    checked all wires and connections but cannot get the beast to respond.

    Any tips on how to troubleshoot this beast would be greatly
    appreciated.

    Trapper John, Oct 13, 2005

  2. Trapper John

    N. Miller Guest

    On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 21:16:11 -0400, Trapper John wrote:

    > Hi, need some help t-shooting a problem. I have a Motorola WA840G set
    > up. I have no problem connecting to the access point with XP Pro and
    > get 4 bars of signal, but cannot hit the internet or ping the AP. It
    > just plain doesn't work. Have tried setting the IP on the client,
    > checked all wires and connections but cannot get the beast to respond.
    >
    > Any tips on how to troubleshoot this beast would be greatly
    > appreciated.

    What are you using for a gateway device? How does it authenticate to the
    ISP?

    --
    Norman
    ~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain

    N. Miller, Oct 13, 2005

  3. have you tried resetting the router by pressing the reset button for
    more than 5 seconds?

    that will restore factory settings and at least its a reliable starting
    point

    hth

    philip ashley

    Philip Ashley, Oct 13, 2005
  4. I have a reply that might be relevant in the thread "Cant see wireless
    network".

    I had a similar problem because the machines I was setting up were running
    Norton Internet Security 2005. The default settings for this block
    absolutely everything - the AP/router etc must be listed as a trusted device.
    Otherwise, when Explorer is opened for the web, it just sits there and
    eventually times out as Norton is blocking the access attempt. Also, other
    machines on the network do not appear as they are not listed as trusted - as
    I was setting up two machines at the same time, both with new Norton
    applications, neither would respond to the other as neither were trusted by
    the other. Took some time to realise this was a problem in the firewall and
    not in the network settings.

    =?Utf-8?B?SmVzc2Vy?=, Oct 13, 2005
  5. Trapper John

    Trapper John Guest

    On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 23:58:56 -0700, "N. Miller"
    <> spewed:

    >What are you using for a gateway device? How does it authenticate to the
    >ISP?

    I have a cable modem running to a linksys wireless/router. I have 1
    machine connected to the router and another wire out of the router to
    an onque switch that distributes to wall jacks all over the house.
    Out in the garage I have an 8 port hub/switch plugged into the wall,
    with one machine on a wire and the access point in another port in the
    hub.

    Trapper John, Oct 14, 2005
  6. Trapper John

    Trapper John Guest

    On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 09:11:17 GMT, "Philip Ashley"
    <> spewed:

    Yep done all the simple stuff, resets, checked connections tried it
    directly from the wall, instead of the hub it was plugged into etc.

    Trapper John, Oct 14, 2005
  7. Trapper John

    Trapper John Guest

    No firewall software between the box and the AP. I can take the
    laptop into the house where I have a Linksys wireless router and
    connect and hit the network just fine. I'm having problems will all
    my machines (toshiba laptop and compaq laptop) connecting to the AP,
    not just a single device.

    On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 06:15:05 -0700, Jesser
    <> spewed:

    Trapper John, Oct 14, 2005
  8. Trapper John

    Jack \(MVP\) Guest

    Hi
    I do not know what you mean by strong connection, seeing Signal Bars indicate presence
    of signal but it does not mean that you actually have a valid Wireless connection.
    Are the AP and the Router on the same subnet.
    If not you need to connect the AP a computer (using crossover cable) that has TCP/IP set
    to Auto (using crossover cable). Log to the AP change its core IP to be of the same
    subnet as the source Router. If the Router's DHCP is On disable the DHCP on the AP.
    When done connect the AP back to the Router and try to configure the connection.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP\), Oct 14, 2005