    removed an expired McAfee program from their computer.

    Thanks for any suggestions.
    Paul

    Paul Welch, Aug 12, 2006

  2. Paul Welch

    simon Guest

    "Paul Welch" <> wrote in message
    news:eek:8lDg.9137$...
    > Help. My neighbor's AOL 9.0 is working on Broadband, but their Internet
    > Explorer is not working.
    > They have two computers with this condition. Both are on WinXP, with a
    > single Bellsouth DSL connection through
    > a Belkins 54 wireless connection. I have tried every setting I can think
    > of but can't make their Internet Explorer get access and work on line.
    > They can access the Internet through AOL but not directly with Internet
    > Explorer.
    > The only Firewall or antivirus they have is through AOL. They just
    > removed an expired McAfee program from their computer.
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestions.
    > Paul

    If they can connect using the AOL software and browse then the connection is
    OK and the wireless set up is working correctly. If it's a case of Internet
    Explorer not working or showing up web sites it could have something to do
    with proxy settings.
    Try TOOLS / INETERNET OPTIONS / CONNECTIONS / LAN Settings
    Click on Automatically detect settings.

    The only reason IE stops showing web pages is when proxy server details are
    put in or the ISP DNS server is broken, or even when the wireless networking
    is not working as it should. So to narrow it down - if they can use
    everything apart from IE, it must be the settings. The only other thing to
    do is try Google and see the millions of others with similar problems.

    simon, Aug 12, 2006

  3. Paul Welch

    Paul Welch Guest

    simon wrote:

    >"Paul Welch" <> wrote in message
    >

    >>Help. My neighbor's AOL 9.0 is working on Broadband, but their Internet
    >>Explorer is not working.
    >>They have two computers with this condition. Both are on WinXP, with a
    >>single Bellsouth DSL connection through
    >>a Belkins 54 wireless connection. I have tried every setting I can think
    >>of but can't make their Internet Explorer get access and work on line.
    >>They can access the Internet through AOL but not directly with Internet
    >>Explorer.
    >>The only Firewall or antivirus they have is through AOL. They just
    >>removed an expired McAfee program from their computer.
    >>
    >>Thanks for any suggestions.
    >>Paul

    If they can connect using the AOL software and browse then the
    connection is

    >OK and the wireless set up is working correctly. If it's a case of Internet
    >Explorer not working or showing up web sites it could have something to do
    >with proxy settings.
    >Try TOOLS / INETERNET OPTIONS / CONNECTIONS / LAN Settings
    >Click on Automatically detect settings.
    >
    >The only reason IE stops showing web pages is when proxy server details are
    >put in or the ISP DNS server is broken, or even when the wireless networking
    >is not working as it should. So to narrow it down - if they can use
    >everything apart from IE, it must be the settings. The only other thing to
    >do is try Google and see the millions of others with similar problems.

    Simon,

    I'm convinced it is the Internet Explorer settings as we get "Cannot
    find server - Microsoft Internet Explorer"
    This happens even when we have a connection with AOL. On the Lan
    Settings I have tried auto-detect settings and it didn't help. I
    thought maybe a Firewall or something is blocking it. But McAfee is
    gone so the only Firewall would be AOL or BellSouth. I wonder if the
    MS Security is set to high?

    Thanks
    Paul

    Paul Welch, Aug 12, 2006
  4. Paul Welch

    Thoronwen Guest

    In article <o8lDg.9137$>, pwelch109
    @bellsouth.net says...
    > Help. My neighbor's AOL 9.0 is working on Broadband, but their
    > Internet Explorer is not working.
    > They have two computers with this condition. Both are on WinXP, with a
    > single Bellsouth DSL connection through
    > a Belkins 54 wireless connection. I have tried every setting I can
    > think of but can't make their Internet Explorer get access and work on
    > line. They can access the Internet through AOL but not directly with
    > Internet Explorer.
    > The only Firewall or antivirus they have is through AOL. They just
    > removed an expired McAfee program from their computer.
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestions.
    > Paul

    Paul,

    Try the following commands at a command prompt:

    netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
    netsh winsock reset

    If the problem persists, post back with more details: Do any other
    Internet applications work outside of AOL? For example, other browsers,
    mail programs, instant messengers? Can you ping names or addresses of web
    sites?

    While you are waiting for more responses, google lspfix (the first
    character is an L, not the number 1 ... some fonts don't make that
    clear). You could try a System Restore back to a day when Internet
    Explorer was working.

    Just a few thoughts,

    Thoronwen, Aug 13, 2006