for a group set up that's
    relevant to the help you're trying to seek, and ask there. eg. if you want
    help with Vasta then ask in microsoft.public.windows.vista, not this den of
    comedians ;)

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952
    Ponder, Sep 26, 2007
  13. Tony Tee

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-09-26, Tony Tee <> wrote:
    > I'm guessing this is the best usenet group to come to when you have a
    > computer question that needs advise, but what about the world wide web?
    >
    > What web page groups should I join to ask in their forums for general advice
    > about PC issues, any 'top 3' forums you would recommend or anything?
    >
    > Thanks for any recommendations.

    This newsgroup isn't particularly about computers, and the support and
    help part of the name aren't restricted to being supportive or helpful to
    other people with problems (although that can happen). (The desk is a red
    herring).

    There are lots of newsgroups which are intended for discussing various
    computer-related and internet-related topics; there is a whole comp.*
    heirarchy for a start, as well as many alt.* groups and heirarchies
    created by &/or for users of particular makers' products (eg opera,
    microsoft, borland, ...).

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Sep 26, 2007
  14. Tony Tee

    Another Guest

    > Well don't get me wrong Mr Easter, I appreciate everything you just said,
    > but the reason
    > for asking was simply because I have found I could never get a straight
    > answer in here, lots of trolls and smart alecs trying to be witty, so it's
    > nice to have a back up plan lol

    alt.hacker has some knowledgeable regs for computer and other technical
    questions. Unfortunately the group does not have much activity anymore.
    Another, Sep 26, 2007
  15. Tony Tee

    Mike Easter Guest

    Tony Tee wrote:
    <my cite>

    >> If you want to know where to read and write in a webforum, I guess
    >> you should go ask some people who like to read and write with their
    >> browser in webforums, not the people who don't.

    > I have found I could never get a
    > straight answer in here, lots of trolls and smart alecs trying to be
    > witty, so it's nice to have a back up plan

    A back up plan and a before plan would be to adquately research your
    question on the web and in the newsgroups using googlegroup's search and
    some kind of websearch engine like googleweb.

    In the course of researching GG, you will discover various usenet groups
    where your problem has been discussed before, most likely you would even
    find the answer you are seeking.

    Having discovered the usenet groups where people talk about the topic of
    your interest/question, the next thing you should do is to quickly scan
    several dozen messages of the group so that you can get a sense of what
    the group and its 'players' are like.

    Then you can write your question intelligently and in harmony with the
    group. It is highly unlikely that you would experience problems with a
    well written question written in an informed way and posted into the
    correct/best group for the topic.

    That strategy doesn't involve posting to a webforum at all. Posting to
    a webforum is only necessary when there isn't a newsgroup which is
    likely to be helpful for the particular issue -- personally I would
    never post a question to a webforum alone, but also into a ng. If I got
    my answer in the webforum and not the ng, I would go back to the ng and
    post the answer I had discovered in the webforum.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Sep 26, 2007
  16. Whiskers wrote:

    > (The desk is a red
    > herring).

    I always imagined it being maple.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Sep 28, 2007
  17. Tony Tee

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-09-28, Rôgêr <> wrote:
    > Whiskers wrote:
    >
    >> (The desk is a red
    >> herring).

    > I always imagined it being maple.

    I think that's just the sauce.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Sep 28, 2007
  18. Whiskers wrote:
    > On 2007-09-28, Rôgêr <> wrote:
    >> Whiskers wrote:
    >>
    >>> (The desk is a red
    >>> herring).

    >> I always imagined it being maple.

    > I think that's just the sauce.

    Herring with maple sauce. Uh.....ew! :)

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 28, 2007
  19. Tony Tee

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-09-28, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    > Whiskers wrote:

    >>> I always imagined it being maple.

    >> I think that's just the sauce.

    > Herring with maple sauce. Uh.....ew! :)