    Mike Webb
    Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc.
    a 501 (c)(3) conservation non-profit organization

    Mike Webb, Aug 28, 2007

  2. Hi
    Using Additional APs connected to the main Router with cables is more
    flexible and provides better Wireless.
    If cable is Not a viable solution and you Must use WDS, you would have
    restricted capacities and lower bandwidth (that the way it is WDS, ergo more
    restrictions).
    It is possible (but expensive) to create a better WDS of sort that allows
    more flexibility.
    Use an AP in client mode, and connected it with a short cable to a second AP
    that sits next to it configured as a regular Access Point. The first AP
    receives the signal and transfer it with the wire to the second AP that
    would transmit it further.
    By doing so you create with the two APs your own Repeater with two Radios.
    Having two Radios and two independent units instead of one unit that
    Flip-Flops, can provide more flexibility in configuring the Wireless
    Network.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Aug 28, 2007

  3. Mike Webb

    Mike Webb Guest

    I appreciate the feedback, but have some follow-up questions.

    I have my primary AP connected to the switch (a D-Link managed switch that
    can do VLAN's), which is part of the domain. My router has an IP outside
    the domain (2-NIC server). How would I still do VLAN's with the router? And
    to you agree with D-Link that their AP set in AP mode (only has 3 -- AP, WDS
    with AP, and WDS), MUST be wired to a client PC?

    Mike

    Mike Webb, Aug 29, 2007
  4. I can not answer you about the VLAN issue it depends on too many variable
    that are unknown to me.
    An Access Point configured as an Access Point needs a Cable, that the way
    APs work.
    The only mode that an Access Point doesn't not need a cable plugged into is
    Repeater/WDS.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Aug 29, 2007
  5. Mike Webb